Zabit: I'm 2-3 fights away from a title shot (Conor vs Khabib, Yair Rodriguez)

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by shoorik1987, Apr 25, 2018.

1. shoorik1987 Blue Belt

shoorik1987
    [​IMG]

One of the oldest and most respected sports newspapers in Russia, Sport-Express released a new big interview with Zabit Magomedsharipov today.

Here we go...

– What did you do in America after your fight?

– I stayed to help my friends, 14th of April Muslim Salikhov had his fight and 21st of April Magomed Bibulatov was supposed to fight. I helped them because we always prepare together. I also went to Las Vegas and had my hand treated, I had a little injury. UFC payed for everything.

– You extended you UFC contract, how many fights is it for?

– For 4 fights, I can't say the number, but it contains many zeros!

– Are you happy with the money in the contract?

– Yes! To be honest I didn't expect this. It's a very pleasant number.

– Will your next fight be in Moscow?

– Yes, I want to fight in september in Moscow. Most likely, my opponent will be Yair Rodriguez, but we still haven't signed the contract.

– Why will he be the opponent?

– I just read the news and it's written there that it will be Yair and that we'll have a good fight. For me, to be honest, it doesn't matter if it's him or not. I want to fight someone from top 10 - top 15.

– Yo had 3 victories in a row. How many more do you need to get a title fight?

– The new contract already contains conditions that I have to fulfill to get a title fight and how much money I will get for it. If I beat a top contender, they will give me the title fight. I think I have 2-3 fights left untill that.

– Was the last fight one of the bloodiest in your career?

– The opponent was a tough guy, I've seen his fights and I knew that we would have a rough fight, I was prepared for it. If it was bloody? I took some hits in the end when there was 15-20 seconds left untill the end, but I had to endure it. I knew that I would get a decision easy, for three rounds I dominated the fight. But my opponent showed a lot of character, in some episodes I got to emotional.

– You have a very entertaining style with spinning kicks and such. Is that a play for the crowd?

– Our sport is very entertaining and technical in general. Of course I'm making an effort for the crowd, the fans loves those kind of kicks. Also the bonuses depend on that!

– Khabib is advising you to learn english to become a star in the UFC. How is that going?

– Yes, I'm learning it. But I always train with guys from Dagestan, so it's hard learn english, because you're always speaking your language. I once came to US alone, then I learned a lot, but then the guys came over and the progress stopped. You have to stay in US for longer periods if you want to learn to speak english.

– If Khabib vs McGregor fight were to happen, who do you have as favorite? Does McGregor stand a chance?

– To be honest, I don't think this fight will happen. Conor understands himself that he's got no chance, that's why it's pointless for him to fight. Maybe one day, when he spends all of his money.

– What if you were to fight McGregor? I understand that it's the wrong weight class, but it's only 4 kilograms of difference, you can always go up or down a little...

– I don't see anything special about McGregor. His boxing is really good, but his wrestling is very weak. I think that I'm a lot better then him when it comes to wrestling. Maybe one day this fight will be possible, but not at the moment.

– Can somebody in the world out-wrestle Khabib at the moment?

– I think not. As long as Khabib is in good shape, there's probably no one who can beat him in wrestling.

– Have you sparred with him?

– We have different teams. He trains with his team and I with my. Once I went to the mountains to train with his team, but Khabib was not there at the time, maybe he was injured or trained somewhere else at the time. I liked that training camp, their team got good practices, especially when it comes to strength and conditioning training.

– Khabib often says that he had to fight a lot on the streets as a kid. Do you have similar story?

– Yes of course, that happens to everybody. I studied a martial arts boarding school, everyone's got something to prove. (Link to my post about Zabit's martial arts boarding school) During the first year I was fighting almost every day. Then everyone became friends and got along better. I don't have THE fight that I remember especially, they all were alike.

– What did you do for a living before fighting?

– I've always made a living by fighting, that's my job. I am in combat sports since I was a child, I fight for my parents, the fans and for my self of course.

– Is there anyone in the world who kicks better then you?

– When it comes to the feet, we have a similar style with Yair Rodriguez, that's why everyone thinks that it will be a good fight. He got good kicks, he kicks hard and he also kick spinning kicks....

– Who is stronger Chuck Norris or Bruce Lee?

– Bruce Lee

– What is the most beautiful place in Dagestan?

– Khasavyurt, where I was born.

– Do you still watch football (soccer)?

– Yes, I support Anzhi (Anzhi Makhachkala, local Dagestan club that plays in Russian Premier League). Anzhi is the champion! I started training football as my first sport, I still enjoy to play. When I have time I watch the games on TV.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  2. TCanaveira Purple Belt

TCanaveira
  3. shoorik1987 Blue Belt

shoorik1987
    Guess you posted before reading the interview. I forget that people on Sherdog only read the title. :D

4. MMA MASTER White Belt

MMA MASTER
    Zabit future GOAT

5. BigMuffler Pride of Ashlianna

BigMuffler
    I guess maybe if he beats a top 15, then a top 10, then a top 5 in his next 3 okay, but the guy hasn't beaten anyone yet...

6. shoorik1987 Blue Belt

shoorik1987
    He claims he has it in his contract, but I am guessing that it says something like "beating someone in top 5", but then he might never get that chance. I think it's you also have to assume that he has to win his next three fights.

7. Amst3rdam Blue Belt

Amst3rdam
    artem bless

Clippy likes this.
  8. Sage NorthGOAT The OG Double Champ

Sage NorthGOAT
    They already have him ranked 13. 2-3 fights, probably 2-3 bonuses along the way too. Seems reasonable to expect a TS if he keeps winning imo

9. ChucksGlassJaw Proud Casual

ChucksGlassJaw
    [​IMG]

10. puppybird the wasteland champ

puppybird
  11. The ScorpioN "GET OVER HERE!"

The ScorpioN
    I've said it before, but I'd like to see his wrestling tested vs Mendes. If not Mendes then just feed him Emmett, for an easy top win.

Also nice to see a fighter not bitching about pay, but being happy with the contract. An actual world beater fought for 18k/18k and got an apparently good deal, while a can is suing the UFC for paying her 62k to duck a fight vs a 120 pound girl.

UFC needs more Caucus fighters and less entitled trash.

12. PeterGriffin Black Belt

PeterGriffin
    He's also 2-3 sandwiches away from 155.

Mixedfights, HHJ, Devilton and 4 others like this.
  13. shoorik1987 Blue Belt

shoorik1987
    Khabib got his first title shot promises\plans after 6-7 wins in UFC, but the injuries and missed weight and that lead to those 4 extra fights before the eventual title shot. I agree, it sound reasonable. Zabit is a lot more flashy and entertaining to watch then Khabib to IMHO.

14. shoorik1987 Blue Belt

shoorik1987
    :D All 145s are

15. shoorik1987 Blue Belt

shoorik1987
    Isn't he at Cage Rampage or some organization like that nowadays :D?

HHJ and Amst3rdam like this.
  16. IngaVovchanchyn Steel Belt

IngaVovchanchyn
    Making that Zabit money. "It's a very pleasant number."

17. Sage NorthGOAT The OG Double Champ

Sage NorthGOAT
    I was replying to the dude laughing, but didnt quote him

<Fedor23>

18. Death By Samson Red Belt

Death By Samson
    Zabit vs Yair sounds awesome. I really hope that they make that fight.

19. Bogeyman Yellow Card

Bogeyman
    Rodriguez, then Lamas/Edgar/Stephens, then title shot. He shouldn't even need three.

frandie2b likes this.
  20. Dark Individual Darkness is my friend

Dark Individual
    He most definitely seems championship material. I think his conditioning is the only thing that may hinder his success since he is too big for his weight class.

kammfreudenstei likes this.