1. Walt Harris' daughter is missing around Auburn, Alabama. Please read this thread for more information.

Opinion “We just don’t expect temps to be below 10 degrees Fahrenheit in Duluth anymore" - Climate Professor

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by Whippy McGee, Jan 30, 2019.

1. MiniCraque

MiniCraque Black Belt

One prediction was wrong, therefore all are.

Great, now I get to ignore scientists because some random publication published a wrong prediction 30 years ago!

HARRISON_3 and no fat chicks like this.
  2. Madmick

Madmick Zugzwang Staff Member Senior Moderator

Where is it?

tonni likes this.
  3. Son of Jamin

Son of Jamin Make MMA Great Again

Cute, how you extrapolated a legitimate concern about alarmism to be encompassing of all sound scientific reports.

Please ignore all the funding the Maldives has received thanks to several alarmist reports over the years that has enriched an oppressive regime.

My point still stands, I think many alarmist reports should be toned down.

trac209 likes this.
  4. JonesBones

JonesBones Excuse my contraflow

The left is using this weather to fear monger on Russia. lol.

Whippy McGee likes this.
  5. Sano

Sano Red Belt

Exactly, we are IN an Ice Age right now but within an interglaciation period. The Earth should be getting cooler with solar irradiance lessening and the types/amount of aerosols in the atmosphere.

tonni and Crazy Diamond like this.
  6. MiniCraque

MiniCraque Black Belt

Sure I did, because that’s all you posted. Don’t give me shit for extrapolating substance out of a post that lacks any.

You’re welcome to actually argue something. If it’s “reports aren’t 100% accurate and people shouldn’t jump off bridges because of any single one” then, well, no shit, Sherlock.

Quipling and Crazy Diamond like this.
  7. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond 2GM/c^2 belt

Sitting in a bunker, here behind my wall.
    This post is so full of inaccuracies I can't even be bothered to point them all out. But that first claim is bullshit, plain and simple.
    https://www.skepticalscience.com/climate-change-global-warming.htm
    "There have long been claims that some unspecificed "they" has "changed the name from 'global warming' to 'climate change'". In reality, the two terms mean different things, have both been used for decades, and the only individual to have specifically advocated changing the name in this fashion is a global warming 'skeptic'."

The rest is just not understanding the topic so maybe someone with more patience can explain where you're going wrong.

no fat chicks likes this.
  8. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond 2GM/c^2 belt

Sitting in a bunker, here behind my wall.
    Sure that doesn't sound like it's completely devoid of context or anything, does it?

9. Whippy McGee

Whippy McGee Meme Master

She's an idiot.

The real danger is if any of our Nation's Mid-West / North East Coast nuclear plants go down for whatever reason. Then people will die. It almost happened in 2013 when we had every back up coal plant on line during that cold spell. Obama closed some key coal plants for environmental reasons and we are on the brink each and every time this happens now.

JonesBones likes this.
  10. JonesBones

Add some to it where it isn't stupid.

11. JonesBones

True. I get my power from nukes. Never really thought about that.

Another thing that happens during this bad weather is poor people without heat light candles or something. Anything to stay warm. And the building burns down and kids die. I see that story at least a few times a year. Sad.

Whippy McGee likes this.
  12. Whippy McGee

Whippy McGee Meme Master

I think the number is about 23% nationally with most of that being Mid-West / East Coast, so it's even higher where it is cold. I work in the industry and got woken up this morning at 4 AM (PT) because one of the biggest nuclear operators in the nation had a data issue and concern. I woke the right guy up to review it and determined they just had a duplication of data issue due to their new, less skilled offshore I.T. support staff unable to recognize the issue. They are cutting costs all over the nuclear industry, because of the low cost of Natural Gas. They want to remain competitive. They actually call it, "The Nuclear Promise".

JonesBones likes this.
  13. grizzard2bid

grizzard2bid Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Why are you going blowhard every time without doing any research? Yes, lighting is hard to study because it happens in an instant in various places, and you can't get any equipment in there cause it'll be fried. Scientists do no fully understand the process that causes lightnings because they cannot even simulate them.

https://phys.org/news/2016-02-scientists-clues-mystery-lightning.html
    https://www.livescience.com/34245-lightning-mystery.html

14. BEER

BEER Resident Feminist Double Yellow Card

I love climate change threads.

Even though the vast VAST majority of climate scientists agree, I can come and read arguments from people on both sides who don't actually understand the science bickering and calling each other mean names.

Quipling likes this.
  15. Voodoo_Child906

Voodoo_Child906 Black Belt

Nothing in Science is absolute but unless new data is presented Scientists can say that CO2 is causing the latest warming trend because:

1) Total Solar Irradiance has been decreasing the past few decades so we know it's not the sun, in fact temp should be decreasing but it isn't.

2) Through satellite data, scientists can see heat being blocked from escaping on the wavelengths associated with CO2

3) Since the 80's the oceans have absorbed 10^23 Joules of heat, that's what 30 billion Hiroshima bombs... show us something else that can account for that kind of energy and AGW can be overturned.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    Sohei and no fat chicks like this.
  16. Ophydian

Ophydian Brown Belt

It should be like denying religion in
    You should pretty much control all global warming threads as I haven’t seen such a one sided beat down mixed in some time

17. hillelslovak87

hillelslovak87 Steel Belt

Scientists don't need to simulate something to know what is happening. That's why we know about things like natural selection and black holes. But by all means, pretend as if the scientific consensus and body of data showing clear patterns in the rates and causes of global warming simply do not exist.

18. HARRISON_3

HARRISON_3 Gold Belt

The polls said Hilary would win, therefore polls now and forever are fake and wrong.

19. Voodoo_Child906

Voodoo_Child906 Black Belt

Definitely agree here, they are doing their cause a disservice with this kind of Rhetoric.

Son of Jamin likes this.
  20. tonni

tonni Silver Belt

Actually, we're a very large part of it.