Zookeeper Gabe's Animal Thread V7.0

What a jerk:

tumblr_nbsspxe4321rtxrybo1_500.gif

:( sad news on the tiger. Another gem of the nature lost due to human error.

Just a friendly reminder that this goofy mother fucker exists:
95c6d8862de8791b26503553d49da5db--unique-animal-pics.jpg

d2b4d0177918b90e34c3a979d9e9b942.jpg

That's a maned wolf, AKA stilts fox.

Maned wolves (not actually wolves) make ridiculous sounds when excited and smell terrible.

Is it true they are much more gentle than chimps? Which enclosure would you rather fall into?
Gorilla for sure, while much bigger and stronger. They are less likely to maul you to death, you certainly could get severely injured. But chimps are just such scary animals imo, chimps may just leave you alone too. So many factors go into those situations

Last one must have been thinking, "Dude, why didn't I follow everybody else?"

Well, that and: "FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK."

Last edited:
Gorilla for sure, while much bigger and stronger. They are less likely to maul you to death, you certainly could get severely injured. But chimps are just such scary animals imo, chimps may just leave you alone too. So many factors go into those situations
then why is it then that so many people keep chimps as "pets" and not gorillas? obviously we hear many horror stories, but it must be done with some success overall because we still have them. yet never gorillas. is it that we see the chimps as cute looking little things and gorillas just look so fierce?

then why is it then that so many people keep chimps as "pets" and not gorillas? obviously we hear many horror stories, but it must be done with some success overall because we still have them. yet never gorillas. is it that we see the chimps as cute looking little things and gorillas just look so fierce?
People are dumb and think because they are smaller they can handle them. Plus gorillas are pretty much impossible to get.

I hate how Chimps hunt monkeys for fun and tribal business.

What is the most dangerous / terrifying animal you have at your zoo?

and how did you become a zookeeper? you studied zoology, graduated then got promoted?

What is the most dangerous / terrifying animal you have at your zoo?
The elephants by far are the most dangerous, but overall luckily aren't aggressive. I work with our rattlesnakes and Komodo dragon which some people think are terrifying. But I was using a brush to scratch my dragon the other day. So she's not that scary, lol

As for getting into zookeeping, I've always loved animals and been taking care of animals since I was a kid. I got my B.S in psychology and focused on animal behavior, studied wolves in the wild in WI, the got an internship working with big cats in TX and haven't looked back. That was over 14 years ago

The elephants by far are the most dangerous, but overall luckily aren't aggressive. I work with our rattlesnakes and Komodo dragon which some people think are terrifying. But I was using a brush to scratch my dragon the other day. So she's not that scary, lol

As for getting into zookeeping, I've always loved animals and been taking care of animals since I was a kid. I got my B.S in psychology and focused on animal behavior, studied wolves in the wild in WI, the got an internship working with big cats in TX and haven't looked back. That was over 14 years ago
Wow, awesome. I would love to work at a zoo, I got a B.S in psychology too ahah, but I am going into counselling. Big cats can be pretty scary, like bengal, or the wild cats you see in ABQ and TX etc. I don't know the names of their breed, but they look like housecats but are more built for hunting I guess. Or the cat that Jon Jones has, it is like a smaller cheetah lol, I would pass on keeping one of those as a pet.

But wow, komodo dragons are so cool. Scary, I seen a video of one of these dragons biting a buffalo, then stalking it for the next three weeks (until death) as its venom/bacteria in saliva ate away and weakened the buffalo's system. Beautiful creatures. I can imagine that elephants can be dangerous at times, especially the African elephants compared to the Indian/Thai counterparts.

how do zoos handle elephants in musth?

Back