1 Rep vs 5 or more Reps?

Jmukhalian

White Belt
Reaction score
I was wondering which is better for a workout program? working up to a 1 Rep max and doing multiple sets with perfect form, or doing 5 Reps of a moderate weight with your form degenerating through out the reps?
This is what made me think of this question.
YouTube - Mark Rippetoe: Deadlift Back Angles

If you work up to a true one rep max your form isn't going to be perfect. It's also unlikely you will be able to do multiple sets with your true 1rm. Perfect form is something you should strive for but is not going to happen on max sets.

When I mean 1 RM I mean the highest possible weight you can use while maintaining perfect form or at least a close to perfect as possible

Both. I've had the best success when I am working both singles and 5+ rep sets. Right now my program is basically singles one day of the week and sets of 5 the other day of the week. There is a bit of variation with volume and such, but the idea is to work both rep ranges.

Both. I've had the best success when I am working both singles and 5+ rep sets. Right now my program is basically singles one day of the week and sets of 5 the other day of the week. There is a bit of variation with volume and such, but the idea is to work both rep ranges.

Right on. I used that "program" for deads and saw great results. I think it is really important to work both rep ranges into a program. Sets of 5 around 80% of your 1RM to build a base one day. A bunch of singles around 90-95% of your 1RM to get you used to pulling heavy and not missing reps the next

+1 on varying the rep ranges. But it really comes down to a person's goals.

I believe working up to a 1 rep man versus a 5 rep max depends on your goals. It's a choice depending on the focus of the lift, it's purpose to your program etc. Neither is better nor worse.

prilepinchart6030355.jpg

This is Prilepin's table. It's based on data collected from thousands of Soviet Weightlifters. Fewer reps per set than those listed, and the set probably isn't sufficient to provide stimilus to get stronger. More reps per set and technique, and/or rep speed starts to suck too much. And while not a matter raised by this thread, more total reps than listed by the table, and you're probably doing too much, less total reps than listed by the table, and you're probably not doing enough.

Now, not everything has to follow Prilepin's table, especially not accessory work, or hypertrophy work. And it doesn't describe ramping sets very well...for stuff like that it gets complicated, and becomes stuff that only people who like both math and lifting want to think about. But it does an extremely good job (better than anything else I've seen, and probaly will ever see) of answering the question: "How many reps, how many sets, and at what intensity(I.e. weight)?"

It really depends on your goals, but you should always focus on maintaining good form, regardless of the amount of reps you are doing. If you are working up to a 1rm your form might suffer a bit, but you should always be focusing on utilizing correct form.

Both is important.

Most gymrats tend to work higher rep ranges more often though so would probably notice more gains initially from mostly heavy singles.

One of the instructors at my Gym, who can Bench 180K, told me that you can't get good at Singles unless you make them a regular part of your program. But at the same time, other rep ranges are also necessary.

Unsurprisingly, he's a big fan of Wendler's 5/3/1.

I do a couple of singles when im done with my 5/3/1 sets, seems to be working out, obviously i never reach my 1rm but my singles get heavier every week.

Back