Zomia - millions (and millions) in SE asia living beyond the state?

TheGoodNews

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Zomia is an area in the highlands of SE asia roughly the size of Europe and spread out over eight separate nations where close to a hundred million people (made up of ethnic minorities) have been living beyond the reach of various regimes and state actors for generations. It is also the subject of anthropologist James C. Scott's controversial book The Art of Not Being Governed: An Anarchist History of Upland Southeast Asia where he suggested that Zomia's inhabitants purposely adopted various techniques to avoid assimilation into surrounding nation-states and low-land societies, preferring to remain in completely independent communities. Though some still get visits from the tax collector or army patrol.

http://chronicle.com/article/The-Battle-Over-Zomia/128845/

Some of the techniques allegedly used in Zomia include creating leaderless communities, swidden agricultural practices and development of sophisticated oral traditions to encumber government record keepers.

There's the suggestion that some in the west are indulging in romanticism regarding Zomia. And I'm not suggesting that it is any sort of ideal to be emulated. (It's also said to be in gradual decline due to the encroachments of modernity). But it makes for an interesting case study and based on the way it is described, Zomia does seems like an example of what anthropologist David Graeber referred in one of his writings as a "strategy of exodus", where freedom is obtained not through confrontation but a sort of strategic avoidance. In this case on a seemingly massive scale.

Zomia.jpg

^Someone once compared it to Cthullu. I saw an ordinary octopus. Maybe I should retake the Rorschach test? :)

^Someone once compared it to Cthullu. I saw an ordinary octopus. Maybe I should retake the Rorschach test? :)

Heh, to be honest, I was gunna say Cthulhu at first, too...

Unfortunately neither my library nor any in the area have a copy of this book. Too bad, because I'd like to read it; it's got an intriguing thesis. I guess I could pony up the ten bucks for a used copy on Amazon, but...I'm poor.

This thread is already great. We need more threads with information and interesting ideas and less idiot "liberals" threads from Iman Barlow.

Tibet is controlled by the Chinese. But I guess it is so vast, that you can just dissapear, and not be bothered unless your cave has gold in it. Then the Chinese come knocking.

As for Burma, and Thailand there is quite a few indigenous minorities that have insurgent armies like the United Wa, the Shan states, and the Kokang. They deal opium and is collectively known as the Golden Triangle as opposed to the Golden Crescent in A-Stan.

The chinese apparently play a large part in this as well. After the Chinese Civil War, some of the nationalists escaped into those highlands of Burma and Thailand too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khun_Sa

See that guy above. You thought Pablo Escobar was the man.

Tibet is controlled by the Chinese. But I guess it is so vast, that you can just dissapear, and not be bothered unless your cave has gold in it. Then the Chinese come knocking.

As for Burma, and Thailand there is quite a few indigenous minorities that have insurgent armies like the United Wa, the Shan states, and the Kokang. They deal opium and is collectively known as the Golden Triangle as opposed to the Golden Crescent in A-Stan.

The chinese apparently play a large part in this as well. After the Chinese Civil War, some of the nationalists escaped into those highlands of Burma and Thailand too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khun_Sa

See that guy above. You thought Pablo Escobar was the man.

Escobar's life seemed a lot cooler. Sounds like this dude was sweating it out in some jungle hut, whereas Escobar ran Colombia. Better living in Colombia than Burma.

That's interesting stuff. That would be a good place to bug out when the New World Order comes.

Heh, to be honest, I was gunna say Cthulhu at first, too...

Unfortunately neither my library nor any in the area have a copy of this book. Too bad, because I'd like to read it; it's got an intriguing thesis. I guess I could pony up the ten bucks for a used copy on Amazon, but...I'm poor.

It looks like a reaper from Mass Effect.

Zomia is an area in the highlands of SE asia r

Judging from the map Zomia includes parts of South Asia also, though those places ofc has a different feeling from the rest of South Asia. Arunchal Pradesh is such a beautiful and sparsely populated place and also so vastly different from southern parts of India culturally.

That's interesting stuff. That would be a good place to bug out when the New World Order comes.
Well, according to sources this has been going on in the areas now referred to collectively as "Zomia" for as much as two thousand years. I imagine this will continue for generations and generations to come despite modern encroachments.

Well, according to sources this has been going on in the areas now referred to collectively as "Zomia" for as much as two thousand years. I imagine this will continue for generations and generations to come despite modern encroachments.

Nah, with China getting more and more powerful they will eat up those areas.

^James Scott does say that Zomia has been in decline since the end of WW II. But how far that will go...?

Can I move there? Do they have Free internet?

Back