1/3 Californians are on MediCal

Feel free to take it up with the SCotUS.

American culture is not a weakass culture like that of european countries

America's 'culture' is not having one. It's a mixture of different cultures which results in no real roots or anything to hold on to, which is why immigrants have such an easy time integrating into American society, because there's no culture to adapt to. Unlike Europe, which actually has culture. The USA has great wealth, not great culture. If immigrants have no interest in it, that speaks volumes about them, not about Europe.

Last edited:
America's 'culture' is not having one. It's a mixture of different cultures which results in no real roots or anything to hold on to, which is why immigrants have such an easy time integrating into American society, because there's no culture to adapt to. Unlike Europe, which actually has culture. The USA has great wealth, not great culture. If immigrants have no interest in it, that speaks volumes about them, not about Europe.

??? Americans most certainly have a culture. There are lots of uniquely American things we do.

America has no culture? really? you sound like a rustled european.

And the reason why America seems to be more diverse, is because America is huge as fuck when compared to european nations, so there are more regional variations of American culture, there is no denial that America has produced a great deal of artists, writers, films that have reached far and beyond.

America is the France of the modern world.

Well, everyone has that subtle but steadily-growing suspicion that the collapse of civilization is quite nigh in the back of their minds.

Little bit of that, I admit, I am in my late 20's and doing fairly well for myself, but I've had a long life, and that's with my many blessings. My wife and I talk about kids now and then, but we always settle on no. We both feel if we had kids now and the job market stays as it is, what will be waiting for them in 2035? Not to mention the environment, crumbling healthcare systems, and things like mental illness and drug addiction that can happen even if you try your very best as a parent.

It's scary as hell.

Then start punishing businesses for hiring illegals. It's not a coincidence immigration dropped during the recession.

Hey man . . . I'm right there with ya. Reform has to start some place.

Total tax burden (including fees--we're looking at all gov't revenue) by state varies from about 7% to about 12% as a share of the overall economy and for the most part are bundled very closely. But they vary a lot based on where that 10% or so is coming from. For example, the top 1% of family earners in Texas pay 2.9% of their income in state and local taxes (including fees), while the bottom 20% pays 12.5% of their income. In Oregon (just randomly picked another state), the top 1% pays 6.5%, while the bottom 20% pays 8.1%.

Check the site I linked to (http://www.itep.org/whopays/). You can scroll over the states to get a bigger-picture look at it or click on them to get more detail, and on the home page, you can click on the full report for more details. You'll see that a lot of "high-tax" states really just collect a lot more from people at the top of the income distribution and a lot of "low-tax" states really just collect a lot less from people at the top. They aren't necessarily "high-tax" or "low-tax" for most of the residents.

Oh ok I see what you mean now. I had no clue that's really interesting. Thanks for that definitely going to check out the link.

This article is about a bill that would give illegal immigrants healthcare. This means that the 1/3 of people in MediCal are citizens and permanent residents.

You'd be pretty dumb to blame illegals for 1/3 of californians being on socialized healthcare when they dont draw from it to begin with.

Yep. Not to mention California was in trouble long before Obamacare.

right, so because the middle 20 cause a drain, we should amplify that drain with illegal immigrants, great logic there son.

What the hell are you talking about? The whole premise of the OP is that the middle class in CA is carrying a heavy tax burden due to immigration. Jack pointed out that the middle 20% in CA has low taxes compared to most states, especially compared to red states (middle and poor pay higher % of income, rich payer lower % of income).

So obviously the TS has his head up his ass and so do you because no one said the middle 20% is causing a drain and I didn't say we should "amplify that drain" whatever that means.

"Star punishing businesses that hire the illegals!"

That'll just result in higher prices and higher criminality, as people that had legit jobs before are forced to go underground.

The solution is amnesty and a clear path to legalization. You want all the illegals to pay taxes and move up into the middle class? Then make them legal.

Because legalization is basically impossible right now for most of the undocumented. The standard chart for any immigration thread where idiots spout off like they know something.

immigration-flow-chart.jpg

Full-sized pic here: http://reason.com/blog/2014/11/20/legal-immigration-explained

So... what's the basis of your citizenship?

Being born to parents who are US Citizens.

If Denter is actually arguing that birthright citizenship shouldn't exist for kids born to US Citizens I disagree with him.

If Denter is arguing that birthright citizenship shouldn't exist for kids born to folks who are NOT US Citizens I agree with him.

Any questions?

Being born to parents who are US Citizens.
And the basis for their citizenship?

If Denter is actually arguing that birthright citizenship shouldn't exist for kids born to US Citizens I disagree with him.

If Denter is arguing that birthright citizenship shouldn't exist for kids born to folks who are NOT US Citizens I agree with him.

Any questions?
No questions except the above.

Already asked an answered . . . later.
So your parents were born in the US to citizens of the US. What was the basis of your grandparents citizenship?

So your parents were born in the US to citizens of the US. What was the basis of your grandparents citizenship?

Just spit it out already . . . stop dancing around whatever clever point you're trying to make.

Back