⚰ Randy Couture Believes He Was 30 Minutes from Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
UFC Hall of Famer Wrestled with Pain and Got The W

“I knew something wasn’t right,” Couture said, “because I’ve never been a puker. I went home and thought, ‘Ah, I just overdid it.’ (I) laid on the bed for five minutes or so, and this ache would just not go away. I said, ‘Man, something is wrong.'”

Instead of driving to the emergency room or calling an ambulance to take him there, Couture decided he would walk. Upon his arrival, doctors did an ECG. That’s when “all hell broke loose,” according to Couture.

“They’re like, ‘Dude, you’re having a heart attack,” Couture said. “They rushed me right up stairs to the cath lab. (They) went in through my wrist. My thick blood had created a giant clot in my main artery – the ‘widowmaker,’ of course. I had a plaque rupture and the blood goes like it would with any wound to heal that wound. My blood is so thick it created a clot that occluded the whole artery.”

Doctors sucked out the clot and inserted a stent. Couture was put on a blood thinner to stabilize the plaque in the artery. Following his discharge, Couture left the hospital on foot – the same way he came in.

Since the procedure, Couture is feeling much better.

“Jeez, I think I went eight or nine rounds sparring on Friday,” Couture said. “I feel good – a little sore from working out and getting back in the groove. Other than that, I feel great.”

When TMZ reported the news the day after the incident, a storm of calls and messages lit up Couture’s phone. He said the outpouring of support was surprising, even for a UFC Hall of Famer.

“By Thursday morning, it had gone public,” Couture said. “TMZ did a thing on it and all that. My phone just blew up. It was amazing – overwhelming, the outpouring of love. I don’t even know what to say about that. It was pretty unbelievable. I appreciate all my fans and all the people out there that reached out to me.”

The experience of enduring a heart attack has given Couture a newfound perspective on life. He’s thankful for his self-compass in the moment. Usually, he’d try to brush pain off as being nothing. But for some reason that day, Couture figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

“I was lucky I came in when I came in,” Couture said. “If I had waited another 30 or 40 minutes, it would’ve been a different outcome.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2019/11/randy-couture-heart-attack-thankful-ufc-mma

Last edited:
More importantly he lives 3 blocks from hospital ..

Stalker Alert !!

We can narrow down where these chums live and get out memorabilia signed

Thats nuts. I wonder if it was from years of ped use.
Khabib had blood clotting in his liver at ufc 209. Dehydration the main cause of that usually. Ive read about a pro marathoner getting a heart attack after a race in which he didnt re hydrate properly afterwards.

Last edited:
My mom's boss had the same heart attack recently. He flatlined for almost an hour, now has permanent brain damage. Randy is pretty lucky.

Khabib had blood clotting at ufc 209. Dehydration the main cause of that usually. Ive read about a pro marathoner getting a heart attack after a race in which he didnt re hydrate properly afterwards.
Just another reason to ban weight cutting and use hydration tests.
It's already gone too far.

Thick Blood types is called heart attack blood. Kevin Nash has it too. Baby aspirin per day and a light statin would help clear those arteries. Also you dont want to get too dehydrated, dehydration can cause a stroke or heart attack. If youre in the gym sweating up a storm, be careful and make sure to replenish fluids. I drop a salt and potassium tablet in my water chug.

My mom's boss had the same heart attack recently. He flatlined for almost an hour, now has permanent brain damage. Randy is pretty lucky.
Did he recover most of his faculties? Like being able to walk and talk? I knew someone who stroked out for like 20 minutes and surprisingly no real lasting effects other than a lazy eye. The Forrest Whitaker we call it.

And just consider, all over the US there are fathers allowing their 8, 9, even 10 year olds to cut weight for elementary-level wrestling season. And it’s routine at Jr High and above.

It’s so fucking outrageous and does not get enough press coverage. It needs to be legally viewed as parental neglect or better yet child abuse.

Did he recover most of his faculties? Like being able to walk and talk? I knew someone who stroked out for like 20 minutes and surprisingly no real lasting effects other than a lazy eye. The Forrest Whitaker we call it.
I believe he can talk but I'm not sure about anything else. Collapsed just as he got to the emergency room or he likely would have died. Guy was only in his early 50s and in great shape too. Excersised every day, clean diet etc. Scary shit.

Khabib had blood clotting in his liver at ufc 209. Dehydration the main cause of that usually. Ive read about a pro marathoner getting a heart attack after a race in which he didnt re hydrate properly afterwards.
I think he said it was was heriditary from his dad. The Widowmaker or whatever.

I get theres many ways to get blood clots but my man was fighting high level mma well in to his 40s.

Respect. Glad this legend is ok and in due time we should all be treated to Randy Jo vid part II.

I wish him no harm. Hope the rest of his years have good life in them, like I do for myself.

Absolutely. When you dehydrate, you lose the electrolytes that regulate your systems

Good thing he didn't decide to nut one off, he could have been 28 mins from death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back