Yushin Okami: "I have zero problems with the weightcut at 170"

lmao at had t gain weight for middle weight my ass im a 170 walking around at 198 to 202 and yushin is 15 pounds larger than me lol

So he must have gave zero fucks and ate everything in sight to get to 205 and yet he was still relatively lean and passed for a legit LHW.

Regarding his weight, he got on a scale for OSP and it read 203.5 lbs and he certainly didn't have a belly. He makes a cartoonish water cut to have a scale read 170lbs. Certainly dangerous, but he knows what he's gotten himself into.

You make it sound as if Okami had to lie about the matter. There it is his record. You can see in his prime at 185 that guy works the weightroom and the beef a lot.. He was a welter before got in the UFC, even in his early years in ufc was walking around 190lbs.
Okami started to bulk after his loss to Franklin (a decade ago were already MWs with decent size advantage on Okami, and Franklin is almost average by today standards)

Now at 36 years old under USADA, Yushin has hit clean the 170 weight limit for the 6th time in a row, he has done it even for a Pancrase or Deep payday in Japan (an athlete with his name doesnt need to kill himself with a weight cut in front of that money and level of competition); has never missed weight in his career, nor popped for anything; and has looked in phenomenal condition ithrough all his run at 170.
Check the facts, folks, instead of working the sherdogger logic of how he looks or how much belly he has

Okami was an average 185lber in terms of weight, below average by today standards.Sonnen had already sayd it before, and now you hear it from Okami because he was asked, and finally there was a professional (pretty good actually) translator in the room

he fought my friend alan 2 times alan is a massive 185 walks around 235 out of camp yushin was a decent sized 185 as well yes he gained some muscle while at 185 but hes trying to make it as though hes walking around under 185 which is super funny

Your friend Alan was clearly a naturally bigger guy than him, just look at that legs; he actually stopped most Okami's takedowns. It was in the ground where Okami schooled him.
Look at Boetsch, Branch, Franklin, Muñoz or Sonnen to name some of Okami competition. Look at Rockolg, Romero, Shoeface....what when massive becomes pretty much the average.

Okami, these days, could be walking around at 190lbs. It's a big weightcut but just like many other profesional athletes.

Last edited:
I'd always like okami and i'm glad he's back in the UFC. Even thought people don't like his style much, i do enjoy him fighting and representing the asians.

He would dwarf the ever living fuck out of woodley.

Would be fun to see if woodleys wrestling still held up given the massive size disadvantage

Woodley is not very tall for WW, but he is built like a tank. It would be interesting to see how Woodley's strength and wrestling would fare against Okami's strength and wrestling, but this fight is most likely not happening. Okami's path to a title shot will not be given an equal chance, just like Maia's path, because the UFC are biased and they prefer certain type of fighters over others.

Woodley is not very tall for WW, but he is built like a tank. It would be interesting to see how Woodley's strength and wrestling would fare against Okami's strength and wrestling, but this fight is most likely not happening. Okami's path to a title shot will not be given an equal chance, just like Maia's path, because the UFC are biased and they prefer certain type of fighters over others.

Okami can't outwrestle Woodley. TWood's tdd is as good as anyone ever at 170. Woodley is a good sized 170lbr and has fought former solid MWs as Lawler, Marquardt or Maia. The size diference may be similar to Marquardt and Okami when they fought, not that much.

It could be interesting to see if Okami can pick apart Woodley though, using his range along with his top-notch clinch work; to neutralize Woodley's offense, just like Okami has always won his big fights against wrestlers as Marquardt, Munoz. Tanner or Bradley. No way Okami outwrestle Woodley in any way, it could be the other way around actually.

Last edited:
Yushin's a beast, he's only lost to the best of the best. Hope he does well.

Okami can't outwrestle Woodley. TWood's tdd is as good as anyone ever at 170. Woodley is a good sized 170lbr and has fought former solid MWs as Lawler, Marquardt or Maia. The size diference may be similar to Marquardt and Okami when they fought, not that much.

It could be interesting to see if Okami can pick apart Woodley though, using his range along with his top-notch clinch work; to neutralize Woodley's offense, just like Okami has always won his big fights against wrestlers as Marquardt, Munoz. Tanner or Bradley. No way Okami outwrestle Woodley in any way, it could be the other way around actually.
I actually remember watching Okami out grapple a pre-USADA prime Hector Lombard, I wouldn’t sleep on Okami’s ground game it’s his chin that seems like it’s made of China that worries me.

haha Gall and Perry don't belong in the same ligue as Okami. Gunnar Nelson is another story, that would indeed be interesting.
Haha, yeah that is the most ridiculiys comparison ever. One guy has beat double the amount of UFC champs that Mighty Mouse has and has wins over Anderson 'the GOAT' Silva, Nick 'the goat' Thompson, Alan Belcher, Nate Marquardt, Hector Lombard, Evan Tanner, Sakurai and the other guy was coached and trained by his tennis playing girlfriend and got murked the fuck up by Max "<FookIsThatGuy>" Griffin and clowned on and abused by a male model.

I actually remember watching Okami out grapple a pre-USADA prime Hector Lombard, I wouldn’t sleep on Okami’s ground game it’s his chin that seems like it’s made of China that worries me.

Certainly a solid overall grappler, can hang with anyone. But Woodley is a better fighter than Lombard all around, not as easy to pick apart and set up the takedown with it, not pass his guard once in the ground.

What set Okami apart is his versatilty in my opinion. He is capable of winning fights at the highest level in the feet as well. Yushin didn't have his way outgrappling Marquard, Munoz, Sonnen, Bradley or Fitch. I doubt it would be different with Woodley.

Back