Zimbabwe coup or not?

Read one report that his wife has left the country and another that she is also under house arrest

another coup, I just hope this will not end up like the one in Turkey where people got run over by tanks!

ShinkanPo always with the humanitarian remarks. Apparently they only had 4 tanks and one of them broke down. So I think people are safe.

Lol. I am enjoying how the military is still adamantly maintaining that this is not a coup.
It reminds me of 19th century Japan. The emperor was so popular both sides claimed to be fighting for him, even though one side was leaded by the emperor himself, but of course, he was under bad influences according to the shogun.

In other news, it appears to be official now:
https://www.wsj.com/articles/explosions-heard-in-zimbabwes-capital-1510712556
Zimbabwean President Robert Mugabe was confined to his home as the military tightened its grip over government and civic institutions on Wednesday, widening operations to subdue what it called the country’s “degenerating” political establishment, though the military denied it was ousting the longtime leader

Zimbabwe can't get much worse in terms of corruption and mismanagement. Who knows, maybe a military junta will be an improvement?

There's been a struggle going on between the vice president and Mrs Mugabe over who's going to take the reigns when Bob dies.
Probably related to that, and probably a purge by one of the two evil fuckers or the other.
Doubt it's anything to celebrate.

Would be happy to be wrong. It's about time Zimbaweans got something better.

Also, this all brings the likelihood of civil war in my country a bit closer... and I already suspected that it might happen in the next two years.
Don't they know that Mugabe is immortal?

Zimbabwe can't get much worse in terms of corruption and mismanagement. Who knows, maybe a military junta will be an improvement?
Literally anything else is better but I've also heard that one before. It would be impressive if you can make that country worse.

Literally anything else is better but I've also heard that one before. It would be impressive if you can make that country worse.
Two areas it can get much worse are violence (Zimbabwe has a ton of social problems, but not a great deal of violence) and, bizarrely, elementary education, though the latter will probably worsen because Zimbabwean teachers have been leaving the country over the last decade.

That's the general feeling among the Zimbabweans i know. No one is too keen on the former vice president taking over, but most seem to feel that the only way to make zimbabwe worse is if Grace succeeds Bob.

This is long overdue.

i wonder if the British will be planning a invasion or military intervention

The state our Military is in, we'd struggle to get there, never mind invade the bloody place.:rolleyes:

its Africa. it can ALWAYS get worse. and generally will.

I like how all the google professors are pretending to be Zimbabwean historians in this thread.

So by my understanding, in short the Vice President had more influence over the military and when the president forced the VP out, a week later the VP had his "friends" in the army confine the president to his home and the VP came back to the country?

VP shortly in charge, possibly charging the pres with political crimes to officially remove him from power?

At least it all seems mostly peaceful so far

nevermind. i figured you guys would considering its yalls sphere of influence

Joking aside, we should sit this one out. It's not our problem and we gain nothing from interfering.

TV news anchor wears camo, tanks on streets and head of state detained for "safety". I think there is possibility of a coup.

TV news anchor wears camo, tanks on streets and head of state detained for "safety". I think there is possibility of a coup.
07-minister.jpg

noone commenting on the zimbabwe bitcoin exchange?

it hit $13500 in us equivalent i guess.

theres only one exchange for that country from what i understand, it seems like the people who can afford internet are going all out on crypto

Back