“the eye test” is the dumbest thing ppl bring up in boxing discussions

Wilder comes to mind as a guy who would fail everyone’s eye test, Canelo failed my eye test early on around 2013 especially against Mosley and look at him now.

we could immediately tell lomachenko would be special. inoue also looked like the monster he is from the beginning. errol spence looked like he'd be a champion even when he was knocking out nobodies.

shakur stevenson, ryan garcia, teofimo lopez all look like they'll be killers and they haven't fought anyone worth a damn. lopez knocked out commey, but had no quality opposition before that and we could all tell he isn't some scrub.

the eye test is real.

People with advanced foresight can easily predict outcomes far better when matching guys it comes second nature there is no struggle to determine an outcome only in rare cases . This rules out most boxing fans ,this rules out most sports in general that’s why bookies make the money and the bettors lose otherwise their wouldn’t be gambling around .

Smart bettors are able to put two and two together on eye tests and predict all possible variables more accurately then Joe Shmoe who doesn’t actually study fights and picks whatever way the wind blows or because his favorite fighter is fighting so there’s no real credibility follow these types it’s the guys who can use their eyesight with no distractions of hearsay and popular opinions to interfere with getting it right .

If you are not using your own eyes to figure out a winner or a gage of ones abilities ,what are you using ? <WhatIsThis>

Last edited:
The eye test is kind of relevant, as long as you don't have much of a professional record against quality opposition to appraise a fighter's worth. It has its flaws, obviously, but you cannot base your whole assessment on BoxRec alone. Don't forget your own biases when you do the eye scan : a style that pleases you isn't a sign of greatness per se.

What is very questionable is to rank a retired boxer higher than we should in History because he looked good in the ring. When it's all cut and dry, it's about achievements, not ifs and woulds.

Last edited:
we could immediately tell lomachenko would be special. inoue also looked like the monster he is from the beginning. errol spence looked like he'd be a champion even when he was knocking out nobodies.

shakur stevenson, ryan garcia, teofimo lopez all look like they'll be killers and they haven't fought anyone worth a damn. lopez knocked out commey, but had no quality opposition before that and we could all tell he isn't some scrub.

the eye test is real.
Inoue had 48 kos out of 75 amateur wins, must be some sort of record?

the eye test is real.
Only if you know what your looking at.

my eye tests are pretty accurate usually, not always but usually, even when i contradict the favorites and expected winners. Seeing thurman, margarito and cotto just for brief moments, either just hitting the bag in a lackadaisical manner or disjointedly dancing around the ring, i knew none of them would have a shot with Pac, same with Canelo/mayweather, saw canelo moving around in the gym and knew he had no shot and couldn't believe how people could buy that fight. Same with klitschko Fury. The only guy i was wrong about in the near past was Eubank's boy, I loved the drive i saw and thought that would be enough for him to beat anyone, i was wrong. but usually, i'm right and i don't need to see a lot to be right, i've been watching this shit for too long.

Only if you're solely rating someone on the eye test. That's what talent scouts have been trained to spot early on in a fighter's prospective career.

Yeah there's certainly value to it. But how often do prospects not pan out? It's pretty common. Which is why I think it's useful for determining people you believe might be good. But it's not a tool for determining who is good.

my eye tests are pretty accurate usually, not always but usually, even when i contradict the favorites and expected winners. Seeing thurman, margarito and cotto just for brief moments, either just hitting the bag in a lackadaisical manner or disjointedly dancing around the ring, i knew none of them would have a shot with Pac, same with Canelo/mayweather, saw canelo moving around in the gym and knew he had no shot and couldn't believe how people could buy that fight. Same with klitschko Fury. The only guy i was wrong about in the near past was Eubank's boy, I loved the drive i saw and thought that would be enough for him to beat anyone, i was wrong. but usually, i'm right and i don't need to see a lot to be right, i've been watching this shit for too long.

With regards to Eubank Jr, that's something the eye test can't really show you, is their general disposition. BJ Penn is a good example. The dude looked amazing... when he actually showed up mentally for the fight. But "motivated BJ Penn" is a meme for a reason.

No. “Eye tests” are quite relevant. But should not be the only metric to judge a fighter, obviously.

Thank you. So Wilder fails the eye test before the knockout?

Yeah Wilder scores negative on the eye test. But he got an A+ at knocking-your-damn-head-off-your-shoulders. So you know, he made it work.*

He made it work a lot better than people were expecting him to 8-9 years ago. People have been calling him a can and saying he was going to lose forever. But he just kept on winning until this year.

Same thing happened to Canelo and why I think a lot of people refuse to give him credit now. They wrote him off early because he didn't pass their eye-test (and GB was pumping him up BIG before he had actually accomplished anything), dug their heels in talking shit and now they just can't let it go.

Yeah Wilder scores negative on the eye test. But he got an A+ at knocking-your-damn-head-off-your-shoulders. So you know, he made it work.*

He made it work a lot better than people were expecting him to 8-9 years ago. People have been calling him a can and saying he was going to lose forever. But he just kept on winning until this year.

Same thing happened to Canelo and why I think a lot of people refuse to give him credit now. They wrote him off early because he didn't pass their eye-test (and GB was pumping him up BIG before he had actually accomplished anything), dug their heels in talking shit and now they just can't let it go.

News to me. Canelo failed the eye test because why? Didn't sit down on his punches enough?

With regards to Eubank Jr, that's something the eye test can't really show you, is their general disposition. BJ Penn is a good example. The dude looked amazing... when he actually showed up mentally for the fight. But "motivated BJ Penn" is a meme for a reason.
of course, sometimes with what's out there though, it's easy to jump to conclusions, I still think a fighter like eubank can dominate in the many of the divisions we see today, there just isn't that much. However, intagibles don't show until the shit hits the fan, even there though, some fighters come across as being the real deal just by the look in their eyes at least to me. Intuition is a real thing, of course it's not 100 percent and nobody is god but I think believe it when people say so and so gave me the creeps or so and so did this, but no, not 100 percent, people, all of us are too flawed for that.

Back