1/4 mile run time

S.D.Force said:
Michael Johnson does it in around 43sec. and your telling us that if we are in great shape then we too should be doing it in under a minute????

Not by any means is that unrealistic though it may be tough.

its not good cause you're supposed to sprint that

if ur running like 3 miles in a row, it'd be ok for ur average man, since most people (in general its sad that state of fitness in our coutnry) can't run 1 mile in under 8 minute

it depends on how long and far you are running

1/4 mile, you should be sprinting it, so like a minute to min 30 is ok

S.D.Force said:
Michael Johnson does it in around 43sec. and your telling us that if we are in great shape then we too should be doing it in under a minute????
the difference between under a minute and in 43 seconds is TREMENDOUS. Shit the difference between 45 and 43 seconds is pretty fucking big.

if i ran just the one 400metres all out at 100 percent i could do under 1 minute... ive done intervals at 1.07 before... but man.. i would be totally screwed.. like really really tired
doing just one 400metres at under 1 minute is tough lol

bruceleevegas said:
well i ran a quarter mile today and got 2:47 is this good ?
You might need to check if it's a quarter mile or a half mile. Big difference in time. Back in high school when I did 4 sets of 4x400m (16 laps total) repeats I used to average around 70 sec for each 400m. If it was just one set I averaged around 62-64 sec each. God I wish I could do those now. I'm totally out of any cardio shape.

I knew guys that played JUCO basketball that had to run a quarter of a mile in under 70 seconds. So yeah, that time sucks balls.

i asked my P.E teacher how long did we run on friday and he sais it was so i'm wondering if 2:47 is a good time for 1/2 mile?

teep said:
Depends on weight but 45 seconds is good
45 seconds is world class you idiot. 1/4 mile is for all intents and purposes 400m.

S.D.Force said:
The difference in metres between Michael Johnson's world record and a one minute lap is nearly 100m. So when he's crossing the finish line you would be entering the home straight. Shit, I remember at school we had a tournament called City Sports where athletes from all the city's major schools would compete. A lad in my year called Peter Booth ran about 53 seconds for the 400m. We were 16 at the time.

I couldn't find any non competition marks for the 400m. But extrapolating the pacing from the 300m sprint FBI physical fitness test to a 400m event gives:

Points Time
0 >70 seconds
5 61 seconds
10(max) 55 Seconds

So a good time for a generally fit person would be ~1 minute. The absolute time is probably off a few seconds since the pace will not scale in a linear fashion necessarily but close enough for discussion.

Secondary data point a local PD has a minimum pre-academy qualification for a 515 yard of 1:52. That puts a 400yard run at ~1:17 as a minimum pace.

I ran it in high school and I regularly ran right at or right over 1 minute in races. I think I got under a minute only once, but am not sure. I was not the best of runners and was more a distance guy anyways, but I was not terrible. Doing it in 1 minute is unrealistic for someone who doesn't run regularly. Under 70 would be more realistic for an athlete who doesn't run regularly, and between 53 and 59 is good for winning varsity races in high school track where I am from.

I am 260 and did it in 1:15. That is a good time bro. Keep at it

That is why I said it was good.

For those of you thinking you just add up 400 meters to get 1600 meters speed it doesn't work that way. Or middle distance guys would win ultra marathons.

if it is world class , so its not just "good" its nearly as perfect ..

im gonna give it a shot , a good time for an inter what would be ?

I ran the 400m in high school and I got around 56-57. I think you measured your distance wrong. And... the 400m sucks ass. Its like death.

teep said:
That is why I said it was good.

For those of you thinking you just add up 400 meters to get 1600 meters speed it doesn't work that way. Or middle distance guys would win ultra marathons.
55-60 is good. 45 isn't achievable by 99.99999999999999999% of the world's population.

My best 400m was 54 seconds. Best mile time was 5:34. I wish I had the wind I had when I was a runner, but I sacrificed it for muscle mass and strength. I sprint a hell of a lot better now than I did before though.

Back