“Gatekeeper”

Technically speaking by definition of the word "Gatekeeper", the champions are actually the gatekeepers.

You mean something like this ?

qUqkevs.jpg

No, they are not. Gatekeepers are fighters you need to beat to get into title contention. Former champions (say, current Aldo at FW) and #1 contender (say, Wonderboy at WW) can become gatekeepers, but certainly not current champions.

Those guys arent gatekeepers though. They are the second best fighters in their division.

A good example of a gatekeeper would be Bisping prior to getting gifted a title shot and winning. He was generally considered a mid to lower top 10 guy who was not quite good enough to fight for a belt and several fighters got title shots off of beating him.

Those guys arent gatekeepers though. They are the second best fighters in their division.

A good example of a gatekeeper would be Bisping prior to getting gifted a title shot and winning. He was generally considered a mid to lower top 10 guy who was not quite good enough to fight for a belt and several fighters got title shots off of beating him.

Well I actually said they may eventually become, not that they currently are necessarily.

However, for Wonderboy I would say he is almost a textbook gatekeeper at the moment seen that 1) despite being highly ranked is very far from a title shot (1-3 in his last four fights) and lost twice to the current champ, and 2) at least one guy (Till) got a TS off of beating him.

Well I actually said they may eventually become, not that they currently are necessarily.

However, for Wonderboy I would say he is almost a textbook gatekeeper at the moment seen that 1) despite being highly ranked is very far from a title shot (1-3 in his last four fights) and lost twice to the current champ, and 2) at least one guy (Till) got a TS off of beating him.

Lmao not even close. For starters Wonderboy is 8-2-1, not 1-3. He lost to Woodley once, not twice. Secondly, both those loses are debatable, especially the last fight which most people think he won. He's nowhere near a gatekeeper.

Aldo is the only one who has been 1-3 and that was before the Stephens win. Still didn't make him a gatekeeper, even though he is far from a title shot. Being the second best guy in the division doesn't make you a gatekeeper. Wonderboy and Aldo are in the same position Joe B was for years. 2nd best but already fought the champ twice so won't be in title contention until the champ loses.

Lmao not even close. For starters Wonderboy is 8-2-1, not 1-3. He lost to Woodley once, not twice. Secondly, both those loses are debatable, especially the last fight which most people think he won. He's nowhere near a gatekeeper.

I clearly said in his last four fights. The first fight was a draw, you are right (I somehow remembered it was a majority decision for Woodley). The second was a loss, doesn't matter what you or I think. One contender just got a TS off of beating him. Hence, I consider current Wonderboy a gatekeeper at WW. Doesn't mean he is bad fighter or that he doesn't have the potential to turn things around.

Back