Opinion “Mighty white of you.” Racist towards whites or towards non-whites.

lol funny you should mention PR's in this thread. I remember growing up on the east coast, African Americans always would mistake me for PR because I'm pale, so occasionally they would try to bond with me by shitting on Mexicans since they were seen as a common enemy between the two groups.
Because they both fear Mexicans, since Mexicans are the dominate group on the streets.

I'm white and this has literally never happened to me. I must not be hanging out in the right places.
That’s fantastic if that’s your experience. But mine has been quite different.

lol funny you should mention PR's in this thread. I remember growing up on the east coast, African Americans always would mistake me for PR because I'm pale, so occasionally they would try to bond with me by shitting on Mexicans since they were seen as a common enemy between the two groups.
Real talk

Because they both fear Mexicans, since Mexicans are the dominate group on the streets.
yeah on the west coast for sure. On the east coast in the 90s/early 2000's it wasnt like that.

have never heard that term in my life.

yeah on the west coast for sure. On the east coast in the 90s/early 2000's it wasnt like that.
Black-Mexican rivalry is more due to street stuff while Mexico-Puerto Rico is more of a Latino rivalry especially in sports and culture

lol Same here.
I pull up a chair, and have a shit eating grin on my face everytime I get a chance to hear a young white lad start to talk about his first experience of "racism". Shit is cute.
<{outtahere}>
Often times, it isn't even "racism". It's usually cultural or language misunderstandings/barriers.
Yes this happens so often and life in the east for somebody with Caucasian features is being a minority on easy mode anyway.

Black-Mexican rivalry is more due to street stuff while Mexico-Puerto Rico is more of a Latino rivalry especially in sports and culture
I don’t know about that the older generations in my Latino side were definitely prejudiced against blacks old school style. Goes back to the whole pie concept fighting over slivers of pie ignoring the larger chunks being looted.
Rico Mexican beef is like you said a Latino rivalry but if we’re surrounded we will group up.

literally never heard this
It's used a lot by peckerwoods and skinheads. It's a compliment the way they use it.

PW: "hey wanna beer?"
SH: "that's mighty white of you"

Never heard it used in a negative way.

For those of you unfamiliar with the phrase, it’s more or less user as a sarcastic way of saying thanks for an act of generosity that isn’t so generous.

Me: “Hey, WTF happened to my burger?”
therealsope: “I was hungry so I ate it. But here, I saved you some pickle slices. I wasn’t going to eat them anyway, but you can have it.”
Me: “Well, that’s mighty white of you.”

What part of the phrase does the sarcasm modify, the white part and the implication that the man is fair or to the entire saying itself?
It's a term created by white people. LOL

I’ll show youse mighty white....

tenor.gif

I've met Tipper Gore when I was in Uganda..

That is one TALL and HANDSOME woman! :)

I've met Tipper Gore when I was in Uganda..

I met the First Ladies of Uganda and Tanzania once in Uganda. They weren’t so tall and handsome.

When were you in Uganda?

Really my first time hearing that expression. Maybe I heard it before but I don't recall

There's two types of white folks that annoy me nowadays to no end:

1. The white people that are always trying to 'earn points' with the minority crowd by shitting on anything white related. Always talking about how everything is "soooooo white" and the whole "you're a white male so shut up." Why it infuriates me is that most of these types (usually white Leftists) hang and live around mostly white folks with the occasional 'friends of color' they want to take pictures with to show their inclusiveness. Ran into these types all the time on campus.

2. Those white people that always try to make it seem like racism doesn't exist anymore or try to act like they have it so much worse than other racial groups. Those "why are people allowed to say stuff about white people but when I say something about *insert group* types." It's like, really? You're comparing getting made fun of to Jim Crow?

Thing is with the second group, they do make some valid points about how it seems more acceptable to be racist towards white people but they try to compare it to the same racism minorities face. For the record, I don't like all this blame white people for everything wrong in our society shit either. I mean a black dude slips on a banana peel with the word MAGA on it and folks are talking about it all over social media for days.

Back