My opinion is
1 Kazushi Sakuraba
2 Shinya Aoki
3 Takanori Gomi
4 Norifumi "KID" Yamamoto
5 Hayato "Mach" Sakurai

What's your opinion?

Good names in terms of the most elite fighters during their primes, good #1

I'd probably put aoki at the bottom of those 5 though..

Sakuraba
Gomi
Megumi Fujii
Horiguchi
Aoki

How do you rank them ? Most top 5 wins? Biggest Impact? Biggest Balls ?
Most skilled ? Most Talented? Most entertaining ?

Cause Aoki sucks on almost all of those metrics other then the entertainment of watching him get wrecked.

Mach Sakurai was on the path to becoming the best fighter on the planet but then things went real bad for him

Also Sakurai >>>>> Aoki

Genki Sudo, Kazuo Misaki are good mentions....maybe Dekonjonosuke Mishima and Mitsuhiro Ishida....Maybe not top 5 but top 10

Giant Ochiai
Koji Kitao
Daijiro Matsui
Tamakairiki
Yoshihisa Yamamoto

I would like to add to the list Yoshida, Funaki and Fujita.

Genki Sudo, Kazuo Misaki are good mentions....maybe Dekonjonosuke Mishima and Mitsuhiro Ishida....Maybe not top 5 but top 10

I don't recognize this name. Was he at some of the smaller weight classes back when Shooto champions were number one guys in those weight classes? Or female fighter? Can't tell from the name.

I don't recognize this name. Was he at some of the smaller weight classes back when Shooto champions were number one guys in those weight classes? Or female fighter? Can't tell from the name.

He was in Shooto, fought Gomi for title, was a DEEP LW and FW title holder. Ankle locked Charles Bennett in Pride and also fought in UFC he started in Shooto in 98

He was in Shooto, fought Gomi for title, was a DEEP LW and FW title holder. Ankle locked Charles Bennett in Pride and also fought in UFC he started in Shooto in 98

I think I vaguely remember that Bennett fight. Need to check this guy out.

I've asked this before, but...

What do you think it takes for Kyoji Horiguchi to get the reputation and status of someone like Kid Yamamoto?

It's always hard to compare a retired legend to someone whose in the middle of doing his thing, but now that Kyoji's a Shooto and Rizin bantamweight champion, along with someone who went 7-1 in the UFC, is he anywhere close?

Below I've put their resumes side by side, but to be fair I didn't include Kid's losing streak once he fell out of his prime.

Kid Kyoji.jpg

I've asked this before, but...

What do you think it takes for Kyoji Horiguchi to get the reputation and status of someone like Kid Yamamoto?

It's always hard to compare a retired legend to someone whose in the middle of doing his thing, but now that Kyoji's a Shooto and Rizin bantamweight champion, along with someone who went 7-1 in the UFC, is he anywhere close?

Below I've put their resumes side by side, but to be fair I didn't include Kid's losing streak once he fell out of his prime.

View attachment 320131
Find out he is related to a famous family
Embrace hip hop culture
Divorce and become a heartthrob
Challenge K-1
Take a bad boy persona
Fight names comparable to a Gracie, Uno, Sudo, and Miyata instead of unknown guys

Find out he is related to a famous family
Embrace hip hop culture
Divorce and become a heartthrob
Challenge K-1
Take a bad boy persona
Fight names comparable to a Gracie, Uno, Sudo, and Miyata instead of unknown guys
Would Kron Gracie or Tatsuya Kawajiri help (even though he just beat the guy who beat Kawajiri)?
How about Tenshin?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gladiator47
Back