1 simple rule to an early stoppage

To quote you both, coz I think you both are correct
You're right , I completely agree.
The problem is that a judgment has to be made one way or another.

I believe TJ would have gone unconscious due to repeated strikes via GNP within the next 10 seconds or less. To me, it was evident. Now as a referee, do you wait until he eats a shot that sleeps him ? Is that the final deciding factor for a stoppage?

Its tough
That next blow could be a blow that permanently hurts him/her
In cases like this, a ref's job is hard

If we go by the "Ref's number one priority is to protect the fighter" than I agree with the call
In summary, it's always a balance between two thoughts:

- let 'em fight / resist
&
- save 'em from the further punishment

and, you have to do the judgement in the exact moment

that's why I rarely hate ref's decisions

If we are uncertain whether a fighter would get TKOd then it is an early stoppage.

If we are certain that they would get TKOd then it is a good stoppage.

TJ just ate like 3 big shots from Henry and he was about to get slept on the ground sooner or later. Had the ref let it keep going, TJ would of been out before he could ever get back to his feet.

Its that simple. Good stoppage.
Snake's head clean off
Simple?? Lol a referee would slap your across the face for such an ignorant comment.
No 2 stoppages are the same and there's nothing simple about their job. It's a tough job. Terrible post

TJ's last fight got stopped with his opponent still standing. He can quit bitching whenever he's ready.

I believe it was stopped a little early, but I also believe TJ would have lost anyway.

You're right , I completely agree.
The problem is that a judgment has to be made one way or another.

I believe TJ would have gone unconscious due to repeated strikes via GNP within the next 10 seconds or less. To me, it was evident. Now as a referee, do you wait until he eats a shot that sleeps him ? Is that the final deciding factor for a stoppage?
It should be, the let lesner eat shots until Darwin was gassed and could hit anymore.

It’s funny how some refs let it go on “to long” and the guy weathering the storm ends up winning.

The lesner Carwin fight is exactly why it should be lights out or corner throws in the towel , not ref stoppage.

If we are uncertain whether a fighter would get TKOd then it is an early stoppage.

If we are certain that they would get TKOd then it is a good stoppage.

TJ just ate like 3 big shots from Henry and he was about to get slept on the ground sooner or later. Had the ref let it keep going, TJ would of been out before he could ever get back to his feet.

Its that simple. Good stoppage.
Snake's head clean off
So you set up the criteria for good or bad stoppages

This fight fits the criteria for bad stoppage

You call it a good stoppage

<Dylan>

Even if it was an early stoppage (which it wasn't), do we really think that a dazed Dillashaw was going to single leg an Olympic gold medalist?

TJ face planted and was real wobbly, it was a good stoppage even though it could have went longer. From the refs stand point he had to protect an obviously wobbled fighter who face planted.

I think the ref could use a standing 8 count rule in those situations, TJ would be deducted a point and if he could continue the ref resumes the action. So many fights are ruined by the ref panicking or seeing something that is only reality for the briefest of moments but ultimately ends up being the final verdict.

I've never understood why ref decisions are always irreversible, you don't see that shit in other sports anymore.
That's a crap rule for mma. If the fight is on the ground, you're giving the guy a shot to recover after getting rocked, and a better chance to recover position on the reset

That's a crap rule for mma. If the fight is on the ground, you're giving the guy a shot to recover after getting rocked, and a better chance to recover position on the reset
The ref would only use it if he felt he called the fight prematurely. I know it's not a perfect solution, but so often these big fights are marred by stoppages were the "loser" isn't done yet.

When I was watching it, I felt it should be stopped
But when TJ got up ASAP, I saw he could have fought more

its tough because you don't want a fighter to get brain damage

I can't call the decision a bad one

I was actually the opposite, when it was stopped I felt like it should have kept going longer just to leave no doubt. But, when TJ stood up and needed the refs help to keep his balance before he found his own than I was okay with the stoppage. Tough calls, the refs get a lot of hate for a very tough job.

TJ face planted and was real wobbly, it was a good stoppage even though it could have went longer. From the refs stand point he had to protect an obviously wobbled fighter who face planted.
Agree, but look at it from TJ's perspective he regularly has guys that hurt in training and instead of stopping he tries to crush their skull with an additional knee, or two.

Back