“Gatekeeper”

FireKidWS

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just watched Evan Tanner vs Rich Franklin

Evan Tanner called himself a gatekeeper in his pre fight interview.

Is this how the term became popular on Sherdog?

I wasn’t around back then so oldies I appreciate your knowledge

Also, anyone think it was an early stoppage?

nope, its a boxing term that precedes mma by a century.

You know when/how the term “can” became popular?
not sure when it was first coined, but I've heard it used as far back as the 70's. They typically said "tomato can" and it got shortened over time.

Technically speaking by definition of the word "Gatekeeper", the champions are actually the gatekeepers.

I heard the word soup can/tomato can in boxing when I was a youth in the 70s

Edit: it's because they are easily "tossed" away/aside

not sure when it was first coined, but I've heard it used as far back as the 70's. They typically said "tomato can" and it got shortened over time.
And as far as origin, I think it was referring to the fact that an incompetent boxer is just a container full of red, like a tomato can. When crushed, the red comes out.

Edit: also easily crushable

Technically speaking by definition of the word "Gatekeeper", the champions are actually the gatekeepers.
giphy.gif

Nate Diaz is the ultimate gatekeeper

Nate has never been a gatekeeper. He was a prospect who got kept at the gate a couple times by actual gatekeepers like Clay Guida and Dong Hyun Kim. He has since clearly moved into contender status.

Use that money you spend being a member on a free forum and buy a dictionary boys.
... the gatekeepers are keeping the gate that separates the champ from everyone else. You have to get past the gatekeeper to get to the champ

No, they are not. Gatekeepers are fighters you need to beat to get into title contention. Former champions (say, current Aldo at FW) and #1 contender (say, Wonderboy at WW) can become gatekeepers, but certainly not current champions.

Was it the first or the second fight? Tanner was champ in the second fight so if he used it there we’ve changed the meaning of the word.

Back