“I finish fights!”

Imagine watching that awesome fight and then deciding to make a hater thread.
Right?
Not a hater. Just stating the obvious. Mans has gotten pieced up by two different champs.

Right. Just like Kenny Florian. My question is does he resemble Kenny in that aspect. Scarily similar.
You're not stating the obvious, you've taken what should be obvious and injected a shitty postulation. The third best bantamweight on the planet has lost fights to the first and second best bantamweights on the planet. He doesn't "choke" in the big ones. What a weird take.

I find it weird when people say fighters 'choke' in title fights

They're fighting the best fighter in the division (most of the time)

It's not choking, it's just losing

The term 'choking' is borrowed from other sports, sports where 1 play can put so much pressure on a player or team that it mentally fucks them up. An American Football kicker whiffing a last second game-winning field goal from close is a choke, a football/soccer player missing the net on a penalty kick could be a choke...

Just losing to a better opponent isn't choking.

This. Volk and Holloway are just far better fighters than KZ and everyone else Ortega fought.

Imagine watching that awesome fight and then deciding to make a hater thread.
This.

Choked? C’mon TS, Ortega got beat by the two best in the division that are or will be considered all time greats. He also had his moments vs. Volk and that’s for damn sure.
On that note, KenFlo wasn’t a choker either. He got beat by the best.

TS, you know there’s a reason why the best are considered the best right? Because they beat super talented guys like Ortega and KenFlo.

Choked as in not bringing home the strap on two occasions. To say he didn’t bring it is ignorant. I’m only asking if he resembled Kenny like attributes in title fights.

Choke is what Paulo Costa did against Adesanya.

Fighting a war like Ortega did cannot be considered the same or even close IMO. He almost finished the fight a couple of times... it was not for the lack of doing anything in his power.

IMHO he would be champ if Volk was not so fucking game!

There's a difference between choking and simply not being good enough. You're an idiot if you watch those 2 fights and believe Brian didn't gave it everything he possibly could. The truth is is that Volkanovski and Max are just a level above there rest of the guys. Brian is a top guy but just a notch below them.

Well ya gotta believe ya can... So?

Not every roll comes up...

He put on a gutsy performance and lost to the better man in a clear but competitive fight. Don't think that qualifies as choking. Good example of choking in MMA would be GSP/Serra 1, Aldo/MCgregor

He put on a gutsy performance and lost to the better man in a clear but competitive fight. Don't think that qualifies as choking. Good example of choking in MMA would be GSP/Serra 1, Aldo/MCgregor
Chael v Silva 1 I would say.

McG and Serra got one punch TKOs. It happens. But Chael dominated a fight for most of 23 minutes and then found an easy way out to not win.

Rozen v Overeem was also a dominant performance that ended the other way in the end, but somehow I don’t consider that a choke like Chael. I wonder why. Maybe because Chael had a history of choking (source = Chael himself) and AO doesn’t.

Anyway, I’m glad to see that everyone ahead of me also pointed out to TS that his terms are off base. Florian never choked (though the closest would have been TUF 1 finale, not any title shots), nor did Ortega.

Ortega is cursed by being very good and elite but prolly wont be a champion

Same breed as Kenflo, Rory, Mendes, Gus, JoeB etc
He can still improve his game. He's probably going to realize he'll need to add more wrestling/takedowns, transitions, scrambles to his game. He is very comfortable to be on his back because of his bjj but it also left him open to ground and pound after Volk was able to get out of the submissions and he was exhausted from trying to finish the 2 sub attempts.

He didn't choke at all, he fought good in both those fights, but its just Holloway and Volk are that good! and the best in the division

He can still improve his game. He's probably going to realize he'll need to add more wrestling/takedowns, transitions, scrambles to his game. He is very comfortable to be on his back because of his bjj but it also left him open to ground and pound after Volk was able to get out of the submissions and he was exhausted from trying to finish the 2 sub attempts.

Brian gives up position way too easily. Hes a sub hunter/finisher but hes not positionally sound. Hes more Frank Murr than Werdum. Even after Volk got out Brian gave up mount immediately and Volk got to side control

Brian gives up position way too easily. Hes a sub hunter/finisher but hes not positionally sound. Hes more Frank Murr than Werdum. Even after Volk got out Brian gave up mount immediately and Volk got to side control
Yeah his focus is on submissions, he tried to lock up Volk's neck and was trying to take his back when he turned, but Volk switched the direction he was turning to and grabbed a single leg instead. Ortega jumps on submissions and doesn't worry about control, which also makes his sub game dangerous. He almost got Volk twice with it, if he had more energy he may have been able to pull it off.

What a shitty take on last night’s fight

Nah, Rumble Johnson choked on title fights, where he could ended with 1 punch but was sorta gun shy.
Ortega and Florian tried everything they had in their title losses, they just happen to not being the best at their generation.

What Ortega did was not choking. Ortega gave it everything he had, took chances, and went for the win on multiple occasions. Volk was just a little better.

Back