1.15 million PPV buys for Pac-Marquez 4

oh and yes im from canada and his hype here in Toronto was big especially during the nhl lockout. but fight fans i know in the states especially on the west coast says hes not a big deal at all. canelo apparently is a bigger star than gsp in the west coast and canelo never had main evented a ppv before

Didn't Arum claim Pacquiao-Bradley done 2.1million and it turned out it only done 700k?

And 700k was a solid number for GSP, I have no idea why you would bring that up.

wait hold up what?! the GSP return only did 700 k?! one of my friends was posting all over facebook how this will do bigger numbers than oscar/floyd lol

When something is going to do bigger than Floyd-Oscar we'd know well in advance.

However, the excuse used for GSP's low buyrate was that there just wasn't alot of buzz for it. I didn't really get how that was an excuse. If there's not a lot of buzz doesn't that mean people just aren't interested? Otherwise I know well the UFC have been hyping this for ages starting with hyping his return against Diaz, then carrying that over onto Condit when Diaz lost. In any case Condit was certainly a bigger fight than UFC 129 against ????? who got jabbed all night and did nothing.

I recall 129 was around the time numbers started dipping. They hyped the shit out of that event and were def aiming for 1 million. That's when they thought they could get huge numbers without even trying. The 800k buys they got was said to be a happy dissapointment.

When something is going to do bigger than Floyd-Oscar we'd know well in advance.

However, the excuse used for GSP's low buyrate was that there just wasn't alot of buzz for it. I didn't really get how that was an excuse. If there's not a lot of buzz doesn't that mean people just aren't interested? Otherwise I know well the UFC have been hyping this for ages starting with hyping his return against Diaz, then carrying that over onto Condit when Diaz lost. In any case Condit was certainly a bigger fight than UFC 129 against ????? who got jabbed all night and did nothing.

I recall 129 was around the time numbers started dipping. They hyped the shit out of that event and were def aiming for 1 million. That's when they thought they could get huge numbers without even trying. The 800k buys they got was said to be a happy dissapointment.

700-800k is the norm for GSP fights.

Condit isn't a huge name and was coming off a controversial win which he got a lot of hate from, not to mention he didn't fight for a good 8 months prior to the GSP fight and it was a terrible card.

129 had Couture-Machida and another title fight on it.

The only other card which you could compare to 154 would be 124 but that had TUF behind it and it was a rivalry.

Simple math says those 700k buys for GSP would be more like 400k if the UFC didn't get lucky with the NHL lockout. 78% of the UFC fans in Canada are also hockey fans, and if more than half of the buys came from here then its pretty obvious the UFC doesn't get those other 300k buys based on the simple fact that hockey comes first in this country. See? Simple math.

More than twice as many people watched the ladies' curling final last spring between BC and Alberta than have ever watched a UFC event on Sportsnet up here. Not just curling, which is bad enough. Ladies curling.

More than twice as many people watched the ladies' curling final last spring between BC and Alberta than have ever watched a UFC event on Sportsnet up here. Not just curling, which is bad enough. Ladies curling.

I have no idea how this is relevant but ok.

And just a question, why do you care so much about UFC numbers? as a Boxing fan do you feel threatened for some reason?

Its just strange. Boxing and MMA have been doing great lately which proves they can co-exist.

And just a question, why do you care so much about UFC numbers? as a Boxing fan do you feel threatened for some reason?

Its just strange. Boxing and MMA have been doing great lately which proves they can co-exist.

seven years of being told your sport is dead will do that to you.

No, but as a Canadian MMA fan I am offended that the biggest promotion in the sport can't even draw half the television numbers that ladies friggin curling can in the country that is often referred to as the so-called "mecca of MMA". And the UFC couldn't do half the viewers as ladies curling with what they were calling "the greatest free card in history".

Pac Marquez 5 will do way more buys than 4, anyone who doesnt think so is nuts. How can it not? Pac was KO'd that gives the rematch a lot of appeal, ppl wanna see if he can come back.

Look at Lewis Rahman 2, their first fight was on hbo the rematch was the 2nd highest grossing ppv of the year next to tito hopkins.

seven years of being told your sport is dead will do that to you.

also 6 years of annoying MMA media and fans coming out of the woodwork twice a year everytime boxing produces a lackluster main event " see, that's what's wrong with boxing " blabla ...

It can co-exist because fan bases are different.

if there's a 5th fight which i honestly hope there is...i think itll reach close to 2 million ppv buys. its a week later and people are still buzzing about the fight. especially in gyms. when you hear girls that talk about the fight that doesnt look like they even watch sports, you know its a big deal

2 mil is a bit high

well here in canada. mainly toronto the ufc threw plenty of promotional tools for this gsp return. couldent stop hearing about from the score and sportsnet. they re ran the same materials again and again it got annoying (this what happens when theres no hockey in canada lol). but seriously they hyped gsp's return when he was in physio therapy! no excuse for the low number. Mayweather/Marquez did over a million easily and all they had was 24/7 episodes.

im honestly shocked to hear 700 k cause i recall Dana said at the last UFC in T.O GSP was the biggest UFC draw not Lesnar.

im just judging from the reactions ive been personally getting from gyms/work/ etc etc. and of course the media coverage. maybe not 2 mil but close to 2 mil. 1.5 minium maybe? just trying to imagine how it would be like if Floyd got KO'ed like that lol wouldent stop hearing about it for months

2 mil is a bit high

5 will be 1.45 book mark this. GSP doesn't draw because I had more fun watching paint dry a couple times. It's part because he's that damned good and part he has a safe strategy. Part that still in modern MMA so many people are not refined and have no concept of cage generalship that its unreal

:icon_neut then why Dana keep insisting GSP is ufc's biggest draw? lol. at the end of the day, UFC's biggest hit was Lesnar. dana can try to deny that all he wants, but its truth.

5 will be 1.45 book mark this. GSP doesn't draw because I had more fun watching paint dry a couple times. It's part because he's that damned good and part he has a safe strategy. Part that still in modern MMA so many people are not refined and have no concept of cage generalship that its unreal

if there's a 5th fight which i honestly hope there is...i think itll reach close to 2 million ppv buys. its a week later and people are still buzzing about the fight. especially in gyms. when you hear girls that talk about the fight that doesnt look like they even watch sports, you know its a big deal

I doubt 2 mil, overkill still has the potential to set in, even with the knockout generating buzz.

Well the more interesting thing about the article are the other numbers that were presented which are different than Wiki's.

Wiki(Preliminary/Unofficial)

Pac-Marquez 3 1,450,000
Pac-Mosley 1,340,000
Pac-Cotto 1,250,000
Pac-Bradley 700,000

ESPN(Official)

Pac-Marquez 3 1,250,000
Pac-Mosley 1,200,000
Pac-Cotto 1,200,000
Pac-Bradley 900,000

It would be nice to have some official numbers like this more often.

Back