“The UFC are Looking for Talkers Instead of Good Performers” – Joseph Duffy

Rebel_LioN

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
“SINCE I STARTED WORKING WITH THE UFC, I’VE MET SOME AMAZING PEOPLE AND WHEN YOU TURN UP A SHOW AND MEET UP WITH ALL THE STAFF – IN EUROPE OR THE STATES – IT’S ALWAYS A PLEASURE,” HE SAID. “I’VE ENJOYED BEING A UFC FIGHTER AND I’M LEAVING ALL DOORS OPEN. IF WE CAN COME TO A DEAL, I’D GLADLY STAY WITH THEM.

“BUT THEY SEEM TO BE LOOKING FOR PEOPLE WHO ARE TALKERS INSTEAD OF GUYS WHO CAN PUT ON GOOD PERFORMANCES. WITH THE SOCIAL MEDIA AND ALL THE STUFF, IT JUST SEEMS TO BE BECOMING MORE IMPORTANT THAN THE FIGHTING ITSELF. THAT’S NOT WHO I AM. I’M NOT GOING TO SELL OUT WHO I AM JUST TO MAKE A QUICK BUCK. DOWN THE LINE, I WANT TO BE ABLE TO SHOW MY KIDS AND GRANDCHILDREN THE FIGHTS, AND THAT I STUCK TO MY GUNS AND WAS WHO I WAS AND DID IT MY OWN WAY.”

I'm sure he knows and understands from a business stand point that the UFC needs controversy to sell but it puts a lot of guys in a tough spot who aren't looking to break integrity to make the money. At the same time they won't be able to get fights to move them up the rankings. Definitely a conflict between promotion and fighter but it is what it is.

I'm sure he knows and understands from a business stand point that the UFC needs controversy to sell but it puts a lot of guys in a tough spot who aren't looking to break integrity to make the money. At the same time they won't be able to get fights to move them up the rankings. Definitely a conflict between promotion and fighter but it is what it is.

IMG_1171.JPG

All this talk about UFC only caring about talking and drama, but we're a week away from a huge card full of top fighters with little to no trash talk or drama going into the card. There might be some at the press conference the week of the fight, but for the most part UFC 211 is being sold on the merit of the fights alone.

Hes right.

WME are looking for the drama aspect.

In the short term it will probably get them good views, but in the long term it could further alienate the hardcore fans and make the UFC even more illegitimate. Pushing fighters for their looks/drama makes them look like a joke imo.

Last edited:
All this talk about UFC only caring about talking and drama, but we're a week away from a huge card full of top fighters with little to no trash talk or drama going into the card. There might be some at the press conference the week of the fight, but for the most part UFC 211 is being sold on the merit of the fights alone.

Its always a balancing act between sport and entertainment. Whats weird is far more Ufc matchups are rankings based than entertainment based but people love controversy.

The thing is wheres he going to go where this isnt true? Shit Bellators first ppv in quite a while is headlined by two unranked fighters, neither of whom has won a fight on years. While theres legit top 5 championship fights on the prelims

Just suck it up and say some shit joe. This isn't the watching paint dry championships.

Maybe he should mention how he finished the lightweight champion in every interview he's in, maybe that'll get him more attention

if you can talk AND perform you will surely get the bone but its not like talking is a necessity, guys like Silva,GSP and he list goes on and on did just fine without trash talking

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

Wow!

if you can talk AND perform you will surely get the bone but its not like talking is a necessity, guys like Silva,GSP and he list goes on and on did just fine without trash talking
Not necessarily talking trash every time but talk more and be yourself with the volume turned up so fans know who you are and can root for you.

Hes right.

WME are looking for the drama aspect.

In the short term it will probably get them good views, but in the long term it could further alienate the hardcore fans and make the UFC even more illegitimate. Pushing fighters for their looks/drama makes them look like a joke imo.

lmao, WME is looking for profit and nothing else. This is "prize fighting" and combat sports have been like this forever.

I can't believe these athletes haven't figured it out.

UFC are looking for DRAWS
Anderson & GSP were not trash talkers but they drew
A fighter knowing how to promote his brand on social media is not something unique
These fighters need to start looking at their own brand

Well too bad Joseph isn't a good talker or a good performer.

Also, doesn't matter how well you can talk if you can't back it up. I guess the UFC is looking for both talkers AND performers. Both of which Joe lacks.

Last edited:
Maybe he should mention how he finished the lightweight champion in every interview he's in, maybe that'll get him more attention

For sure he should.
Duffy far more talented than Connor

Actually, the paying customer base is looking for that. Fighters work under the UFC brand but ultimately the ppv buyers are what dictates the parameters of popularity and viability.

So, learn to promote or just shut up and try to squeak out living simply by fighting

in no uncertain terms, it must suck to find out that being good at what you think/thought you job was turns out to be less important than the sideshow bullshit. and if you aren't good at or don't enjoy the bullshit, it's lame.

i don't envy him this position he's in.

Well too bad Joseph isn't a good talker or a good performer.

Also, doesn't matter how well you can talk if you can't back it up. I guess the UFC is looking for both talkers AND performers. Both of which Joe lacks.
he isn't a good performer?

here's a shit post, guys

For sure he should.
Duffy far more talented than Connor

Hes not far more talented but anyway yes he should talking about this constantly.

A fight with Conor will earn him more than the rest of his entire career, combined

Yeah, they have cards with little drama, but put McGregor on a card and they'll cream while editing the promo vids.

Back