Yuriorkis Gamboa Training

uppercuts21

Brown Belt
Reaction score
If you dont know who Gamboa is, hes a 2004 Olympic gold medalist from Cuba. He turned pro last year and is currently undefeated. Hes a great prospect with fantastic speed. But here he is training. I thought this was a great training video.

YouTube - Gamboa Technical Training

Yeah what I found amazing is his ability to just throw 3-4 jabs so quickly. It looks as though hes not even trying and yet hes throwing with blinding speed.

I really like Gamboa but I think hes still a bit raw. A guy like Linares would wipe the floor with him at this point.

But in a couple of years with Gamboas athletic gifts and more experience he will be one of the best fighters P4P in boxing.

I really like Gamboa but I think hes still a bit raw. A guy like Linares would wipe the floor with him at this point.

But in a couple of years with Gamboas athletic gifts and more experience he will be one of the best fighters P4P in boxing.

Yeah. His speed is incredible but I see a lot of technical flaws. I don't think he hits that hard either, its his speed that gets people.

There's also a sparring vid there, did you see it?

Yeah. His speed is incredible but I see a lot of technical flaws. I don't think he hits that hard either, its his speed that gets people.

i agree but how many guys are refined/tech/disciplined enough to deal w/his TREMENDOUS adv in speed, timing and explosiveness....

jones jr judah have had similar things said about them; but their phys adv have allowed them to make up for them, not saying he should tune up his tech. But even the top guys are gonna have problems w/a guy who is that dynamic..

Yeah I agree,

Even in the fight with Jimenez he got hit cleanly quite a bit and was even dropped. Jimenez is a quality opponent but has nowhere near the physical attributes an elite boxer would have and yet he still managed to knockdown Gamboa.

Gamboa has some technical flaws in his defense but I think he will be able to correct that as he matures.

Gamboa has probably the best physical attributes ive seen in awhile. And I think he some pop behind his punch as well. But I agree, with speed like that its most likely not his power thats dropping guys but rather the punches that his opponents dont see coming.

he is training for olympics in that vid?

i mean the speed is evidently apparent but only because those are feet planted punches that dont havc epower

he is training for olympics in that vid?

i mean the speed is evidently apparent but only because those are feet planted punches that dont havc epower

No, I believe that clip if fairly recent. I just mentioned that he was a former Olympian for those who may not be familiar with who he is.

Kid is gifted. He's need to work with his defense and power punching but that speed is going to be crazy to deal with. Give him time to mature and your looking at a future champion.

I hope he matures fast too. Cubans need a professional boxing champion.

Kid is gifted. He's need to work with his defense and power punching but that speed is going to be crazy to deal with. Give him time to mature and your looking at a future champion.

I hope he matures fast too. Cubans need a professional boxing champion.

oh he has power, especially in his last fight

oh he has power, especially in his last fight

he has some; but that was based off his speed, that body shot was pinpoint and froze seeger and then that hook caught him totally unaware, it came out of seegers line of sight, and caught him PERFECTLY.

ALOT OF THAT WAS SPEED

He's 27 years old and have hundreds of Amateur Fights. Don't look for his style to change much.

I believe this is a mitt sessions that is focused on speed and technique. I dont see a lot of power in that vid unlike in his matches

Back