Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

2Ffcii1.jpg

ponsosdedica.jpg

https://phys.org/news/2017-09-ponso-sole-survivor-chimpanzee-island.html

"Oooah! Oooah!" Screeching to see visitors on the forested "Chimpanzee Island" in Ivory Coast, Ponso is the last, lonely survivor of a colony of 20 apes who mysteriously died or vanished.
Only Ponso remains of the group of chimpanzees relocated to the tiny island from Liberia in 1983 by a research laboratory for medical tests.

Can't stand chimps. Chimps, killer whales and elephants are the evil animals in the world, they can do nasty things.

@esant707 thats been the dominating piston my fb feed today, really sad stuff. It's amazing how many species we lose every day.

I was watching a video of a barracuda following a diver and eventually the diver finds a Lionfish and when the barracuda strikes the Lionfish I was struck with how streamlined, efficient, and violent a barracuda really is. The precision with which the barracuda lunges forward and then dismantles the Lionfish makes me wonder how the diver can even feel safe with that fucker circling around.

Wait a god-damn second! Stick insects fly?!?!

I was watching a video of a barracuda following a diver and eventually the diver finds a Lionfish and when the barracuda strikes the Lionfish I was struck with how streamlined, efficient, and violent a barracuda really is. The precision with which the barracuda lunges forward and then dismantles the Lionfish makes me wonder how the diver can even feel safe with that fucker circling around.

Glad to see fish predating those damn lionfish. As for cudas, they can be intimidating in the water but they're just curious pussycats ;)

Glad to see fish predating those damn lionfish. As for cudas, they can be intimidating in the water but they're just curious pussycats ;)

I'm not sure the red above is a complete idea. What are you saying there? Not trying to be a dick, I just have no idea what you mean.

They're an invasive species destroying the reef ecosystem off the coast of Florida.
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/florida-keys/article152545109.html

Thanks for the read, I had no idea. One thing that confuses me about the article is the following.

The tournament was part of Pensacola’s Lionfish Removal and Awareness Day Festival. The invasive species has no natural predators, largely due to their array of venomous spines.

I just posted a video of a Barracuda chopping one in half in about 1 second. That isn't a natural predator?

Thanks for the read, I had no idea. One thing that confuses me about the article is the following.

The tournament was part of Pensacola’s Lionfish Removal and Awareness Day Festival. The invasive species has no natural predators, largely due to their array of venomous spines.

I just posted a video of a Barracuda chopping one in half in about 1 second. That isn't a natural predator?

The diver speared it before the barracuda struck. Barracuda are known to follow spear fishers around to steal their catch.

The diver speared it before the barracuda struck. Barracuda are known to follow spear fishers around to steal their catch.

Predatory and opportunistic, sounds about right.

They don't have any native predators here but some fish have learned how to eat them safely. Similar things have happened in Australia with cane toads, a few natives have figured out how to eat them without getting poisoned.

I've seen vids of mutton snappers and naussau grouper putting in work on them too. Having speared plenty myself, they're a relatively slow moving fish. They are good at hiding in, around, and under structure and know their head is the weak spot but slowly, fish are learning how to eat them.

To avoid the parotid glands, I've heard crows/ravens will flip the toads and disembowel them. Gnarly stuff!

I've seen vids of mutton snappers and naussau grouper putting in work on them too. Having speared plenty myself, they're a relatively slow moving fish. They are good at hiding in, around, and under structure and know their head is the weak spot but slowly, fish are learning how to eat them.

To avoid the parotid glands, I've heard crows/ravens will flip the toads and disembowel them. Gnarly stuff!
Have you been stung yet? I kept a different species, fu manchus, and got stung once. It was like a nasty bee sting.

Have you been stung yet? I kept a different species, fu manchus, and got stung once. It was like a nasty bee sting.

I haven't personally but know several people who have. It sucks but it isn't terrible (mileage may vary)

I don't know why but this monkey's behavior, agility, and human like reactions are fascinating to watch.

Bonus: At 3:05 when his owner asks him if there is a hair in his silly putty, I swear the monkey says yea.

Back