Yulin dog meat festival in China

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
Chinese society.
You can call it bias , but I am basing my opinion on how Chinese society views animals and people in general. Cultures are different, calling it shaming is just an attempt to to guilt trip people. The Chinese have no problem in expressing their ethnocentric views of others.
I can use your explanation for just about any other non First World Countries as to why they are no different than China. "an attempt to guilt trip people"? You pretty much said Chinese People are less than Human. Why is it only in the West, it's OK to shame certain groups, but some groups are "untouchable" it's actually frowned upon and they can lose their job, even their life?

There are multiple sources that confirm this...

I only needed to listen to Anna say the first few sentences, to see the problem. It has more to do with the Chinese system than anything. In China if you hit a person and injure them, you have to compensate them for life, but if you kill them it's a one time fee.:cool:

I only needed to listen to Anna say the first few sentences, to see the problem. It has more to do with the Chinese system than anything. In China if you hit a person and injure them, you have to compensate them for life, but if you kill them it's a one time fee.:cool:

Okay. And so in their position, are saying you would intentionally kill the person you hit then?

Regardless, if they value human life, they recognize an ongoing problem and should change that system...

Never seen chickens being squashed together like that within metal meshing (here in the US).

Many of our chicken farms do leave a lot to be desired , regarding space, but are they actually worse than chicken farms in China?

We have issues but we are still far ahead of China. And I am not expecting rural China to show the same kind of animal compassion as the US, due to lower standard of living, but such large festivals and urban / middle class Chinese aren't in dire situations such that mistreatment of animals can be somewhat understood. It just seems to me the Chinese in general are indifferent to animal suffering, or even general human suffering.

maxresdefault.jpg

It must be some psychological defense mechanism to think that factory farming in the U.S. somehow isn't on par with this dog bbq.

Certain people love to think their shit doesn't stink..

Okay. And so in their position, are saying you would intentionally kill the person you hit then?

Regardless, if they value human life, they recognize an ongoing problem and should change that system...
I bet if that same rule or law apply in America, there would be a lot more dead pedestrians in car accidents, is all I'm saying.<45>

I bet if that same rule or law apply in America, there would be a lot more dead pedestrians in car accidents, is all I'm saying.<45>

Could be. Thankfully we have concepts like auto insurance that cover this type of liability, so that lives are not completely ruined.

Yeah, and fuck those people. Domesticated dogs are clearly designed for work, companionship, and to otherwise assist humans. We provide food, shelter, and companionship to them in return. This practice has been going on for thousands of years.
I don't care what logical loophole one can't point out, in regards to how factory-raised animals are treated in the West; skinning domesticated dogs alive, beating them, gutting them, etc is a subhuman act.
So in your view the value of an animals life is in direct relation to how that animal lives to serve humans

Dogs do deserve a special place w us. That said, it's possible to find that picture hilarious.

I don't like it.. Wouldn't partake.. Not my country.

It must be some psychological defense mechanism to think that factory farming in the U.S. somehow isn't on par with this dog bbq.

Certain people love to think their shit doesn't stink..
America is a great Country don't get me wrong, but they are such snobs, they'll even give the British and French a run for their money.

I like your posts. Are you vegan too? It's crazy that I used to call myself an animal lover while spending money on their meat. All these animals went through torment to end up on someone's plate. Sad thing is people mainly do it to satisfy their taste buds. Most Americans don't even look at green vegetables when they visit their local supermarkets. I love the hypocrisy in these overweight burger eating westerners protesting a dog meat festival. All of it is cruel.

Thanks.

I eat meat. I think factory farming is horrific though.

I eat free range as much as possible.

You could say I have a real politik pov on meat. That it may not be moral, but it is the natural order as things stand today, for good or bad.

I can use your explanation for just about any other non First World Countries as to why they are no different than China. "an attempt to guilt trip people"? You pretty much said Chinese People are less than Human. Why is it only in the West, it's OK to shame certain groups, but some groups are "untouchable" it's actually frowned upon and they can lose their job, even their life?

Not all of China is 3rd world, lots of areas are part of the industrialized developed world. Yet as a society they still act without much compassion or empathy, no differen to the rich Arab states.

The MidEast , parts of South and East Asia are totally unapologetc about their racism, ethnocentrism and natinalism but when it is brought up , their defenders cry foul. If people can bring up Western imperialism then why can't people admit to nationalism and lack of compassion in other dominant culture. Is it only the West tht is supposed to be the recipient of criticism.

China is the major culprit when it comes to threats to endangered species and shark finning, so yes they should absolutely get shamed for it. India has almost as big a population and much more severe poverty but they aren't driving the illicit trade in endangered species . Hong Kong despite being rich and 1st world is a major market for endangered specieis body parts .

I think it is partly due to Confusianism : I believe Confusious wondered by a person who would understandbly show kindness/compassion to a family member or friend would treat a stranger the exact same way; the implication being there is no reasn to show compassion or kindness to strangers.

Not all of China is 3rd world, lots of areas are part of the industrialized developed world. Yet as a society they still act without much compassion or empathy, no differen to the rich Arab states.

The MidEast , parts of South and East Asia are totally unapologetc about their racism, ethnocentrism and natinalism but when it is brought up , their defenders cry foul. If people can bring up Western imperialism then why can't people admit to nationalism and lack of compassion in other dominant culture. Is it only the West tht is supposed to be the recipient of criticism.

China is the major culprit when it comes to threats to endangered species and shark finning, so yes they should absolutely get shamed for it. India has almost as big a population and much more severe poverty but they aren't driving the illicit trade in endangered species . Hong Kong despite being rich and 1st world is a major market for endangered specieis body parts .

I think it is partly due to Confusianism : I believe Confusious wondered by a person who would understandbly show kindness/compassion to a family member or friend would treat a stranger the exact same way; the implication being there is no reasn to show compassion or kindness to strangers.

I think it is because of Mao. The guy had temples destroyed and pretty much everything tied to ancient tradition. Look up great leap forward and cultural revolution. As a result the nation we see now is one without a moral compass. You're right about India. Hinduism is a big religion there and about 40% of the people are vegetarian.

Most of China is not 1st world, probably hong kong and maybe Macau. China has over a billion people, and actually smaller than USA, in terms of land space, and has less opportunities and still way poorer in gdp and quality of life overall than America. That plays a huge role to the life for humans and animals there. This is an old case of pot calling the kettle black. I don't like these scenarios because it usually doesn't go anywhere. Americans mostly won't admit to Western imperialism much less selective racism in America. I will admit and acknowledge to what Asians need to work on, but most Americans won't admit to anything especially when it comes to Asians. Who criticizes the West here? the West criticizes everyone and everything, after all they are the leaders of the free World. The land of opportunities and all that crap. America should be set on a higher standard because of that,They are suppose to be better than everyone, yet they still have tons of issues they will never admit to.
Second you're comparing a 1st World Country to a 2nd World. That's not a fair assessment at all. I'm not denying anything from the Chinese. When I point out what's wrong with America, most Americans dont want to hear it, or flat out deny it. I'm pointing out everyone has their issues no matter how rich or poor the Country is. There's a huge difference here. The Chinese can't compete with Americans, when in fact they are below Americans in pretty much all aspects of life there. America should get shamed for selective racism, the privilege system, and huge corruption in politics, education, military, food and drug association and the media especially for being the leaders of the free World. But do they? Nope, it's non existent.Do you see where I'm going with this? You were saying the Chinese are less than Human, do you want me to agree with you on that? cuz it sounds pretty racist to me. Americans will never admit to their lack of compassion for certain groups in America. First you were trying to deny your statement, and now you're trying to divert the attention on " the defenders" of these nations for denying the truth? these are symptoms of a person living in denial. I just gave you a rational reason as to why China can't or shouldn't be compared to America. I'm not the one giving the runaround, you are.

Ok. Let me know when they have an extensive history of assisting humans in hunts, leading the blind, serving in combat, herding livestock, defending your home/family, providing comfort for people with PTSD/anxiety, and general companionship. And I'm not advocating for poor treatment of swine, or any other animal. I'm simply stating that people torture dogs, disgust me.

If you are disgusted at people torturing and eating dogs, then you should be more disgusted at people torturing and eating pigs. Pigs are smarter than both chimpanzees and dogs. There is a correlation between intelligence and pain awareness. The more intelligent an animal is the more it is aware of its suffering. A low iq fish is gonna suffer less than a dog, and a dog is going to suffer less than a pig and a pig less than a human. Pigs may not have assisted humans in the way that dogs did, but lets not try and down play their usefulness for humans (livestock). Both dogs and swine were equally important for humans. i would argue swine more so because its what people ate to survive. Many societies and civilisations wouldn't be here without pigs. There are other factor apart from uselfulness to humans that one should take into account when deciding if a certain animal is deserving of empathy. In this case i believe it is intelligence. and on that scale pigs out rank dogs

" More and more, people are waking up to the fact that pigs are highly intelligent. These lovable animals are one of only a few species that can recognize themselves in a mirror. Themirror recognition test measures how self-aware an animal can be. Typically, this test is done by letting an animal look at the mirror. You then put a red dot or some other marker on the animal’s face that was not there before. If they try to remove the dot after looking in the mirror, you can be sure they know it is them looking back from that devilishly handsome reflection. Human children don’t pass this test until around age two! Dogs and cats have yet to pass the test.

Researchers at the University of Cambridge found that not only do pigs recognize themselves, but they also show an understanding of how mirrors work, and can use the reflections to find food."

http://www.onegreenplanet.org/animalsandnature/farm-animals-that-are-probably-smarter-than-your-dog/

Last edited:
Yes they are skinned alive and allowed to stay in that condition (without skin) for some time as the Chinese believe fear makes the meat sweeter. The more fear the animal is exposed to prior to death the better. It's another reason they are packed that way and typically they will be slaughtered infront of each other to induce even more fear.

I'm all for animals for meat but they are still a life and deserve our respect up until their soul leaves their body. Killing an animal in this way is barbaric.

Another thing about these dogs is that a large number of them were once someone pet who was stolen from the owner as pure breeds fetch more money.
If this is true, I would have no problem wiping those people off the face of the earth. I cant believe that someone could do that to an animal.

And those sick fuckers are hosting the 2019 World Dog Show. Such a fucking joke.

Back