1/5 of my goal achieved last night!

Hellboy31

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I know these threads are a bit frowned upon by some but I had to let you guys know.... Got my blue belt last night! We got the heads up that we were having promotions about a week ago - I figured I had a 50/50 chance but was still pretty surprised when my Professor called my name.

I try to not think about promotions and only about progressing in this art but I can't help but be proud of what I've achieved. Truly a great feeling.

I know it will be asked so in total, I have about a year and a half of training. I trained about 9 months of no gi and 3 months of gi then ended up taking off about a year and a half - I've been back on the mat for about 7 months now (about half gi and half no gi). I usually train anywhere between 4 and 6 days a week for about two hours a day.

A part of me feels like I'm not quite ready yet but I know my Professor is a better judge than I am. Besides I can always grow in to it :). It's definitely given me to the motivation to step up my training so I can progress from scrub ass blue to a competent blue belt competitor.

So happy to have completed my first milestone on this journey... Next stop Purple Belt!

I'll give you the exact advice I was given when I received my blue.

"Welcome to the club! Now don't go around ***gin' it up for the rest of us."

Get Saulo's book....It gives some really good insight on what a white belt motivation should be. Don't want to give it away, but it's not really so much about technique. It's more mental than anything else...

Screw the people who hate these promotion threads. It's a great day in your BJJ life dude. Express it and enjoy it.................

Get Saulo's book....It gives some really good insight on what a white belt motivation should be. Don't want to give it away, but it's not really so much about technique. It's more mental than anything else...

Screw the people who hate these promotion threads. It's a great day in your BJJ life dude. Express it and enjoy it.................

Thanks Man! I've been meaning to get Saulo's book.. Maybe I'll pick it up this weekend.

I did the math a while back.

Every belt is 25% of your way towards the goal of making Black Belt.

White Belt = 0%
Blue Belt = 25%
Purple Belt = 50%
Brown Belt = 75 %
Black Belt = 100%

Each stripe is 5%. I try to use this as motivation for each baby step. Congrats and keep training.

Congrats I don't mind promotion threads at all. Nothing wrong with sharing an accomplishment.

However...you may have cleared 1 of 5 belts but you aren't 1/5 of the way to black belt (if that was the goal you mentioned), imo.

Wait....so 1/5? So you're just going to quit once you get your black? Never heard of that before.

JK :)

Nice job man

congrats man, that's a lot of training and now you have an official ranking to show for it. Just please, for the love of God, dont quit now :D

Thanks for all the support guys!

There's no way I'm quitting now, I'm just getting started. :)

I did the 1/5th of my goal title because there's about 497 "i got my blue belt" threads so thought I'd be a little original. But I also say I'm 1/5 of the way to my goal because I would like to teach and open up my own school once I make it to black belt. I'm hoping I never stop learning and never stop training.

Thanks again for the kind words guys!

I need to get promoted one day. Being a 2.5 year white belt kind of blows.

given the growth in time between belts, I'm not sure I'd even say 1/5
beltwise though, yes

given the growth in time between belts, I'm not sure I'd even say 1/5
beltwise though, yes

Yeah the math behind the 1/5 is pretty off here.

Blue belt = 1/5
Purple belt = 2/5
Brown belt = 3/5
Black belt = 4/5 ???

I guess that makes sense if you say Red belt = 5/5, but beltwise you are 1/4 of the way to black belt when you get your blue belt.

1/4 of the way there works for me..

Math never was my strong suit...

well like I said though that's only belts...it's about time invested too

white to blue took you how long? is it going to take you more or less than that to get to purple? and then to brown?

blue's 1/4 of the belts, but only maybe 15% of the way there, scarily enough

I did the math a while back.

Every belt is 25% of your way towards the goal of making Black Belt.

White Belt = 0%
Blue Belt = 25%
Purple Belt = 50%
Brown Belt = 75 %
Black Belt = 100%

Each stripe is 5%. I try to use this as motivation for each baby step. Congrats and keep training.

lol but shouldn't the relationship be exponential and not linear?

percentage of the goal doesnt change, but the time and effort increases per level

(not directed soley towards you of course, but because you have it laid out mathematically i thought i would expand on your post and add a caveat)

Congrats man! However, you will never pass your purple belt test without knowing how to divide! ;-)

Back