ZERO Rotational Strength

It sounds like you're not using an explosive rotation. I am picturing you turning without using this "BAM" twitch, for lack of a better way to put it. If you're just turning and not trying to turn your body so hard it breaks your spine and you're paralyzed, that's the issue.

And I realize that my identification of a possible problem is exactly what you're trying to fix, but maybe the mindset will help you. Make the turn VIOLENT. Picture a cannon turning your body rather than like a pulley. Launch yourself. Not a steady turn but an initial explosion.

There is a huge amount in common with a major league pitcher throwing a fast ball and a straight right.

Sorry if this is a useless post to you.

I tried this out right now (putting weight on punching foot and not punching across body) and after playing around with it for a little bit I got that familiar muscle memory of how I've always thrown a 1-2 when it felt 'right' in the past

My question now is why did I stop doing it that way to begin with. I know for the right hand, I was hitting pads one day and my coach told me to aim the right hand a little above my nose. And this is what I've put into my muscle memory the last few months. Maybe my stance has been to square and this is what caused the confusion
a lot of people over complicate things if it feels natural it is probably right, as long as you are maintain the basics. like chin position and recovering your guard after punching.

I tried this out right now (putting weight on punching foot and not punching across body) and after playing around with it for a little bit I got that familiar muscle memory of how I've always thrown a 1-2 when it felt 'right' in the past

My question now is why did I stop doing it that way to begin with. I know for the right hand, I was hitting pads one day and my coach told me to aim the right hand a little above my nose. And this is what I've put into my muscle memory the last few months. Maybe my stance has been to square and this is what caused the confusion
your probably right about the stance being too square, hard to turn into a punch when your hips are already square, also a lot of boxing is about defence not force generation with punches so some coaches aren't really that good at coaching punching power.

your probably right about the stance being too square, hard to turn into a punch when your hips are already square, also a lot of boxing is about defence not force generation with punches so some coaches aren't really that good at coaching punching power.

I still can't throw hooks. I'm gonna keep working Abs

I still can't throw hooks. I'm gonna keep working Abs
Jesus christ dude you've been boxing for a month. Just slow it down and keep practicing the mechanics, it takes a very long time to get right.

Again, you can theorise all kinds of stuff, but we can't know what the problem is if you don't post a video.

While doing crunches is fine, it wont do shit for your hooks.

Back