Crime “Words alone” are no reason to kill, Man gets 10 years for punching woman over N-word

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly I don't get it with the N word. I personally think it should be thought of as either a swear word, for everyone, or an ok word, again for everyone.
Because when blacks call each other naggers all the time, rappers in their songs use n word more frequent than "god" is used in Bible, but then you call someone a nagger and boom! how fucking dare you, we will sue you or break your face.
This is frustrating and illogical.

My apologies you are quite correct.

No prob. It definitely doesn't make his case any better, just perhaps his story more plausible. I tried to find a picture of the victim and, if I did, the defense's narrative is pretty shameful. The woman was broadly built and looked somewhat androgynous, but was hardly some imposing figure to a guy of that size.

Honestly I don't get it with the N word. I personally think it should be thought of as either a swear word, for everyone, or an ok word, again for everyone.
Because when blacks call each other naggers all the time, rappers in their songs use n word more frequent than "god" is used in Bible, but then you call someone a nagger and boom! how fucking dare you, we will sue you or break your face.

No, you don't, and you should just leave it at that.

Just to put a spin on things the guy blew 0.351 so who knows what his assessment of the situation and recollection was. The prosecution explained that the victim had such little English they probably couldn't've even used that word.

I disagree that throwing one punch could 'not conceivably be predicted as killing a person'. It sadly happens all the time and the guy is kind of enormous too.

I agree that the death penalty is an over-the-top suggestion however I don't know if the mitigating circumstances quoted are really an accurate reflection of what happened.

I'd be interested to know if there is a criminal history for the offender. What is the real objective of incarceration and what maximises the benefits to society?

EDIT: Trotsky has correctly pointed out that the victims BAC was 0.351.

But based on your other post, this man should not have been able to throw a punch.

But based on your other post, this man should not have been able to throw a punch.

The edit in red shows my mistake - the victim had the high blood alcohol content, not the offender. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
So what are we debating?

That the sentence is too low, or too high? I don't understand the point of this thread. A man committed an unjustified crime, and is suffering the consequences.

The edit in read shows my mistake - the victim had the high blood alcohol content, not the offender. Hope this helps.

Oh, the victim, lol. Yeh, the perp in the photo did not look too drunk either. But being drunk is no excuse for provoking people.

Wouldn’t be the first time a black guy lied about being called the n-word to instigate problems. Maybe the lady said black in Spanish (which is “negro” of course) which could have referred to anything

Of course it is just as likely that he was looking to punch a random person, as we have seen over and over.

Coleman should have kept his Cool, that wasn’t cool man!

He threw one punch after being called a word meant to dehumanize him. A word that he had undoubtedly heard countless times in his life to dismiss him as subhuman trash.

Tragic all around, but 10 years for throwing one punch that would not conceivably have been predicted as killing a person....that sounds about right.

Society has determined long ago that punching women (and drunks) is trashy. Same with adults initiating physical confrontation in places where liquor is sold. He sure proved her wrong. :eek::D

I agree he surely didn't intend to kill, but lots of people get fucked up or die from one punch and the resulting fall. Depending on who is punching who, it's not that hard to anticipate serious damage. The woman lost her life and you're defending (on racist grounds) the perpetrator of a senseless act of violence. Ten years would be appropriate for turning someone into a vegetable or a paraplegic. It's certainly good enough for death. Probably lots of drug sentences longer than that too. The guy meant to cause harm and did. Play stupid games...

Society has determined long ago that punching women (and drunks) is trashy. Same with adults initiating physical confrontation in places where liquor is sold. He sure proved her wrong. :eek::D

I agree he surely didn't intend to kill, but lots of people get fucked up or die from one punch and the resulting fall. Depending on who is punching who, it's not that hard to anticipate serious damage. The woman lost her life and you're defending (on racist grounds) the perpetrator of a senseless act of violence. Ten years would be appropriate for turning someone into a vegetable or a paraplegic. It's certainly good enough for death. Probably lots of drug sentences longer than that too. The guy meant to cause harm and did. Play stupid games...

Ya, so racist. Let me go reflect on my racist behavior.

Granted it's been online but I've read a lot cases where black men use that word as justification for extreme violence against people who were not engaging them physically. It's not a get out of jail free card and it's not a direct threat by any means.

Imagine if gay dudes started assaulting people over gay slurs; which intentions are just as insidious and carry very similar historical contexts. No one would find that behavior defensible.

As far as I'm concerned ten years is a light sentence for this guy.

If that's your conclusion, then I'd wager you do not have much experience with this topic. Big black guys get called it plenty often, even if marginally less than smaller black men.

Admittedly I dont have much experience.

I am torn on this. Clearly he was out of line. However, she caused the conflict by saying the hateful word. Understandably he flew into a rage.

That said, the punch was uncalled for and he must be punished. At least it sounds like he shows remorse. Thats a first step. Remember, this will likely scar him for life.

I think the sentence is too much. She started the confrontation by committing a hate crime towards him. He clearly overreacted though. I would say maybe a 3 year suspended sentence and probstion would be more fitting.

And though This should never happen, it serves as a lesson that words have consequences. There were no winners in this

I am torn on this. Clearly he was out of line. However, she caused the conflict by saying the hateful word. Understandably he flew into a rage.

That said, the punch was uncalled for and he must be punished. At least it sounds like he shows remorse. Thats a first step. Remember, this will likely scar him for life.

I think the sentence is too much. She started the confrontation by committing a hate crime towards him. He clearly overreacted though. I would say maybe a 3 year suspended sentence and probstion would be more fitting.

And though This should never happen, it serves as a lesson that words have consequences. There were no winners in this

I know there is a lot carried with that word but in the end it is a word. I disagree with the 'she started it by committing a hate crime' as a mitigating factor.

BAC .351 is insane.

BAC .02
Drinkers begin to feel moderate effects.
BAC .04
Most people begin to feel relaxed, mildly euphoric, sociable, and talkative.
BAC .05
Judgment, attention, and control are somewhat impaired. Ability to drive safely begins to be limited. Sensory-motor and finer performance are impaired. People are less able to make rational decisions about their capabilities (for example, about driving.)
BAC .08
This is legal level for intoxication in some states. There is a definite impairment of muscle coordination and driving skills.
BAC .10
This is legally drunk in most states. There is a clear deterioration of reaction time and control.
BAC .12-.15
Vomiting usually occurs, unless this level is reached slowly or a person has developed a tolerance to alcohol. Drinkers are drowsy.
Drinkers display emotional instability, loss of critical judgment, impairment of perception, memory, and comprehension.
Lack of sensor-motor coordination and impaired balance are typical. Decreased sensory responses and increased reaction times develop. The vision is significantly impaired, including limited ability to see detail, peripheral vision, and slower glare recovery.
BAC .15
This blood-alcohol level means the equivalent of 1/2 pint of whiskey is circulating in the blood stream.
BAC .18-.25
Drinkers are disoriented, confused, dizzy, and have exaggerated emotional states. Vision is disturbed, as is perception of color, form, motion, and dimensions.
Drinkers have increased pain threshold and lack of muscular coordination. Drinkers stagger or lose the ability to walk and have slurred speech. Apathy and lethargy are typical.
BAC .25-.30
Drinkers display general inertia, near total loss of motor functions, little response to stimuli, inability to stand or walk, vomiting, and incontinence. Drinkers may lose consciousness or fall into a stupor.
BAC .30-.50
Symptoms are complete unconsciousness, depressed or absent reflexes, subnormal body temperature, incontinence, and impairment of circulation and respiration.

Death may occur at .37% or higher. BACs of .45% and higher are fatal to nearly all individuals.

My mother worked in the field for years. Death does not always occur at the higher numbers you posted. Of course, this is only for a very few individuals. I remember her telling me stories where bums would come in with fatal levels of BAC, the whole staff would be in amazement.

Meanwhile the bum would be in better shape than me after a 12 pack.

PS, fuck that guy. Dudes huge and punched a woman. Even if she did call him that, he should have just called her an ignorant cunt and moved on with his life.

Lol look at that guy. I'm sorry but he doesn't exactly look like a guy that makes great decisions.
Wtf kind of racist comment is that? Its just a normal picture of an African American. Please point out what in that picture points to him "looking like a guy that doesn't make great decisions?"

If this story is true and it played out the way it was detailed then I think its a two-parter in terms of lessons to be learned:

1. Don't allow someone's words to affect you to the point of throwing away your freedom/career. Violence is never the right choice (unless in self defense).

2. Don't go spewing racist slurs/remarks at people and your chances of getting knocked out unconscious and killed dramatically decrease.

Have you ever tried looking this up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back