“This Is America”

So...you got nothing.

You said it. You said they don't give a shit about the past, and it's all about NOW. So, what is it? I'm all ears. Let's hear it.

I just don't believe that you are unaware. I assume you've already reviewed the evidence and come to your own conclusion, no? So then what is the purpose of such a discussion?

I just don't believe that you are unaware. I assume you've already reviewed the evidence and come to your own conclusion, no? So then what is the purpose of such a discussion?

So...nothing, then? Your argument is "Y-y-you just don't know! You've already come to your conclusions, man!"

Awesome. Predictable, but awesome nonetheless. Bravo.

So...nothing, then? Your argument is "Y-y-you just don't know! You've already come to your conclusions, man!"

Awesome. Predictable, but awesome nonetheless. Bravo.

Sigh...

Resumes with "black sounding" names are less likely to be receive a job offer than resumes with "white sounding" names.

Let's start there.

So legitimate question.

I did a family lineage/tree thing in high school. Turns out my family to our knowledge never owned slaves, so what do I personally have to feel guilty/pay for? Not a troll question I'm being serious.

(also to the uninformed it turns out even at the peak of slavery in the US it was still a VERY small percentage of whites who owned slaves)
The Uber left would tell you that you should still feel guilty because you wake up everyday with that milky white skin.

You are privileged because barber shops know how to cut your hair and shit like that. It gets all kinds of Deep. Like... People got mad that this new age of entitlement is not as far-reaching as they may have hoped.

The Uber left would tell you that you should still feel guilty because you wake up everyday with that milky white skin.

You are privileged because barber shops know how to cut your hair and shit like that. It gets all kinds of Deep. Like... People got mad that this new age of entitlement is not as far-reaching as they may have hoped.
But I get one haircut a year due to my depression/anxiety....is that also part of my white privilege?

My father was killed by a drunk driver when I was 8 years old..that also a white privilege benefit?

I think my membership must not be active yet because I haven’t had this easy cake life I supposedly should have had by now. I got shafted wtf

My white mom was super privileged also, having to raise 2 kids alone working 3 jobs.

Sigh...

Resumes with "black sounding" names are less likely to be receive a job offer than resumes with "white sounding" names.

Let's start there.

Really? That's your fucking argument? "Names"? What were the qualifications associated with those "names", or does that not matter?

Also, how were these studies conducted? Did they eliminate the "white sounding" black names, like "Stephen"? Does this alleged prejudice only apply to black people? Are the "Alexei's", "Bjorn's" and "Sven's" getting picked over the "Jamal's", and "Shaniqua's", or are these studies just cherry picking to fit their agenda?

Please, enlighten me on these air tight studies.

Sigh...

Let's start there.
Dig deeper into the resumes and you would find that certain universities pop off the page more than your corner Community College...

That a single guy would be great for the job as opposed to a married woman, regardless of the color of their skin...

Sometimes that job just isn't the job for you. Sometimes you wouldn't even want to see yourself working for a company that would base their recruitment off of petty criteria in the first place.

And sometimes life just isn't fair.

That example is not oppression. It's life. some black people have really black sounding names, some do not. I know that it's just one of several hundred examples that could be brought up, but no one has ever been guaranteed some kind of Utopia where life is fair. I know that the most Ardent liberals in America dream of this Utopia, so I don't want to go so far as to crush the idea of it, I'm just letting you know that the absence of Utopia does not mean that we find ourselves all under oppression.

There is a part of me that wishes that well growing up that all of us had to spend at least one year or maybe two, maybe even longer than that, in the wilderness. Surviving. Eating from the land, drinking from the land, not certain of tomorrow, not certain of anything. As likely to be eaten as you are to eat... the real world, where words like Fair or not even apart of the imagination.

(and don't take that last part as made completely dismissing any kind of actual oppression that does go on, be it racial or not. I'm just saying, God damn... this could all go away tomorrow. You can try to squash dog eat dog but dog will eat dog if the refrigerator is ever go out. Dog will eat dog.)

Goodnight

But I get one haircut a year due to my depression/anxiety....is that also part of my white privilege?

My father was killed by a drunk driver when I was 8 years old..that also a white privilege benefit?

I think my membership must not be active yet because I haven’t had this easy cake life I supposedly should have had by now. I got shafted wtf

My white mom was super privileged also, having to raise 2 kids alone working 3 jobs.
it sounds like you were probably too busy grinding to get food to worry about your white privilege.

And make no mistake about it, these kind of ideas never come out of someone who has been or who will be hungry. hungry people already know that life isn't fair, they're not foolish enough just start looking for where they can find or not find "privilege".

I'm becoming too tired to make much sense. Good night

Really? That's your fucking argument? "Names"? What were the qualifications associated with those "names", or does that not matter?

Also, how were these studies conducted? Did they eliminate the "white sounding" black names, like "Stephen"? Does this alleged prejudice only apply to black people? Are the "Alexei's", "Bjorn's" and "Sven's" getting picked over the "Jamal's", and "Shaniqua's", or are these studies just cherry picking to fit their agenda?

Please, enlighten me on these air tight studies.

Lol. See, this is my point. Why are we having this discussion? There's no possible evidence I can bring to the table. If I use anecdote, you'll say it's too subjective. If I use objective research, you'll say its not credible (which is fair, some research is poor). So if personal experiences aren't valid and any objective data that conflicts with what you already believe isn't valid, then what kind of evidence do you want me to provide that you will accept?

http://www.nber.org/papers/w9873

The fact that you're unaware of this rather well-known experiment but are also somehow already convinced that the experiment was riddled with flaws shows a pretty heavy bias on your part. Even if there's nothing I can say to convince you, can you at least admit that you probably have a bias against any information that could change your mind?

Sigh...

Let's start there.

What are black sounding names? Until the early 90s black people had normal names. It's only very recently that they started calling their kids 'Sharkeesha' and white people with hippie parents who gave them retarded names like 'Moonchild' don't do well in the job search either.

It's a product of a culture of ignorance, not racism. It's ignorant to give your kid a retarded name. It's not racist of other people to not want to hire them.

Dig deeper into the resumes and you would find that certain universities pop off the page more than your corner Community College...

That a single guy would be great for the job as opposed to a married woman, regardless of the color of their skin...

Sometimes that job just isn't the job for you. Sometimes you wouldn't even want to see yourself working for a company that would base their recruitment off of petty criteria in the first place.

And sometimes life just isn't fair.

It was an experiment. The resumes were identical except for the names.

That example is not oppression. It's life. some black people have really black sounding names, some do not. I know that it's just one of several hundred examples that could be brought up, but no one has ever been guaranteed some kind of Utopia where life is fair. I know that the most Ardent liberals in America dream of this Utopia, so I don't want to go so far as to crush the idea of it, I'm just letting you know that the absence of Utopia does not mean that we find ourselves all under oppression.

Lol. How can you say "It's life" when it's not life for you? Again, you're engaging in ideological warfare in the comment section of Vice articles because you worry that the opinion of some random people on the internet is spreading more freely than you'd like, but the fact that employers are discriminating against people with your name is just life? Someone posting on an internet article needs to be combated because we can't just let those views go unchecked. Someone refusing to hire you--and thereby feed your family, live a healthy social life, secure your future, etc--is the sort of offense that can be easily overlooked?

Do you not see our criminal justice system as racist or do you think black people are just naturally more likely to do crimes and/or it's a coincidence they get punished more harshly? Also black people fought and died in multiple wars before even having the right to vote, and a lot of those veterans are still alive today. Do you think the racism they dealt with didn't affect them and their families?

Sorry are you saying black Americans commit staggeringly higher rates of violent crime than other racial groups in America per capita because of racism? Most of them are killing other black people...

Sorry are you saying black Americans commit staggeringly higher rates of violent crime than other racial groups in America per capita because of racism? Most of them are killing other black people...

Racism in the past and today that results in poverty that in term results in crime although I'd argue that above any of these various "ism's" its wealth inequality that's the elephant in the room, one that a lot of establishment liberials won't touch because its potentially much more damaging to their paymasters.

Even if there's nothing I can say to convince you, can you at least admit that you probably have a bias against any information that could change your mind?

No. You're just going to have to do better than "Black sounding names", being passed over for "White sounding names", because it's an absolutely ridiculous base to start from.

Racism in the past and today that results in poverty that in term results in crime although I'd argue that above any of these various "ism's" its wealth inequality that's the elephant in the room, one that a lot of establishment liberials won't touch because its potentially much more damaging to their paymasters.

No one makes you murder someone. There's no excuse for it.

No one makes you murder someone. There's no excuse for it.

That's not an excuse its a reason and its the person who's potentially being killed(as you pointed out more likely to be black as well) who would obviously have the reason to be aggrieved about the role poverty played it it.

That's not an excuse its a reason and its the person who's potentially being killed(as you pointed out more likely to be black as well) who would obviously have the reason to be aggrieved about the role poverty played it it.

Killing each other in record numbers over dumb shit is nothing to do with poverty, other poor people don't slaughter each other. It's a problem specific to the black community.

Not in the way you mean.

I haven't seen that. I've seen people argue against it's "deep" message for simply having a dancing black man, set to the image of savagery. I don't think the people who claim to like the video, even know why they do. They like it, because it "seems" deep. The imagery contrasts the lyrics and title, so it's..."brilliant"?

It's simplistic. Now, one could think it's brilliant in it's simplicity, but I'm not buying it. At least not as how the people who love it are interpreting it. To me it's just basic bitch simplicity, that plays to the masses who want to believe they're informed. In that way(a marketing sense), it might actually be brilliant. The message being so simple, that any moron can recognize it, and feel smart because they recognize it.

I gotta be honest bro, the outlook you have on other people isn't accurate and feels stunted as fuck. You make so many generalizations on a consistent basis, you need to travel more or something.

Dude obviously people know why they like it, it's probably the most dissected and talked about piece of art in a minute. As I said before, Donald Glover has been a surrealist artist in several facets and his attention to detail is great. He clearly put a ton of work into every tiny little aspect of it. Atlanta is "Twin Peaks With Rappers"

Here's a good article from a Parkland student with some valid criticism of it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...america/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.96e01e3f451c

Donald Glover, also known as Childish Gambino, shook the Internet with his music video titled “This is America.” It is a telling piece of art that inspects the contrast between culture and violence, and between the past and the present. How far have we come from the evils of our ancestors? Although Gambino has allowed the world to take from this piece whatever it pleases, he is clearly criticizing our glorification of the latest “fads” and dance crazes while injustice is happening all around us, almost as if we cannot be multidimensional beings and recognize both.

Killing each other in record numbers over dumb shit is nothing to do with poverty, other poor people don't slaughter each other. It's a problem specific to the black community.

Yes they absolutely do, crime rates and poverty are very clearly linked.

Back