⚰ Expert Predicts Askren Will Be KTFO (Predicted Nunes Win Over Cyborg)

How do you see this fight ending?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Prediction By Alexander K. Lee

Ben Askren vs. Robbie Lawler

Let’s get this out of the way first: Ben Askren would have been a perennial top-10 contender over the last few years if here were on the UFC roster. With that out of the way, Robbie Lawler is a rough debut matchup for him.

Don’t get it twisted, Askren’s elite wrestling will give Lawler plenty of headaches. Lawler has high-level takedown defense, but has been put on his back by the likes of Donald Cerrone and Matt Brown, two fighters who aren’t exactly known for their power doubles. What usually saves Lawler from being smothered is his ability to limit his opponents’ offense on the mat. This was evident in fights against Johny Hendricks and Cerrone, where neither man was able to do much with their takedowns.

Both fighters are coming off of long layoffs, and I think it will take longer for Lawler to find his rhythm on the feet than it will for Askren to locate his grappling game. There are few fighters in the world better than Askren at getting a fight to the mat. He excels at chain wrestling and finding the slightest openings to unbalance and trip his opponents. Regardless of who Lawler has fought before, Askren’s wrestling is on another level and Lawler is going to have to deal with that as soon as the bell rings.

If he can keep his composure as he usually does, it’s going to be harder and harder for Askren to avoid standing with Lawler, and Lawler will obviously have a huge advantage striking. This is a close call that is entirely based on how much faith you have in Lawler’s takedown defense, but I see it holding up long enough for him stay upright and eventually knock out Askren.

Pick: Lawler

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/3/2/18245869/ufc-235-predictions

Sherdoggers are the only experts I need.

Wouldn't be super shocking tbh but Askren does seem to have an iron chin

FYI: That same person picked Ortega over Holloway

<6>so uh, it's not like they're some mystical god who sees the future

TS: Solid look at the fight from a few perspectives but I didn’t read anything on which fighter looked more SHOOK and which one looked better with their shirt off. Please try harder. /s

Thanks TS!

Trusting one guy for being right about one fight, even if the guy is an "expert" (lots of those, conflicting views), reminds me of when Peter Griffin called in "ghost that never lies" as a witness for his defence in court.

Not that convincing
This guy knows he could be wrong just judging by his wording
So why a thread? Want to discuss the fight?
What is your own take on it?

That's a solid analysis. The only question is how Lawler's knees are holding up. If he's anywhere near 100%, Askren is in trouble. I believe Robbie finishes him in round 2.

This seems like one of those fights that would really benefit from being a 5 rounder.

KO and TKO for all intents and purposes are the same damn thing. I have never seen any kind of poll where they are two separate entities. If I have to be that specific I’ll just pass.

WTF?

Askren reminds me of this insufferable guy I know, so I hope Lawler will utterly destroy him.

Yeah I mean I think everyone realizes that this is a very possible scenario

Would be embarrassing after all the talk askren made about not making it to the ufc before he signed

An absolute nightmare matchup for Ben regardless of the outcome.

Robbie is taylor made for Ben. I see why Ben didn't shake his hand. Dana doesn't want to ease Ben into the market

What a take...if Robbie keeps it standing he has a chance.

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back