1.15 million PPV buys for Pac-Marquez 4

Pac Marquez 5 will do way more buys than 4, anyone who doesnt think so is nuts. How can it not? Pac was KO'd that gives the rematch a lot of appeal, ppl wanna see if he can come back.

Look at Lewis Rahman 2, their first fight was on hbo the rematch was the 2nd highest grossing ppv of the year next to tito hopkins.

I agree it will do more, but that guys numbers prediction was a BIT high lol

also 6 years of annoying MMA media and fans coming out of the woodwork twice a year everytime boxing produces a lackluster main event " see, that's what's wrong with boxing " blabla ...

But...but....boxing is dead after Floyd and Manny retire hurr durr.

GSP doesn't draw because I had more fun watching paint dry a couple times. It's part because he's that damned good and part he has a safe strategy.

Yet Money Mayweather is still a cashcow? Mayweather is better than GSP in his sport, has a safe strategy at times, and has been called boring by some. MMA fans just need to accept that their favorite sport has still not come close to passing up boxing and to be honest probably never will.

5 will be 1.45 book mark this. GSP doesn't draw because I had more fun watching paint dry a couple times. It's part because he's that damned good and part he has a safe strategy. Part that still in modern MMA so many people are not refined and have no concept of cage generalship that its unreal

MMA (UFC) in particular has gone down in numbers as far as PPV buys is concerned. Jones vs Belfort only did 450,000 which is average. Silva vs Bonnar was 410,000.

However Silva vs Sonnen pulled in 925,000 buys. Which is very good, but not as great as compare to what Lesnar would pull in.

MMA needs a shot of steroids in the veins. Lesnar was that shot but he left after getting badly exposed. Kimbo was just a fluke hype.

They need someone who has the appeal but also the skills to be on top while attracting fans with their charisma or conventional "muscle" look.

Silva provides great highlite reels and he still cannot pull in big numbers all because he hardly speaks any English.

MMA (UFC) in particular has gone down in numbers as far as PPV buys is concerned. Jones vs Belfort only did 450,000 which is average. Silva vs Bonnar was 410,000.

However Silva vs Sonnen pulled in 925,000 buys. Which is very good, but not as great as compare to what Lesnar would pull in.

MMA needs a shot of steroids in the veins. Lesnar was that shot but he left after getting badly exposed. Kimbo was just a fluke hype.

They need someone who has the appeal but also the skills to be on top while attracting fans with their charisma or conventional "muscle" look.

Silva provides great highlite reels and he still cannot pull in big numbers all because he hardly speaks any English.

Do you think Canelo will have a difficult time pulling numbers, once he starts fighting ppv?

Do you think Canelo will have a difficult time pulling numbers, once he starts fighting ppv?

No. Mexican fans love the guy. He pulls in as much ratings in Mexico has their national soccer team does which is huge.

It all depends on who he beats as far as attracting American crowd. If he does beat Mayweather, than forgot about it.

No. Mexican fans love the guy. He pulls in as much ratings in Mexico has their national soccer team does which is huge.

It all depends on who he beats as far as attracting American crowd. If he does beat Mayweather, than forgot about it.

If he defeats Mayweather, he will arguably be king of Mexico.

Canelo's a bit on an anomaly, anyways.

Win or lose to Floyd, the kids headed for super stardom, imo.

And it was hinted by MMA media that at least half those buys came from Canada.

Canada getting 400,000 PPV buys is like the USA getting 4 million buys. Don't be stupid! Canada is a VERY small country and likely got no where close to half the PPV buys

Last edited:
Canada getting 400,000 PPV buys is like the USA getting 4 million buys. Don't be stupid! Canada is a VERY small country and likely got no where close to half the PPV buys

Canada can produce plenty of buys. Word was before Pascal produced over 300k buys for one of his fights. Canada is a big PPV country. In fact in many of the events Canada is the top market. One of the Jon Jones fights which did about 450k was said by MMA payout to have recieved 50k from Canada. That's not even a fighter marketed toward Canada, they could get over 300k easily with a star like GSP.

Here's a link for the top markets for UFC 130 alone
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2011/6/9/2214899/report-ufc-130-draws-around-300k-ppv-buys-mma-news
The strongest markets for UFC 130 look to have been Las Vegas, Calgary, Toronto, Phoenix, Los Angeles, Melbourne, Sydney, Edmonton, Halifax, Winnipeg, Vancouver, Ottawa, Montreal (interesting to note that market doing well for a non GSP fight),Honolulu, Sacramento, San Diego and Orlando.

The article goes on to say:

It's interesting to note out of the 17 strongest markets, eight were Canadian cities and of all the American cities listed, only one (Orlando) was in the Eastern Time Zone.

There's definitely a good chunk coming from Canada.

The worldwide numbers in the last few years are actually quite staggering.

I have always maintained that the 'boxing is dead' crowd was a small minority of idiots led by a few self-interested MMA personalities that died off years ago. Now it is just a bogeyman used by some boxing fans, as seen on this thread, who still haven't let go of a completely irrational inferiority complex against a sport that is nowhere near as popular. Nobody actually believes boxing is dying anymore.

But in saying that, whilst the 'dead' crowd is a non-existent bogeyman, until recently most commentators were suggesting that boxing was in serious decline and this was widely accepted.

So it is somewhat incredible that the sport appears to be growing so quickly.

who's that sherdog / espn writer who wrote that " mercer beating sylvia delayed boxing's death rattles " ?

The worldwide numbers in the last few years are actually quite staggering.

I have always maintained that the 'boxing is dead' crowd was a small minority of idiots led by a few self-interested MMA personalities that died off years ago. Now it is just a bogeyman used by some boxing fans, as seen on this thread, who still haven't let go of a completely irrational inferiority complex against a sport that is nowhere near as popular. Nobody actually believes boxing is dying anymore.

But in saying that, whilst the 'dead' crowd is a non-existent bogeyman, until recently most commentators were suggesting that boxing was in serious decline and this was widely accepted.

So it is somewhat incredible that the sport appears to be growing so quickly.

They reappear during pretty much every event. The boxing is dead threads popped up in droves after Manny got knocked out. Then what happens next? Schaefer announces they're about to hold the biggest card ever.

if there's a 5th fight which i honestly hope there is...i think itll reach close to 2 million ppv buys. its a week later and people are still buzzing about the fight. especially in gyms. when you hear girls that talk about the fight that doesnt look like they even watch sports, you know its a big deal

Maybe, but i'm not so sure. I wouldn't mind seeing another rematch, but it's gonna be hard to get 2 million PPV buys when they have already had them fight 4 times. And most casuals only know about the 4th fight and how it went down because of Pacquiao's name recognition here in the states. Most casuals who have talked about the fight to me refer to Marquez as "that guy that beat Pacquiao" or only know Marquez name because they read about the fight online. Most of them didn't even know they already fought 3 times before that. I do think more people will be interested because of how the 4th fight went, and knowing that Marquez IS a real threat to Pacquiao (obviously) but i still don't think it will get 2 million buys, maybe 1.3-1.5.

They reappear during pretty much every event. The boxing is dead threads popped up in droves after Manny got knocked out. Then what happens next? Schaefer announces they're about to hold the biggest card ever.

I admit that the 'this is what's wrong with boxing' crowd still appears after every bad decision/controversy, but the 'boxing is dead/dying' guys are just trolls on msg boards - and you barely even see many of them anymore.

When was the last time anyone of any relevance suggested it?

I know years ago there were quite a few, now not a peep.

Dana White doesn't even do it. It seems his strategy now is to only mention the big matches involving Floyd/Pac in an attempt to cast the entire global sport of boxing as a 2-trick pony, which is obviously not working.

It is clear that the sport of boxing is growing steadily whilst MMA is only growing significantly in Brazil and slowly gaining footholds in small markets. And these small gains are completely offset by its demise in what was once its biggest market, Japan, and what seems to be a decline in the US.

who's that sherdog / espn writer who wrote that " mercer beating sylvia delayed boxing's death rattles " ?

Sounds like Jake Rossen. The king douche of this debate. Aside from one recent article it looks like ESPN let him go and while I don't read sherdog.com i think he left there years ago. There was another tubby dude from yahoo who always went against boxing, also got fired. He had an article about how MMA is making GSP v Silva and boxing isn't with Pac/May, this was like three years ago...fail.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back