Your worst opponents... in the ring or out of the ring?

Replay19

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
Most people may say that opponents in the ring with all the pressure and vibes against someone of your weight class in your weight division and skill is up against you, most will say that this is your more difficult opponent. However, some fighters have said that they have experienced more difficult opponents outside of the ring, whether sparring light or hard, some opponents said that sometimes sparring people from outside of the ring was actually more difficult than an opponent at your weight class and skill level in the ring. I'm all for tournaments and I'm not against it, but every fighter is different. Does it mean some fighters experience better fighters sometimes outside the ring instead of for the title shot?

For top level pros, I have no idea what they go through

but as an ammy, most of my partners happen to be significantly higher skilled than me, of course in my head due to fear of the unknown I'm subconsciously building my opponent up as this top dog, boogie man when I end up having bad days at the gym. What I end up not realizing is, my team is filled with guys much better than my opponent is, and only at the end of the night do I realize the sessions were harder than on fight night.

Also, at times I'm not 100% fresh going into sparring sessions, trying to squeeze everything in, I do my conditioning in the mornings, sometimes if I really get into it and try to bust PRs, I still feel it a bit at night. Those nights up end up feeling much harder for me. Doesn't happen often, but it does.

Last edited:
You see a training partners full potential in the gym. It doesn’t always show in fights. Not to mention they know your style. All my hardest fights and most damage is taken in the gym by far

I'm not a defending champion so I don't know if I can answer your question. lol

The biggest enemy of the fighter in and out of the ring and the mental factor. This is why a metal preparation should be part of the fighter's preparation.

While I'm sure it'll get some laughs because its a movie:

I agree with Rocky wholeheartedly.

Does it mean some fighters experience better fighters sometimes outside the ring instead of for the title shot?

If you're the most talented/skillful boxer at your gym, then you either need to find better sparring partners or a new gym. If someone is genuinely better than all of those around him, they are not going to be challenged enough unless the coach is competent.

I think that applies to most things to be honest. If you've peaked where you at you need to find a new challenge asap to progress

Back