Zero Carb= Fantastic Results but Questions Remain

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got myself a glucometer, tested myself and got a 87 out of that, about 90 minutes after my breakfast of bacon, eggs and diet coke. This probably tells me absolutely nothing and I will test myself after waking up tomorrow...
How often do you actually test yourselves?

My blood glucose after waking up was 83, what do I make of this?
I also ate a whole diabetics-diet-chocolate sweetened mostly with maltit, it had 6 grams of sugar remaining. It was pretty good, but I instantly got "the sweats" and it pushed me from mid-eighties to 106. Although this isn't that much, now I'm getting this carb-tired feeling and am nauseous.
Apparently: fuck you, polyols.

I never use a glucometer. I asked Sinister about getting one and this is what I was told: "Some glucometers have a 30ml/dl margin of error"

IMO what the point if there could be a +/- difference of 30?

Yeah, my glucometer seems to be a cheap one as well. My mother works in an endocrinology-lab, so when I visit my parents I'll get to use one that is extremely exact. I can still check changes in my blood glucose, for example after consuming maltit, the glucometer comes pretty handy at those times.
For finding out, if you are in ketosis, those strips are probably better, but I don't really bother with buying them. I get some signs of ketosis, that's enough for me...

I used a glucometer back when I worked in a lab and was experimenting with various types of ketogenic diets. After a while, measuring blood glucose levels was pretty much a waste of time. When I developed the proper habits to maintain ketosis without doing anything stupid, there was no need for ketostix either.

Diet-wise I do great on keto, but kills my attitude, because holy hell do I miss pasta, and I like to cook.

After a while in ketosis, similar to the induction phase proposed by Atkins, I can get by with consuming a small amount of carbs post-workout without getting pushed out of ketosis. The amount depends on training intensity and volume.

Ok I remember reading somewhere in the middle of the thread, but fuck me I can't find it, so can someone please briefly remind me whether or not I still need to create a calorie deficit in low carb for weight loss?

Ok I remember reading somewhere in the middle of the thread, but fuck me I can't find it, so can someone please briefly remind me whether or not I still need to create a calorie deficit in low carb for weight loss?

Yes you do.

Yes you do.

That's the question. People in here, and I find that pretty conclusive, do not believe, you need a deficit. If you actually stay in ketosis for most, there is no insulin around to actually start storing your fat. Also it's pretty hard to really overeat on a keto-diet, as meat and cheese are somewhat self-limiting. People also tend to spare fat if they count calories, which is absolutely terrible, as you steal yourself the needed energy...

From the last page:
To add to what booher is saying, it's not to insinuate that caloric deficit doesn't apply at all, just that this is a less tedious way to achieve it for those who utilize it.

For the most part, I just eat. The simple calories in/out methods don't quite apply, as that's been discussed. Most time with just eating to satiety, I know I'm not "overdoing" it anyways.

Coconut falls under the same class a soy. There's no coconut "milk" as there's no coconut teet. It's coconut juice. They only called it soy milk because soy juice sounds disgusting if you're familiar with the soybean. But there is no milking soy, coconuts, or almonds.

After reading through all 127 pages in 1 day, I think this is the best post in the the entire thread.

Your assessment is correct. As long as the protein intake stays sufficient, a person shouldn't lose muscle to a detriment while utilizing very low-carb nutrition. However, if they want to add muscle, the only way that can be done while still using the state of ketosis is to do cyclic carbohydrate super-compensation. Which is the 48-hour re-feeding procedure. The simple way to do this is to keep calories moderate, protein the same, lower fat intake, and keep carbohydrate intake around 10g per lb of LBM per day. For this purpose the faster absorbing the carbs the better, so theoretically the "worst" carbs work best for this. However some people have side-effects, like the insulin sleep, or rushes of energy due to high sugar intake. So I always recommend doing this on rest days, and sleeping a lot. The body will typically be more apt to refill glycogen stores and build muscle tissue as opposed to storing fat, and more precisely so if the last day of working out is designed to deplete glycogen.

But if a person isn't necessarily looking to build muscle, this procedure isn't really necessary. If the goal is to be as lean and strong as possible, that can be done without super-compensation.

So if looking to make gain in LBM, this refeeding process is necessary to do it optimally. I understand how you would do the process itself, but where do you fit it in? For example do you do the 48 hours once a week? Does it matter when in the week? Is during the refeed the time in which you should go for the gains (i.e. hard lifts or what have you), or does the refeeding process make the gains in LBM possible for a longer period of time than then 48 hours?

As others have said, thanks again for your wealth of information on the thread; looking forward to your email response.

Calorie Counting:

I start this diet, not counting calories. I didn't have the visual results that I was expecting.

When I started to really monitor calories they weight has been coming off consistently at 2 pounds per week. As soon as I entered my food into a calorie counter I quickly realized how easy it is to eat a ton of calories. Full Cream and Ground Beef pack a big calorie punch. I really had to dial down my ground beef servings.

If you guys can get away with not counting calories and still getting results - more power to you. However, I eat too much to be able to do this. I need to count calories for some sort of discipline.

Yeh I think that's the key thing. If you're someone who really enjoys food and is prone to eating larger servings, not counting your calories whilst doing a ketogenic diet can be a problem. On the flip side, it works great for those who don't need to count calories like you said.

I see, so it boils down to how you feel/experiment/listen to your body/do what works for me within the guidelines of the diet but ultimately depends on what my goals are. Sweet, thanks a lot guys you're all very helpful!

I think some of it has to do with the speed you eat, too. If you're a fast eater, you're not gonna get that "full" signal until maybe you've had too much of the block of cheese, or 3/4 of that pack of bacon, or whatever you're eating. If you're a fast eater, eating so satiety might not be the best idea. Portion control and calorie counting might be better for you.

After having my first carb-up, which was somewhere between orgasmically tasty and disgustingly nauseous, my first workout sucked big time. As such terrible workouts really kill my motivation, I'm back to the TKD with some pre-workout carbs.
I'm wondering though, if one carb-up day a week would have positive effects or only slight negative effects. I'd really like to have a "cheat day" once a week...

A cheat day won't kill you, and shouldn't derail progress unless you binge.

After reading through all 127 pages in 1 day, I think this is the best post in the the entire thread.

So if looking to make gain in LBM, this refeeding process is necessary to do it optimally. I understand how you would do the process itself, but where do you fit it in? For example do you do the 48 hours once a week? Does it matter when in the week? Is during the refeed the time in which you should go for the gains (i.e. hard lifts or what have you), or does the refeeding process make the gains in LBM possible for a longer period of time than then 48 hours?

As others have said, thanks again for your wealth of information on the thread; looking forward to your email response.

The 48-hour process is usually done 2 out of every 7 days, and it's probably best to do it on rest days as the insulin activity could make you sleepy. Aside from that, there's no specific time. Activity during this time isn't advised because of the possible responses to insulin movement, as well as that the body is going to essentially use the carbohydrate intake to re-build, to recover from the week, refill muscle and liver glycogen, and build new muscle tissue.

I read every single page for the last few days and I must say this thread is AWESOME! Thanks Sinister and other regular posters for providing us with SO much useful information.
I am interested in following this diet too. I have never really strictly dieted, I just always watched what I ate. I have been eating very high carb low fat foods for months if not years (whole grain, whole wheat, skim/nonfat milk etc), and have kind of avoided high fatty foods. I was about 200lbs 6 months ago but through not eating as much and vigorous exercise I am now at about 165-169lbs and have been for about 2 months, with a BF% of about 12%. I want to get down a bit more; get leaner. This diet seems to be working for many people so I am willing to try it.
Today I went nuts and bought a ton of meats and cheese at the grocery store, bacon, pork, cheddar, mozarella, beef, steak, etc. Made myself an omelet this afternoon and a hamburger with cheese (just a pattie) this evening. After both meals I felt this greasy, slippery feeling in the back of my throat, is this normal? Like I said earlier, I have never really eaten high fat no carb meals. I cooked both meals with olive oil. Also, my workout today (lifts and cardio after) was terrible, had stitches/side pain in the left part of my stomach, but fought through it and continued the cardio (was kind of HIIT).
I guess my question is if its normal to feel greasy, slippery with these kinds of meals?

Hmm, I've not heard of the greasy thing. But if you're not very used to high fat foods and had been avioding them, it could happen.

Always remember there is an adaptation period to fooling with your macronutrients in any direction. So there will be fluctuations in performance and how you feel.

How often do you guys go without weightloss? Is it usual to lose weight and then go a week or so with no weight loss?

Yeah, plateauing is always a normality in any system of weight loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back