Yushin Okami returns to WW for his next UFC fight

So when your grappling a larger opponent you pull guard and just let him smash you? Lmao. Ok bud. Hope that works out for you.

I already explaned which was his game plan. Not rocket science by the way.
You keep saying that's was the worst choice.
So what would have worked for Yushin? To exchange blows with OSP? To clinch with OSP and take him down? It would not only fail, but he actually would end in a worse position being hurt in the process.

What Okami tried is what many BJJ guys used to try in fights, especially back in the day when there were more BJJ guys with zero weapons standing or the huge sizegaps were more common. So it's not that rare. Im starting to doubt about you having such a rich BJJ background, honestly.

Yushin fighting again at Welterweight again is very stupid of his camp. He cuts way too much weight.

Yushin is 36 years old 6'2 and weighed 203.5 a few days ago and he's gonna make 170 for his next fight?

Take notes Gastelum and Hendricks.

If he had put on a semi decent performance this would make sense. Lol

The guy basically showed up for a paycheck.

That was the whole point and what him and the UFC wanted.

The fight was saved and the fans got an exciting finish with the UFC keeping the main event for the card with Okami getting paid and getting a shot in the the division he belongs in and OSP getting another highlight reel finish and setting up a rematch with Ozedimir or fighting another serious contender.

Everyone won.

Yushin fighting again at Welterweight again is very stupid of his camp. He cuts way too much weight.

He walks around below 195lbs when he diet and dont put mass on the gym.
He has cut to 170 for a DEEP or Pancrase payday and never missed weight so I doubt it's so hard for him.
Okami's size has always been so overstated, the guy has pretty lanky legs and tiny waist. He is basically pretty tiny overall except for his head and shoulders.

Rich BJJ background? I'm a blue belt under Caio Terra and did no gi with Yuri Simoes. I wouldn't call a blue belt a rich BJJ background. I know enough to know you don't pull guard against larger opponents, they will just smash you and it won't be any fun, OK? Ok buddy? You shouldnt allow a bigger opponent on top of you go back and watch the Okami/ OSP fight lol. You're making arguments that if Yushin tried to punch he would have been KO'd immediately or his hands would have broken on impact. Why is he taking MMA fights if punching and effective grappling is not a realistic gameplan? I'm arguing with an Okami nut hugger who thinks he just fought like a samurai. Lol.

First of all, he tried to grab the single. Okami is not really great at shooting so obviously it was negated.
But you still dont understand that to get the sweep on OSP was Okami's best chance to get top position, and further, to win the fight.

You didn't train sweeps in your way to the blue belt? Do you know Okami got sweeps on big, good graplers as Marquardt and Sonnen, and has big confidene on that skill of him. He actually won his fight with Belcher with it because he was failing in his clinch TD attempts...imagine how much succes would have with them against OSP

Okami deserves respect for taking this fight, if you think he deserves hate and laughs, it's ok

First of all, he tried to grab the single. Okami is not really great at shooting so obviously it was negated.
But you still dont understand that to get the sweep on OSP was Okami's best chance to get top position, and further, to win the fight.

You didn't train sweeps in your way to the blue belt? Do you know Okami got sweeps on big, good graplers as Marquardt and Sonnen, and has big confidene on that skill of him. He actually won his fight with Belcher with it because he was failing in his clinch TD attempts...imagine how much succes would have with them against OSP

Okami deserves respect for taking this fight, if you think he deserves hate and laughs, it's ok
I was pissed when I first heard they brought back Okami because he's the most boring fighter I can think of. Then I realized it was a short notice fight in Japan so it all made sense. I don't think Okami deserves hate, I don't think he deserves to be called a samurai either. I chose the name Lord Toranaga after my favorite fictional samurai. My favorite real samurai is Miyamoto Musashi. I take the word "samurai" seriously. You, apparently, do not.

Glad he is getting a second fight from this. How he makes welterweight I don't know. But yeah I'll be interested to see who he fights.

@Lord Toranaga He was just trying to work his gameplan of pulling guard so he could “elevate” a guy with 20+ lbs on him to utilize his Maia level ground game! And he was simply trying to bait him into the von flue choke. All part of the gameplan.. Fucking idiots.

Is that what you saw? A samurai warrior? I saw a guy who didn't do any home work and allowed OSP to get his 3rd Von Flue choke in like one minute. But yeah, let's all get pumped and excited for motherfucking Yushin Okami. Gee I can't wait to watch him fight again he used to be one of the most exciting fighters on the roster. Wow I just can't wait.
he was never exciting. he was top ranked MW, with good wins under his belt. You just sound like your bashing Yushin Okami just to do it.

I was pissed when I first heard they brought back Okami because he's the most boring fighter I can think of. Then I realized it was a short notice fight in Japan so it all made sense. I don't think Okami deserves hate, I don't think he deserves to be called a samurai either. I chose the name Lord Toranaga after my favorite fictional samurai. My favorite real samurai is Miyamoto Musashi. I take the word "samurai" seriously. You, apparently, do not.

Yeah, I dont take the word "Samurai" so seriously in s.XXI

I will tell you that Yushin has undoubtedly more courage than most guys you will ever meet, let alone in this boards lol.
The guy traveled to Saint Petersburg to fight Amar Suloev (who was coming of a battle with Chuck Liddel) in his first year as a pro at 21 years old. Now, at 36, has taken on an skilled 220lbs freak athlete on 6 days notice.

Only OSP, and maybe Jacare and Anderson, has had a somehow easy night with this guy in 15 years at the top of this sport.

I dont know about Miyamoto Musashi (and how much of myth there is on that) but im pretty sure that such Miyamoto guy would have high respect for Okami.

Good he gets another fight he should have never fought at 205 last minute

@Lord Toranaga He was just trying to work his gameplan of pulling guard so he could “elevate” a guy with 20+ lbs on him to utilize his Maia level ground game! And he was simply trying to bait him into the von flue choke. All part of the gameplan.. Fucking idiots.

He tried for the single moron, it was negated as expected.
He then tried the sweep, a move that he is very good at
And...yeah, thats was his game plan, despite unsuccesful, fucking idiot

Unless your name is Demian Maia, that is not a gameplan.

lol what a dumbass

lol what a dumbass

A guy with 3,300+ posts in a year, who pretends to be from Stockton, who delivers the most useless posts in this thread, who insults unkowns from his keyboard,
You are a smart one.

Bloody hell, I don't know what I think of Okami after this.

Option A - He's a fucking warrior who has a 'anyone, anywhere, any weight' attitude and jumped at the chance to get back to the big leagues by fighting a guy 2 x weight-classes above where he was fighting at that time:

Option B - Similar to the above, except with 'throwing the fight to avoid taking damage but it backfired'.

I'm leaning towards the latter. He's always been known as a very cerebral and calculated fighter, yet goes into that fight against a man known for a Von Flue, and makes a mistake he's NEVER made before?

Hmmm.

A guy with 3,300+ posts in a year, who pretends to be from Stockton, who delivers the most useless posts in this thread, who insults unkowns from his keyboard,
You are a smart one.
<DCrying>
Some hard hitting stuff right there.

Back