1 thing about Dominick Reyes

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Joseph_McBride, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Joseph_McBride Red Belt

That people are overlooking, he's only been fighting pro for 5 years. For comparison:

-Garbrandt was only 4 years into his career when he beat the 135 Goat Dom Cruz.

-Cejudo was only 5 years into his career when he beat the 125 Goat Mouse Johnson.

-Weidman was only 4.5 years into his career when he beat 185 Goat Anderson Silva.

-Frankie Edgar was 5 years into his career when he beat the 155 Goat(at the time) BJ

When a young blue-chip fighter is only a handful of years into their career, they often get a lot better between each fight. Not saying Reyes is going to win, but he fits the bill of the guy nobody saw coming to upset the Goat of a particular weight class.

2. muaytao Brown Belt

3. TriangleMonkey Red Belt

The more Im watching his fights now I see him more and more of threat to Bones.

I mean if Im betting the house its on Jon, but I like Reyes chances here. I like some of the things did in the Cannonier fight, he took big shots, defended well, mixed his offense well, and finished with a nice counter punch.
    He is not afraid to chop the lgs with leg kicks either. He needs to chop Jons legs before Jon gets to chipping away with his side kicks to the legs.

4. Local Plata Hitchslap Belt Yellow Card

I hope you're right. I feel like he might be a year or two away from having the experience to hang with Jones, but I'm rooting for him.

5. Portland8242 Black Belt

But his ground game sucks.

I want to think Reyes has a legit shot but if he surrenders even 1 takedown he's doomed.

6. Post 2 Decision Gold Belt

I just want to see the cheater lose already I don't even care who does it

Call me salty all you want, I'm tired of the special treatment this steroid abuser gets from the UFC. He'll get what's coming to him eventually.

7. Ares Black Asteroid Belt

Win or lose I think a lot of people will be surprised by how competitive this fight is.

8. SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

You know what happens even more often than those guys? Nate Quarry v Rich Franklin, Woodley v Till, fights like that.

My guess is that if I tried, I would find 3 or 4 more examples of guys 5 years into their career who get wrecked by champs or soon-to-be-champs, for every one you find who does great. If I tried.

Sometimes guys who are 4-1 underdogs win. Usually they don't. Gun to my head, I would take Jones -400 over Reyes +300. But that's just me.

9. Ares Black Asteroid Belt

The whole point of the thread is that fighters improve a lot early in their careers. We have not seen Reyes' ground game enough to get a real sense of it, and no one has seen Reyes at his peak yet.

10. VVarhead Banned Banned

He will get dominated, sorry.

11. FrankDux I'm tired of labels...

I'm curious to see who decides to take the game to the ground first. Also curious to see how Dominick does in rounds 4-5, should he make it there. He's never fought more than 3 rounds in his MMA career. I think if Reyes wins, it'll be in the earlier rounds...if he makes it to the champ rounds then I don't see Jones losing.

12. Paynebringer Titanium Ape Planet Belt... Always Defend ♠♠♠

<{hughesimpress}> I don't know man, I say Reyes gets Championship fight schooling by Professor Jones like all the other students...

13. SpoonDogg Green Belt

I'm having some serious Silva/Weidman vibes with this fight and i don't really know why.

14. Clear Winner Big Poppa Pars

All apart from Cejudo lost their belts to people who were more than 5 years into their careers. Just like that, your point is moot.

15. Wise1 Black Belt

Interesting...

16. Joseph_McBride Red Belt

No, because my point was they WON the belt. Can't lose it if you don't win it

17. rurouni Black Belt

Jones via whatever and whenever he wants.

18. CleverNameEh All out of bubblegum

The big thing about beating an unbeatable is just not being mentally defeated beforehand.

He looks like a chipper young idiot and he seems unfazed by Jones in face-offs, which I think is going to be his biggest asset.

I thought the same thing about Anthony Smith, but as the fight drew near, he started looking scared as fuck, and then sure enough, he froze on fight day.

If Reyes can just not be fazed, he at least has a chance of making it a fight and seeing what he can do.

I dropped a couple bucks on him for giggles.

19. Ares Black Asteroid Belt

Hey, member when Jones couldn't finish Anthony Smith or Thiago Santos?

I member.

20. maidana Banned Banned

All the names you dropped were already very accomplished on a high level in combat sports before fog

You can't compare a high school IT guy turned NFL wannabe turned pro-fighter to legit fighters that were already competing on a very high level in combat sports before fighting:
    Cody Garbrandt: 32-0 in amateur boxing, NCAA Div II drop out
    Cejudo: Olympic gold medalist in wrestling
    Weidman: NCAA Div I All American
    Frankie Edgar: NCAA Div I

Compared to them Dominick Reyes is a kid playing with legos wanting to be an astronaut.