“the eye test” is the dumbest thing ppl bring up in boxing discussions

A lot of the times someone says ' he passes the eye test" then they follow the phrase with a 'but'...

Thank you. So Wilder fails the eye test before the knockout?

Yes, pre-knockout Wilder gets a fail on the eye test. But reassessment is required post knockout.

Boxing aint no beauty contest.

Yes, pre-knockout Wilder gets a fail on the eye test. But reassessment is required post knockout.

Boxing aint no beauty contest.

Doesn't Roy Jones Jr fail it all the time since he basically does everything wrong - guard, punching, stance...? He punches more like a Karateka than a boxer

Doesn't Roy Jones Jr fail it all the time since he basically does everything wrong - guard, punching, stance...? He punches more like a Karateka than a boxer

I guess it is all in the eye of the beholder.

Roy was certainly someone you didn't want to model yourself on. Not unless you were superhuman like he was, anyway.

Roy was certainly someone you didn't want to model yourself on. Not unless you were superhuman like he was, anyway.

Exactly. It's amazing that none of the commentator pointed this out. He did everything wrong and basically taunted the sport by making it work

No, he passed with flying colors from early on.

Correct, as did for a time, Prince Hamed.
This is true. That little fucker. I watched his whole career with a buddy/roommate of mine at the time and we were always rooting against him as the heel with his entrances and shit but having a good time and then he'd throw what looked like some schoolyard haymakers and tune his man up and stop him. And we would boo and laugh and have a grand old time. lol
"He got us again!!!"

His mechanics are awful it if weren't for his speed.
I beg to differ. Speed, KO power and pinpoint accuracy slicing up opponent after opponent while using unorthodox angles and such was masterful to me. As you said, he made it work and made it work over multiple weight classes and carried it all with him up each level. He had a pretty good prime run.
There are always those anomalies who use a bit of their own technique in sport. Pitchers and hitters in baseball that do something maybe fundamentally not 100% correct, but if they get 20 wins or 55 homers, you're unlikely to critique them.

I beg to differ. Speed, KO power and pinpoint accuracy slicing up opponent after opponent while using unorthodox angles and such was masterful to me. As you said, he made it work and made it work over multiple weight classes and carried it all with him up each level. He had a pretty good prime run.

Still, Roy would have punched much harder with more sound fundamentals, and he was a solid puncher already. He would have also aged better in the sport

Still, Roy would have punched much harder with more sound fundamentals, and he was a solid puncher already. He would have also aged better in the sport
Yeah, but...
giphy.gif

18g35x.gif

Roy_Jones_Jr_vs_Reggie_Johnson.gif

K6MRFK.gif

For a while, I thought he was aging well, like Floyd. Avoiding punishment. When he went up in weight and got a little longer in the tooth that became his issue. Taking damage. But he had a hell of a run, even with the most strict interpretation of the eye test, IMO.

For a while, I thought he was aging well, like Floyd. Avoiding punishment. When he went up in weight and got a little longer in the tooth that became his issue. Taking damage. But he had a hell of a run, even with the most strict interpretation of the eye test, IMO.

Wasn't he a noticeably slower puncher already against Tarver? It might seem like a natural route but fast twitch muscle fiber usually don't degrade that fast.

This is true. That little fucker. I watched his whole career with a buddy/roommate of mine at the time and we were always rooting against him as the heel with his entrances and shit but having a good time and then he'd throw what looked like some schoolyard haymakers and tune his man up and stop him. And we would boo and laugh and have a grand old time. lol
"He got us again!!!"
I didn't get the same kind of pleasure out of watching Hamed break all the fundamental rules as I did Roy. I think it was his absolute arrogance that put me off. But credit to him for the success he had doing something that would get nearly anyone else KOed in very quick time. Hamed's fight with Kevin Kelley is highly entertaining.

Wasn't he a noticeably slower puncher already against Tarver? It might seem like a natural route but fast twitch muscle fiber usually don't degrade that fast.
I think once he went up for Ruiz he was never quite the same when he came back down, myself.
<Fedor23>

roy wasn't textbook, nowhere near watching a guy like sugar ray robinson or ray leonard, feet splayed, a guard he based off of watching his chickens fight or something. He was still quite a sight to see, as far as combination punching, he's up there with the best of them and maybe even surpassing everyone, some of the 30 punch vollies he would throw were gorgeous. His technique is a minor gripe, anyone after Ali who used standard technique was almost in the minority. His issue was once his chin was found out, it was over. Imagine if he had a chin like Duran or Ali, he'd have fought until fifty and won a lot of those fights. 35 is an old age to find out you don't have something so necessary in the sport as a decent chin, it was bound to be all downhill from there. And let's not forget, it was the loss of his legs that made his chin findable.

Back