“thank god that this fan base in MMA is so f—king stupid that they actually have made this possible”

The glove situation really threw a monkey wrench into this whole thing. Assuming the promotion will not venture out too far from what they’ve displayed to us thus far, Artem has a decent chance dude.

Paulie has only finished 4 of his opponents inside of 5 rounds in 44 fights, the most recent - 2002. He’s not a power puncher by any means. He’s a tactician who relies on the long-game, utilizing the jab and body shots. This fight will likely be 5x2min. What good will has long-game tactics serve him in this fight? Then consider some of the other variables like the variation in the gloves, his fragile hands, his emotional investment, his reputation on the line as it would be a disaster for him if he loses, his age - 38, his absence from competition - 4 years, etc etc.

Artem is no world beater but in a BK match you can never count out a guy with the kind of heart/chin/grit that Artem has displayed only a few months ago. Also, Artem has everything to gain from this and little to lose while Paulie on the other hand...

BK does not equal boxing. Artem is a live dog... depending on the glove situation of course.
While I will concede that anything could happen when two men start swinging fists at each other’s faces, it still comes down to a boxing match between a shitty mma boxer, and a decent pro boxer.

It’s one thing to say he’s got a chance, but when you pick him to win you basically ignore logic and hope for a Hail Mary.

While I will concede that anything could happen when two men start swinging fists at each other’s faces, it still comes down to a boxing match between a shitty mma boxer, and a decent pro boxer.

It’s one thing to say he’s got a chance, but when you pick him to win you basically ignore logic and hope for a Hail Mary.

When I picked him as a slight favorite -
...I give Artem a 60/40 edge.
- I wasn’t aware about the gloves.

Now that I’ve seen that these are the “gloves” - according to Forbes...
998F9657-355F-4E78-9ABD-D28108B8F8D4.jpeg
I’m taking a step back on the favorite talk. I’m at 50/50 now.

If the “gloves” end up being any more than that picture, Paulie becomes my favorite.

The fact that they’re using any kind of “gloves” is bullsh** btw. They just had an event and there were no “gloves” ... kind of makes you wonder why?

As much as many don't want to admit it.....He's right.

We are living in the dumbest period in MMA history and there is no question about it.

Because it is boxing. Wrestling is wrestling, judo is judo and bjj is bjj. The latter three would take pure boxer out in majority of cases and yet they are not going around calling themselves fighters.

I thought this shit got covered in the 90's when mma started to pick up. If you want a reminder watch UFC 1.
It's still fighting. If you see two guys hitting eachother in the face on the streets without anyone attempting a takedown, what would you say they were doing?

It's literally in the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

fight
verb
\ ˈfīt \
fought\ ˈfȯt \; fighting
Definition of fight
(Entry 1 of 2)

intransitive verb

1a: to contend in battle or physical combat especially : to strive to overcome a person by blows or weapons. The soldiers fought bravely.
b: to engage in boxing. He will fight for the heavyweight title next month.
2: to put forth a determined effort. They were fighting to stay awake.

From Mike Chiappetta of MmaFighting:

https://www.mmafighting.com/2019/6/...aggi-is-coming-for-blood-money-and-an-apology

Some quotes:

“There’s no way realistically possible to have a fight this easy against a bum of this level unless there is a fan base this stupid.”

“As an adult, you shrug that stuff off,” he said, “but I have nieces and nephews less than 10 years old that are exposed to this, and this is one of the things he has to pay for.”

“I expect an apology and an admittance of the lies,” he said. “If I get that, there can be respect, no problem. We’re both men, and we should be up front as men. I’ve been nothing but up front. I think if there was mutual respect, he would admit all they did was lie and were hyping things. Then we could have respect and be cool about it. But if he keeps lying about it, I might beat his ass again after I’m done.”

What are you talking about?

Paulie obviously is going to land plenty of punches, as he will be at a huge technical advantage. However as we have seen in the sport of boxing that does not always win. You can be overwhelmed by somebody with inferior technique. Artem Can take a lot of damage. Is Paulie going to be able to handle not being able to finish this thing quickly?

He fought a good few rounds vs Cotto with a broken jaw. No idea what he has left at this stage, but he’s a tough, tough bastard, despite his appearance. I cant see him panicking if he doesn’t blow Artem away. He is after all, a more experienced fighter by quite a distance.

I’m actually more excited about this than Floyd vs Conor, which was a foregone conclusion/glorified sparring match. There’s some genuine bad blood here, the ruleset, weight advantage and activity advantage thrown in at least enough variables to make it interesting on paper.

Malignaggi is absolutely bang on about a high percentage of MMA fans being retards. You only have to look back at the build up to Floyd vs Conor fight on here for proof. Literally thousands of posts devoted to analysis on Conor’s advantages in power, strength, youth, unorthodoxy, MMA angles etc. People threw logic out of the window and were convinced that McGregor was anything other than a sitting duck.

Nobody that’s stepped into the ring or even engaged in hard sparring would be of the mindset that boxing isn’t a fight.

It’s actually the martial art/combat sport that has the ‘fight’ mindset drilled into it the most imo. Every fucking sparring session is like a fight in a lot of places! It’s actually something that boxing gyms should learn to tone down. I remember switching from amateur boxing to Muay Thai and notice a major difference in the aggression demonstrated in sparring. There was always a nervous energy around boxing sparring because you were going into a situation where your ‘partner’ would absolutely knock you out if the opportunity arose, whereas in Muay Thai it was a much more playful/learning experience.

Yeah. I’m looking forward to seeing how this plays out

Is anybody besides the really weird obsessed hopefully little kid Conor fans actually excited about this? Are they saving up their lunch money and allowances to bet it on this fight like they did Floyd-Connor?

So you were really hyped for this because the retired over the hill much better puncher may possibly get a broken hand from beating on the low-level MMA fighter?
It gave the other guy a chance, Paulie breaks his hands and gets his heart tested.

It's also not bare knuckle anymore so the name should be changed.

Paulie is shot to bits and the ring is tiny. Lobos has a very real shot here.

When I picked him as a slight favorite -

- I wasn’t aware about the gloves.

Now that I’ve seen that these are the “gloves” - according to Forbes...
View attachment 602003
I’m taking a step back on the favorite talk. I’m at 50/50 now.

If the “gloves” end up being any more than that picture, Paulie becomes my favorite.

The fact that they’re using any kind of “gloves” is bullsh** btw. They just had an event and there were no “gloves” ... kind of makes you wonder why?
That’s not a glove it’s a fucking wrap

It's still fighting. If you see two guys hitting eachother in the face on the streets without anyone attempting a takedown, what would you say they were doing?

It's literally in the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

fight
verb
\ ˈfīt \
fought\ ˈfȯt \; fighting
Definition of fight
(Entry 1 of 2)

intransitive verb

1a: to contend in battle or physical combat especially : to strive to overcome a person by blows or weapons. The soldiers fought bravely.
b: to engage in boxing. He will fight for the heavyweight title next month.
2: to put forth a determined effort. They were fighting to stay awake.

Yeah well how this started is that I said that it is pathetic when a boxer is calling himself a fighter. Sure if that boxer is boxing on the street without rules he may call himself a fighter I can give you that. But if you are boxing in a gym with boxing rules don't walk around calling your self a fighter because you are not.

By the way I find it kinda funny how this thing is hitting you in the nerve. Don't tell me you used to box and now walk around telling people you are a fighter :)

can't wait to see paulie and artem compete for conor's ultimate gay kiss

Jeez.. Morons over in the "Chael Sonnen is the Salt of the Earth" thread are proving Paulie right.

Yeah well how this started is that I said that it is pathetic when a boxer is calling himself a fighter. Sure if that boxer is boxing on the street without rules he may call himself a fighter I can give you that. But if you are boxing in a gym with boxing rules don't walk around calling your self a fighter because you are not.

By the way I find it kinda funny how this thing is hitting you in the nerve. Don't tell me you used to box and now walk around telling people you are a fighter :)
Well, you walk around telling folks you are human, so...

So it’s about rules? Then why is MMA fighting? Plenty of rules there.

Also, nice that you went for a poorly executed ad hominem instead of addressing the dictionary definition. That’s an automatic loss. I win this fight. Any further comments you have you can address to Merriam Webster.

So it’s about rules? Then why is MMA fighting? Plenty of rules there.

Also, nice that you went for a poorly executed ad hominem instead of addressing the dictionary definition. That’s an automatic loss. I win this fight. Any further comments you have you can address to Merriam Webster.

The highlighted part is the prime example on how you actually know you have lost the argument. Sorry for hitting your nerve. By the way funny how you chose the term "fight". I bet after this you walk around in your own little word and call yourself a fighter when you try to make yourself believe that you have won one argument in the internet.

Best luck to you since you obviously are gonna need a lot of it.

Edit:

By the dictionary standard of a fighter you would be a fighter too since you are fighting a loosing battle and not giving up. So I guess I was wrong anybody who has ever struggled in their life is a fighter so pretty much every person who has ever lived. Sorry I take everything back. Paulie is clearly a fighter and can call himself that. By his looks alone I bet he has faced a lot of adversity.

Last edited:
Back