zart's log (strength/mma/bjj)

19/1:
Too tired yesterday so I decided to lift today instead.
Squats 5x5 100 kg
Front squats 3x6 67,5 kg
Good mornings 3x6 72,5 kg
Farmers' walk 3 sets w. 32,5 kg dumbells

Squats were slow and I did a good morning on almost every rep, but they were no big problem. Front squats felt great and so did farmers' walk. I'm having a hard time not bending my legs too much on the good mornings but I'll try to fix it. A couple of loud farts slipped out of my ass during squats :redface: Sometimes training hard sucks :D

Might continue squatting on mondays instead since I'm having a hard time falling asleep, especially when I work out late (BJJ ends at 10). If I train twice I'll probably fall asleep anyway. Won't lift next monday to find out if I have to train twice or not.

Back from BJJ now, felt great.

Since we only have one class the instructors spent a lot of time doing some really basic stuff, like how you move when you sit and technical standups. After that we practiced a guard pass which I've had trouble doing earlier, but with my added weight and strength it felt easier.

When everyone knew the guard pass we did king of the hill. One guy stands up and tries to pass the other guy's guard. I had a lot of success against everyone except my instructors. Went on to rolling and my first opponent was a big old judo guy. Pulled guard on him and managed to tap him a couple of times with armbars and also swept him from half guard.

Next opponent was also a big old judo guy (atleast I think he was, cause he pinned me and asked if the "match" was over). It started out with him passing my guard and pinning me. I can't remember what happened next but somehow I pulled guard on him and he managed to pass over one leg when I opened it up. Pulled deep half guard and swept him but ended up inside his guard. I opened it up and started to work the double under pass when he grabbed my collar and got a really deep choke. After that he felt like he was going to throw up so we took a break and practice ended.

Did some stretching afterwards and today was the first time I've managed to get my knees to the floor when I do the butterfly stretch. My flexibility has improved really fast since I started stretching every day.

+ good hip movement from closed guard.
+ half guard felt strong.
*edit* + guard passing, even managed to pass my instructor's (who's a blue belt, so it's not exactly a huge achievement) guard.

- have to protect my neck better.
- I don't react fast enough when my opponent starts passing my guard and stay flat on my back

21/1:
No BJJ, went to a birthday party instead.

22/1:
Deadlifts 5x5 127,5 kg
Hyperextensions 5x8 32,5 kg
BORs 5x5 65 kg

Haven't received the chalk yet, apparently the company I ordered it from had some problems with my credit card so I had to reorder it. My grip felt okay without chalk, probably because I wiped my hands after every rep. Gave up rack pulls because I can't keep my back arched while doing them. Tried to do some GHRs instead on some kind of situp bench, but that didn't work out too well. Have to find another exercise to do, I have no idea which though.

23/1:
Bench press 2x5 70 kg
OHP 5x5 40 kg (some hip drive on the last sets)
Decline situps 3x10 30 kg
Farmers' walk 3 sets w. 35 kg dumbbells

Dip rack was being used so I did bench press instead. My shoulders hurt while benching so I stopped after a couple of sets. OHP felt better than last times, probably cause I warmed up with squats :)

25/1:
Went to another birthday party and didn't have enough time to work out because the gym closed early. Squatted today instead.

26/1:
Squats 5x5 102,5 kg
Front squats 3x6 70 kg
Good mornings 3x6 75 kg

In six months I've turned from quad dominant to really glute dominant. Right now it feels like I'm almost only using my glutes while squatting (that probably explains why I squatted more in August than I do now). How should I solve this?

26/1:
BJJ
Practiced a couple of guard passes and escapes from side control. I got paired up with a really disgusting girl. She had a moustache and her legs were about as hairy as mine. Ugh. After that we did some positional sparring which went good (guard passing). Passed my instructors guard and after some scramble I managed to take his back. Been getting a couple of guard passes pretty much all the time lately. In the first one the opponent sits down, one leg lying on the ground and the other foot on the ground. If your opponent has his left leg lieing down you grab his left ankle with your left hand. After that you grab around his neck with your right hand then push your head into his chest. The other one is a double underhook pass.

+ guard passing
+ half guard sweeps and control
+ not staying flat on my back when my opponent is passing my guard which made it easy to escape

- giving up my back too easily
- my closed guard feels weak when I'm not allowed to do submissions from it. Gotta work my sweeps more.

28/1:
Felt tired and had a headache so I just relaxed at home.

29/1:
Deadlifts 4x5, 1x3 130 kg
Hyperextensions 5x8 35 kg
Pullups 4x6

Used my chalk for the first time today and felt a great difference. My pussy hands are no longer holding me back. Did some pullups instead of BORs because the olympic platform was being used but I stopped because of pain in my elbows. I think I have elbow tendonitis in both elbows. I've felt pain two tuesdays and wednesdays in a row now, dunno if it's from BJJ or squats. Because of the elbows I probably won't do any pressing tomorrow, only abs and grip.

30/1:
No workout.

1/2:
Squats 5x5 105 kg
Front squats 3x6 72,5 kg
Good mornings 3x6 77,5 kg
Decline situps 3x10 32,5 kg
Farmers' walk 3 sets w. 32,5 kg dumbbells

Squats felt really strong today, the only problem I have is that I never feel like my stance is even. All reps were ATG in the first sets, in the other sets I did some ATG and some pretty deep (but not ATG) squats.

My right knee has been feeling weak during the week and sometimes it hurts a little bit, it's probably because I have chondromalacia (but my knees haven't hurt since I started to squat). It hurts a little bit when I take a deep breath and fill my stomach with air, but not during the squats. Might be the front squats causing it.

Did abs today since I didn't train this Friday.

2/2:
BJJ
Practiced some guard passes and underhook escape from under side control. Had to rest for a while because of my elbows. After that we did some positional sparring, guard passing (which went great for me). Continued with free rolling which went pretty good. Mostly stayed on bottom and practiced my escapes, guard retention and sweeps. I have huge problems getting good grips from guard, probably because my elbows make my arms weaker. There's a new guy weighing a little bit less than me doing great. I thought he had practiced judo or something earlier but he told me he had been watching a lot of fighs (and probably instructionals too). His hip movement is really good and he goes for a lot of submission attemps. I have a feeling this guy will develop really fast :) One really disgusting girl and a boy have started in class. The girl has as hairy legs as I do and the boy looks like a real redneck and misses his upper front teeth, ugh.

I think I should try to go to butterfly guard more since I'm pretty short and stocky with strong legs and hips.

+ Half guard
+ Escapes

- Closed guard
- Giving up back too easily (but that's good to since I get to practice a lot of escapes)

4/2:
Had to rest my elbows so no BJJ :(

5/2:
Deadlifts 3x5, 1x4, 1x3 132,5 kg
BORs 5x5 67,5 kg
RDLs 3x6 100 kg
Hyperextensions 5x8 37,5 kg

Good deadlifts today except for the last two sets. My energy level dropped pretty fast and after the 4th set I felt like going home and sleep or something :) The rest of the exercises were no problem at all.

The order is supposed to be deadlifts, hyperextensions, BORs and then RDLs but apparently people love using the hyperextension bench.

6/2:
Dips 5x5 BW
OHP 5x5 30 kg
Decline situps 3x8 35 kg
Farmers' walk 3 sets w. 35 kg dumbbells
Russian twists 5x5 25 kg

Only some light pressing because of my elbows. First time doing russian twists, dunno if I got the technique right.

8/2:
Squats 3x5, 2x3 107,5 kg
Front squats 3x6 75 kg
Good mornings 3x6 80 kg supersetted with pullups 3x6
Russian twists 3x5 25 kg

Squats felt good technique wise and almost all reps were ATG. After the third set I felt like I had no strength left (just like deadlifts). On the front squats I'm leaning a little bit too far forward on some reps, I think it's because I want to use my glutes. Good mornings were good (but heavy :)). My grip felt a lot better during pullups and in the second set I felt like I could do some more reps if I'd have reset my grip. I think I got the technique for the twists now.

Haven't done any jits this week because of my elbows, but I think they're fine now.

12/2:
Deadlifts 3x5, 1x3
BORs 5x5 70 kg
Hyperextensions 4x8 40 kg
RDLs 3x6 102,5 kg

Tired as hell now, I could barely walk out of the gym. I've decided to do four sets of dls, squats and hyperextensions. If I do five sets of squats/dls it feels like I'm going to failure and five sets of hyperextensions makes me too tired (and I do RDLs after). Overall a good workout and I felt really strong.

Morning weight: about 77,5 kg.

13/2:
OHP 5x5 35 kg
Dips 5x7 BW
Russian twists 5x5 30 kg

Used pretty light weights for dips and OHPs to make sure my elbows wouldn't hurt.

14/2:
Tabata burpees 8x20 seconds. Heart rate around 185 BPM immediately after.

I'm having a birthday party so I won't have time to train, moving squats to monday.

16/2:
Squats 3x5, 1x3 110 kg
Front squats 3x6 77,5 kg
Good mornings 3x6 82,5 kg
+ Pullups 1x9, 1x8, 2x7 while doing front squats and good mornings

Had to struggle hard with the squats. They were HEAVY today. Everything else felt good, especially pullups. They've been feeling a lot better since I started to row.

16/2:
BJJ - 1,5 hour
Can't remember what we did, except for takedowns.

18/2:
BJJ - 2 hours
Practiced a couple of sweeps from open guard and scissor sweep. Also did some collar chokes from mount and guard. King of the hill from closed guard afterwards and I did good.

+ Not staying flat on my back
+ Using my hips a lot
+ Automaticly fishing for the underhook
+ Omoplatas when someone underhooks your arm when they're in closed guard works great (as taught by marcelo garcia)

- Elbows still hurt :(

19/2:
Decided to deload this week, felt like I needed it (and my elbows still hurt so no heavy pushing).
Deadlifts 3x5 90 kg
Sumo deadlifts 3x5 90 kg
BORs 5x10 50 kg
Hyperextensions 3x12 15 kg

20/2:
Bench 5x5 50 kg
OHP 5x5 30 kg
Decline situps 3x10 15 kg

22/2:
Box squats 5x3 90 kg
Bulgarian split squats 3x5 35 kg
Good mornings 3x6 50 kg

large_strongman-gallery-508-1.jpg

Maggie says keep up the good work!

Didn't train at all last week and this week I've turned in to a pussy. Hopefully that attitude is gone now :)

3/3:
Squats 5x1 115 kg
Good mornings 5x5 65 kg
Pullups 3x4

Pretty light workout just to get used to lifting weights again. Squats were a lot heavier than I thought they'd be. Probably because I hadn't trained heavy for a couple of weeks and because I stopped taking creatine.

4/3:
BJJ - 1,5 hour
Worked on a scissor sweep variation when your opponent posted on one leg and a omoplata when your opponent posts up and turns away. Rolled afterwards, went pretty good. My biggest concern right now is my closed guard, I never manage to sweep anyone from there and seldom get a submission. I'm working on it right now.

+ Half guard, 100% success rate :) I haven't got my half guard passed in a long time now.
+ Recovering guard and pass prevention
+ Passing guard
+ Positional escapes

- Closed guard

6/3:
Deadlifts 1x5 125 kg, 2x5 130 kg
OHP 5x5 35 kg
Bench press 5x5 60 kg
Pullups 3x5

Felt really tired yesterday so I did some deadlifts today instead. My elbows have recovered now which feels great.

Attending a seminar with a black belt on sunday, so I probably won't squat until monday.

Back