Opinion “We just don’t expect temps to be below 10 degrees Fahrenheit in Duluth anymore" - Climate Professor

I find it funny the some people who say man is ruining the earth are the very same not worried we are overpopulated and running out of food and places to grow it faster than the planet is warming. The best solution that would help the planet the fastest is for us to stop reproducing like fucking rabbits.
But they're not the same people? I have never met an educated person in ecology that's not worried about overpopulation and overproduction of food. It's all interlaced. Overpopulation leads to overusing land, which leads to topsoil depletion and erosion. A healthy soil is an enormous carbon sink, as are healthy oceans. That's where overfishing and pollution comes in.

It is complicated, and it is hard to make predictions because a situation like this has literally never occured before. You're making a lot of generalizations and it doesn't appear that you have actually read into any of it apart from anti-global warming articles.

Cute, how you extrapolated a legitimate concern about alarmism to be encompassing of all sound scientific reports.

Please ignore all the funding the Maldives has received thanks to several alarmist reports over the years that has enriched an oppressive regime.

My point still stands, I think many alarmist reports should be toned down.
That's just the nature of news. It's almost never not-alarmist.

edit: I really hate this sentence ^ double negation + "almost never"

My weather in Massachusetts has been averaging 30 to 45 degrees this winter with many days topping 60 degrees. I don't like Climate scientist making bold predictions but I also believe we have odd weather patterns that cause wild swings in the weather that is caused by climate change. Meaning weather around the country will vary to extremes.

I'm looking at the 7 day of Duluth it's looking pretty good right now.

https://www.google.com/search?q=del....69i57j0l7.21304j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Anyone remember that Gotti McCarran poster that used to go super hard on the denier blogs then come here and write 1000 word posts railing about climate?

Those were the golden years of online climate change arguing.

But they're not the same people? I have never met an educated person in ecology that's not worried about overpopulation and overproduction of food. It's all interlaced. Overpopulation leads to overusing land, which leads to topsoil depletion and erosion. A healthy soil is an enormous carbon sink, as are healthy oceans. That's where overfishing and pollution comes in.

It is complicated, and it is hard to make predictions because a situation like this has literally never occured before. You're making a lot of generalizations and it doesn't appear that you have actually read into any of it apart from anti-global warming articles.
Actually I don't agree, overpopulation is a massively exaggerated problem. Its over-consumption that is the problem and that's driven mainly by the developed world but also increasingly the emerging middle class of the developing world. As Gandhiji once said
Gandhi said:
God forbid that India should ever take to industrialism after the manner of the West. The economic imperialism of a single tiny island kingdom is today keeping the world in chains. If an entire nation of 300 million took to similar economic exploitation, it would strip the world bare.
And yet unfortunately that's exactly what is happening.

Actually I don't agree, overpopulation is a massively exaggerated problem. Its over-consumption that is the problem and that's driven mainly by the developed world but also increasingly the emerging middle class of the developing world.
Well yeah, overconsumption, overproduction. It's mostly the industry and the agriculture used to sustain the population, and luxury items.

I'm pretty sure that quote was taken out of context as there were days where it was more than 10 below in Deluth just the month before.

Well yeah, overconsumption, overproduction. It's mostly the industry and the agriculture used to sustain the population, and luxury items.
But not all populations consume at the same rate and thus have the same per capita impact on the environment. As shitty as life in Cuba its actually fairly sustainable(low consumption of beef, increasing reliance on organic farming, frequent black outs). The problem is designing an economic system that is sustainable and that people actually want to live under as opposed to Cuba which is sustainable due to necessity and scarcity and where I bet most Cubans would trade in their sustainable lifestyle for something like what Americans have in a heartbeat.

But not all populations consume at the same rate and thus have the same per capita impact on the environment. As shitty as life in Cuba its actually fairly sustainable(low consumption of beef, increasing reliance on organic farming, frequent black outs). The problem is designing an economic system that is sustainable and that people actually want to live under as opposed to Cuba which is sustainable due to necessity and scarcity and where I bet most Cubans would trade in their sustainable lifestyle for something like what Americans have in a heartbeat.
Of course not all populations consume at the same rate, never said that. I'll get back at you when I'm a bit less high? I dunno.

Whats the optimal temperature on earth. Genuinely curious. 4 seasons ? How cold is too cold ? How hot is too hot? What would be the difference and how close to the optimal temperature would we be without humans/fossil fuels .

I spend time in Duluth during the year and I can vouch for it being cold af in the winter months... Didn't read the article but is the point that it won't be below 10 f until next winter? So what... It's March...

The climate is changing, is it changing fast enough that humans can't adapt & continue to thrive is the question.

I wish that they would give researchers & scientists on both sides of the debate the same platforms so we could decide what is the best way to move forward and what is the cause, is it just earth's natural pattern or is it human effects & to what degree?

Actually I don't agree, overpopulation is a massively exaggerated problem. Its over-consumption that is the problem and that's driven mainly by the developed world but also increasingly the emerging middle class of the developing world. As Gandhiji once said

And yet unfortunately that's exactly what is happening.
It looks like the debate around overpopulation almost always steers into the "too many people, not enough food to go around" area and that is just missing the forest for the trees. I don't think there has been a single year in recorded history where population growth outpaced the growth in agricultural output, and that's with the amount of land used going down.

I was gonna repeat what you said in your later posts but they were spot on so there's no need. The problem isn't that there will be too many people in the future and that we won't be able to feed them, it's that the already existing people would destroy the planet in a week if all of them started consuming the same amount of plastic the average American does.

http://www.startribune.com/u-scient...he-nation-s-fastest-warming-states/504398862/

The state’s famous winters are warming 13 times faster than its summers, said Tracy Twine, an associate professor in the University of Minnesota’s Department of Soil, Water and Climate.

“We just don’t expect temperatures to be below 10 degrees Fahrenheit in Duluth anymore,” Twine said.

=================================================================

That gem of a story was just run 14 days ago in the ever so Leftist Star Tribune out of Minnesota.

It's funny to see the front page of their website today.

28705f6f754bf45fcd47d2f6d8b8c937-full.jpg

Next up! Global Warming caused all this cold!

You can't make this shit up.... and here is the current weather outlook.

Diluth-Weather.jpg
I am in the Northern MidWest by the Great Lakes. This year has been unusually warm. It was 54 today, which is not typical. I looked at the Duluth 10 day forecast, and it does look unusually warm.

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/...47f73a5a5c720a2b226fdf5925bf7519305ae38f6c8d3

Here is the average temps for Feb from 2000
http://climateapps.dnr.state.mn.us/doc/journal/dlh2000.htm

And the average temps in 2015
https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/duluth/historic?month=2&year=2015

I wish that they would give researchers & scientists on both sides of the debate the same platforms so we could decide what is the best way to move forward and what is the cause, is it just earth's natural pattern or is it human effects & to what degree?
lol mate that debate has already been had. There aren't much in the way of researchers on the other side.

The trouble is, there are few ways for an economy to deliver a high quality of life on a low footprint, and many more ways to do so at least in the short-med term on a high footprint.

Climate change is real and is fairly easy to see in real life, especially if you're at least somewhat older and know about history.

One of the largest industries in my hometown historically was the ice trade. Ice extracted from the largest lake in town would be shipped as far away as India and China. The lake never froze over this winter. It used to when I was a kid.

When I go to London in recent years, I feel tropical heat and humidity. People there complain about it being too hot to sleep. A/C isn't really a thing over there because until now it just didn't get hot there.

In my hometown, temperatures over 100F (38C) that used to be rare are now regular occurrences. Pretty much everywhere I travel to has a warmer climate than it used to. It's just a reality, regardless of partisan politics or ideology. It is what it is and we're going to have to deal with it, one way or another.

Back