“I can beat Dominick Cruz today" - Darrion Caldwell warwagon

Meathead Jock

WAR ASKREN
@Gold
Reaction score
Some reading material leading up to the future champs fight this Friday night.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Da...g-for-Bellator-Bantamweight-Title-Shot-108293

“He’s earned the right to fight me. He’s working his way up just like I am,” Caldwell told Sherdog.com. “Who wants to stay idle? Who wants to build ring rust? Not me. I’m young in this sport. I want to fight. Nobody wants to build up their ring rust. For me it’s about just staying active, whether it’s Joe Taimanglo or Eduardo Dantas, I just want to stay active. I don’t want to wait seven months; I want to fight every two or three months.”

Caldwell confirmed that he was given the option to wait for the winner of the Dantas-Marcos Galvao title bout at Bellator 156 in June. Considering that he hadn’t fought since March, it wasn’t an appealing choice.

“It [waiting] was an option, but I don’t want to stay idle,” he said. “I want to fight everybody at 135. I want to clear out the division so there’s no question who the best 135er in the world is.”
http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2016/7/1...l-interview-taimanglo-fight-contract-mma-news

“If Eddie Alvarez can come in and win a belt within two years, then there’s gonna be talent [currently in Bellator] that can do the same. He just solidified what I’m thinking,” he said. “UFC has got a lot of depth. I can’t downplay the fact that the UFC is a great organization. They’ve got a lot of depth. But in terms of the best fighters, I highly doubt they’ve got the number one fighter in each weight class.”

Caldwell fights Joe Taimanglo in the main event of Bellator 159 this Friday, July 22nd at the Kansas Star Arena in Mulvane, Kansas.

http://www.redlandsdailyfacts.com/s...ll-using-redlands-as-launchpad-to-world-title

Caldwell was 5-0 and two fights into his Bellator run when he was inspired by watching UFC lightweight Bobby Green defeat Josh Thomson at UFC on Fox 12 in the summer of 2014. He did some research into where the Fontana native trained and learned he fought out of a small gym in Redlands.

After getting in touch with Pinnacle proprietor Jake Behney, Caldwell, living in Arizona at the time, loaded up his car with his belongings and drove straight to the gym before he had even secured a place to live. He would end up bunking in a spare room at Pinnacle until he got on his feet.

“Jake’s been amazing; he opened up his gym to me since the first day,” Caldwell said. “Not a lot of people who don’t know you would give you that opportunity.

“This guy has been here for me since I got out here and he’s been nothing but a great mentor and phenomenal coach.”

Last edited:
590.gif

Hey, good to be confident... Just not over confident.

I could beat Dominic Cruz yesterday. Alas, the opportunity has passed.

According to Sherdog, Caldwell is 5'10 and Cruz is 5'8
If you think about Darrion strategy and speed, I really think he could have a chance in a couple of years
At least more than current Faber, stylistically speaking

According to Sherdog, Caldwell is 5'10 and Cruz is 5'8
If you think about Darrion strategy and speed, I really think he could have a chance in a couple of years
At least more than current Faber, stylistically speaking

He would have a "chance" if it took place tomorrow, in a couple of years he could be favored.

Darrion Caldwell embarrassed Brent Metcalf TWICE in ncaa competition---once pinning him with a flying spladle and then decisively beating him in the ncaa title match. Wouldn't suprise me at all if he beat Cruz today. He's also huge for BW. He was a 149lb wrestler in college.

Wouldnt shock me. Caldwell is a big boy at BW

People talk about Cruz as if he's some monster striker with feets of Ali, but I think his strength is his wrestling, that's why he can run like a hobo with his hands down, apparently he's good striker, but i think that's his bread and butter, and someone who's fast and great wrestler can beat Cruz.

he would be the best wrestler cruz has faced

Caldwell has all the potential in the world and charisma to go with it. Bellator have a great thing here, they better take advantage of it and promote the hell out of this dude.

Got to be able to take down Cruz to beat him. Cruz handles him on the feet, and there hasn't been anyone that's been able to get Cruz down.

Caldwell is great but I don't think, that striking wise he is at that level. Don't think he's going to finish him on the ground, if he can even get it there. And we have no idea how he looks going 5.

Favor Cruz pretty heavily. Haven't seen much in terms of foot work to make me think he can keep up with Cruz.

2 rounds and
Caldwell kills Cruz easily then destroys dillashaw in next round

Caldwell is a beast but I dont know about that, not right now.

In few years he could be best BW in the world but he's gonna have to come to UFC to prove that.

Lol Caldwell is cool and all but taking the easy career route doesn't really deserve praise. Don't mention Cruz if you blatantly avoided the org that you could fight him in.

Face it. None of the bantams are on his level. Cruz better wait about another year before he's ready for the Wolf. Remember he was out for a while. That's a big test for Cruz. Truth!

Cruz is no Joe Tamangelo, would get subbed in the 1st obviously...

Sometimes these things happen in MMA.

Back