“Amazing” title fight with Lawler was “really good for my career”

Rory is the best WW currently fighting.

He is 0-2 to Lawler in the past two years. I can see why one might be tempted to put him ahead of Lawler because he did very well in both fights and sometimes a guy just has your number. But yeah, 0-2 and both are relatively recent fights.

I'm a fan of Rory MacDonald now because of that fight. If Robbie was not in the UFC, he'd be champion today. I don't see anybody at 170 beating Rory right now. Too young and too hungry. Lombard is in a bad situation.

I'd like to see Hendricks vs Rory, if Johny can make welterweight. Both guys lost to Lawler recently and both have fought him more than once. It seems like matching them up would go a long way toward getting one of them back into a title fight quickly.

I never was a big Rory fan before, I had previously seen him as a point fighter and the "next GSP" hype annoyed me

But not only was that Lawler fight amazing, he's been a complete class act in defeat since. I really hope he holds that title someday. Would love to see him beat up crybaby Hendricks

Great post. I agree comprehensively.

that fight made me a rory fan.

i never really cared for him before that. i hated his "just do enough to win" and "neutralizing" fight style.

that fight he let it all hang out. even if he came up second best, i can respect the way he fought.

I still don't know if I would say I'm a fan, but I gained a lot of respect for him in that fight. I had said to the people I was watching with "this is going to be a boring 5 round decision" right before the fight started. They sure proved me wrong.

Rory is boring. He throws a quick 1,2.. front kick to the body..no knock out power in his hands.. was throwing with his elbows when he should have been dropping bombs to the head and to the body. If you can't keep Robbie 2.0 on the ground or against the fence you are going to get finished

Rory is insanely tough. So is Robbie. It got a little hard to watch but what a thrilling fight.

Welterweight is a shark tank but I think its pretty likely Rory wears UFC gold eventually.

Rory is by far my favourite fighter to watch

I have been a Rory fan right from his debut in the UFC.

I have always felt badly for him having to fight under GSP's shadow and then as this quietly maturing young adult. The last fight with Robbie seems to have brought him to a new level as a fighter and with fans. He is finally able to stand alone without the looming GSP comparisons and he seems to have found his 'voice', something that just wasn't available to him for a long while.

I look forward to many more Rory fights and hopefully someday he will get a UFC belt strapped to his waist. Clearly his mind is there. Now he just needs to shore up some areas to make it happen.

Rory is boring. He throws a quick 1,2.. front kick to the body..no knock out power in his hands.. was throwing with his elbows when he should have been dropping bombs to the head and to the body. If you can't keep Robbie 2.0 on the ground or against the fence you are going to get finished

Shut up heathen

I still don't know if I would say I'm a fan, but I gained a lot of respect for him in that fight. I had said to the people I was watching with "this is going to be a boring 5 round decision" right before the fight started. They sure proved me wrong.

I bet you still felt that way at least through round one. Because that was a feeling out round and the action didn't kick off til later.

Brutal match. Rory is pretty cool. He does not seem like the whiny, bitchy type after a loss either.

th

no you get out

rory didn't and cant beat lawler standing. rory lacks the power in his shots.

I do think Rory has the power, I mean he did wobble Lawler with a partially blocked kick. I know, he lost to Lawler twice, but I still think he has the tools to get it done on the feet. I mean if his nose just held up he would of won that fight via striking.

Not that I was going for him though. I was going for Lawler. But made respect for him.

Rory has been humbled in such a way that i really fear for the division. I cant for his return he seems ready to take that next step. No more psychopath gimmick, this dude is out for gold and blood.

It's really funny how after a fight has happened, people talk about it in a way that shows they see whatever they want to see. I'm a huge fan of both these guys and it's embarrassing to see people say Rory can't beat Lawler in a stand up fight or that Lawler fucked Rory up badly. Why do fans forget fights as soon as they're over but continue to talk such nonsense?

It was the last round and Rory was up 3-1, in a purely stand up fight because Rory couldn't take Lawler down. How am i seeing people saying Rory doesn't have power to finish when he almost finished him twice with beautiful headkicks and had him wobbly all over the place? In the end, of course the result is what matters, but don't try to change the fight in your own silly little world.

Better than the guy who made his face explode? Rory is a badass though and he deserves to be at the top of the division.

Lawler has insane power, everyone knows that, and he was a savage to target that nose as soon as it broke early on. Rory was winning the fight until the finish and hurt Lawler twice and almost finished him, Rory was never close to being wobbly.

Lawler deservedly won a great, great fight, it's not controversial to think Rory is still a better fighter.

Haven't seen a picture of him since then-- how's his nose look these days? That shit was nuts.

Back