“The UFC are Looking for Talkers Instead of Good Performers” – Joseph Duffy

UFC just fails to comprehend how to sell anything that isn't blond, blue-eyed, shit-talking, over-confident company men/women.

Diaz boys, Aldo, Mighty Mouse, Duffy, Belal, Barbarena, Miocic etc... all have highly-marketable personalities that the UFC just can't seem to wrap their heads around. And I assume that's because if it's not cookie-cutter they aren't willing to create a strategy for success. Sure, it can be difficult to handle certain personas, but if you strat it properly you can make their personalities shine.

All this talk about UFC only caring about talking and drama, but we're a week away from a huge card full of top fighters with little to no trash talk or drama going into the card. There might be some at the press conference the week of the fight, but for the most part UFC 211 is being sold on the merit of the fights alone.

And it will do less than 250k buys.

Ironically his biggest mistake has been to spend the past year talking about contract negotiations instead of just getting on with the job of fighting. He would probably have picked up a couple more wins by now and be in contention as well as being on a high level contract.

He's proven he can fight, but what about the words business & entertainment don't people understand?

Of course it's not enough to just be a good fighter today.
The UFC didn't make those enforceable rules.
It is what people who pay for the product want, and if people aren't paying for the product, there are no fights for anyone to enjoy.

talk gets people more excited than no talk

doesn't matter if both guys suck or are good

All this talk about UFC only caring about talking and drama, but we're a week away from a huge card full of top fighters with little to no trash talk or drama going into the card. There might be some at the press conference the week of the fight, but for the most part UFC 211 is being sold on the merit of the fights alone.

And it's not going to sell well.

He's proven he can fight, but what about the words business & entertainment don't people understand?

Of course it's not enough to just be a good fighter today.
The UFC didn't make those enforceable rules.
It is what people who pay for the product want, and if people aren't paying for the product, there are no fights for anyone to enjoy.

Seems easy enough to understand yet some don't
How many times have we seen SD in a majority say "nobody wants to see that fight" & then the fight does a high buy or big rating lol

UFC just fails to comprehend how to sell anything that isn't blond, blue-eyed, shit-talking, over-confident company men/women.

Diaz boys, Aldo, Mighty Mouse, Duffy, Belal, Barbarena, Miocic etc... all have highly-marketable personalities that the UFC just can't seem to wrap their heads around. And I assume that's because if it's not cookie-cutter they aren't willing to create a strategy for success. Sure, it can be difficult to handle certain personas, but if you strat it properly you can make their personalities shine.

This is the dumbest shit ever
Fans make fighters popular not the Ufc. Gsp was a boring, pount fighter from Canada and people fucking loved him.

Conor had a huge buzz around him before even entering the Ufc.

Shit Rashad vs Rampage is still one of the Ufcs best selling ppvs. Which one is blonde and blue eyed?

Btw lol at Belal Muhammad or Bryan Barbarena being stars

Seems easy enough to understand yet some don't
How many times have we seen SD in a majority say "nobody wants to see that fight" & then the fight does a high buy or big rating lol

Nate vs Conor 2. Omg no one wants to see this shit, best selling mma ppv ever

Hes right.

WME are looking for the drama aspect.

In the short term it will probably get them good views, but in the long term it could further alienate the hardcore fans and make the UFC even more illegitimate. Pushing fighters for their looks/drama makes them look like a joke imo.
LMFAO. MMA has always been about drama/looks/personality. There are zero historical draws who di not have one of those qualities.

in no uncertain terms, it must suck to find out that being good at what you think/thought you job was turns out to be less important than the sideshow bullshit. and if you aren't good at or don't enjoy the bullshit, it's lame.

i don't envy him this position he's in.

Literally all of this would be moot if he beat Porier.

Nate vs Conor 2. Omg no one wants to see this shit, best selling mma ppv ever

I mean we just saw Conor get murked. His aura is gone - 1.6m buys
Nobody will ever pay to see RR again after that loss to HH - 1.1m buys

One thing SD hardcores certainly do not have & that is a pulse of what makes money in MMA

The UFC are Looking for Talkers Instead of Good Performers” – Joseph Duffy
giphy.gif

"Ghee, we are so happy you stuck to your guns instead of providing us with stability and financial freedom! You're a real class act!!!"
-Joe's children/grandchildren, probably

in no uncertain terms, it must suck to find out that being good at what you think/thought you job was turns out to be less important than the sideshow bullshit. and if you aren't good at or don't enjoy the bullshit, it's lame.

i don't envy him this position he's in.

Well, why dedicate your life to something if you are not doing it for the love of it? If the goal is money........... you have to play the game the right way.

If he wants to get paid he has to understand that prize fighting isn't a sport. It is all about putting asses in seats and getting the consumer to separate himself from his hard earned money.

This isn't a team sport. This sport is all about stars and who can "move the needle." If he doesn't want to try to get exposure and build his brand then he should retire.

what_the_fuck_am_I_reading.png

Diaz bros : They have the attitude and they have their following for years but they're mumble mouth ramblers. They can be compelling in their own way and it's worked for them. Despite the amount of losses Nick has wracked up he still gets considered as a draw.
Aldo : Stoic brazilian. Makes disinterested faces when being interviewed and answering questions. It took Mcgregor going hard at him to draw something out.
Mighty Mouse : Midget wrestling is compelling. I really care about him and his division.
etc etc.
I like Miocic and he seems a good guy with solid skills. Can he be compelling the way say Randy Couture was? The sport is different now, the culture seems different from my point of view. The fighters and the audience aren't majority american anymore and this definitely has an affect on the way it is developed.

Back