Your unorthodox strikes

ScottAM

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Whats in your arsenal thats unique. I have something with my jabbing hand where I throw it a little to the outside and then bring it back for an almost upside down backfist kind of thing. Not too much power but it lands a lot and sets up power punches.

The vertical punch, lining your knuckles vertically, tears through a standard defense and gets you right on the nose. Not much power but the surprise effect is there.

I am ambidextrous so I have a lot of power in both my legs. However, the leg I am most comfortable striking with (low kicks) is the leg I lead with (I am a southpaw). I am lucky enough that I can do what they call a “Brazilian kick” (snapping your leg quickly as you kick) with my leading leg. This throws my opponent off because they are obviously expecting my kicks to come from my power side. I don’t ever do this at the beginning of a fight however because we all know I am open for an easy power shot and my balance will be off. However after I have worked my opponent for a while and he is tired and I know hurt. I will toss those kicks in. Nothing better then confusing an already tired and hurt opponent. They will begin to start expecting them leaving them open for three options. A) Fake Kick then Strike with my left hand. B) Power kick using my left leg C) Low kick using my left leg. I have had 15 amateur fights here in Ontario and luckily have won them all. 10 of my victories I can attribute to these kicks or being ambidextrous in general (being able to drop power kick and punches from the left or right side).

i also developed my southpaw stance and when I am southpaw, i have lots of tricks. I like to use rear leg push kick then land it forward so my stance automatically swithches. then that kicking foot just became my lead leg and I throw another push kick with that same leg or a roundhouse. not much ppl expect a kick doubling up from different stances. you just hit them with a rear leg kick and then a lead leg kick from the same side.

Titan416 said:
I am ambidextrous so I have a lot of power in both my legs. However, the leg I am most comfortable striking with (low kicks) is the leg I lead with (I am a southpaw). I am lucky enough that I can do what they call a

Left hook leading to a right back spinning roundhouse. Great for winding people, and as you follow through with the left hook, the right roundhouse is not expected.

The face to fist technique where I accumulate bone bruises and sometimes knuckle fractures on my opponents hand by hitting it with my nose, jaw and temple throughout the course of a fight.

CowboyPete said:
The face to fist technique where I accumulate bone bruises and sometimes knuckle fractures on my opponents hand by hitting it with my nose, jaw and temple throughout the course of a fight.

ala Wimp-lo?
hahahaaha

on a serious note...
I like to start with a round-kick..if my opponent does tha standard bloack, i bring it in a turn it to a teep, either to the stomach or, sometimes, to the inside of the opponent blocking leg. Sets it up nicely for a round house (left).

I'm able to use side kicks really well, i have a knack for finding peoples ribs with em

Hey Titan416, where are you fighting out of in Ontario? I'm boxing out of Motorcity Boxing in Oshawa. What MA do you practice?

CowboyPete said:

You should try my shin to knee or elbow technique. It's an ancient form that only few master that lets one accumalate hematoma's and lacerations on one's shin by repeatedly kicking the opponents knee and elbow.

I wouldn't say that it's particularly unorthodox, but I do a looping hook that starts out as a straight jab then stops abruptly and swerves in a tight swing. Kind of hard to explain, but it's like a fake jab to tight hook.

anchor punch is somthing i use that you dont see to much. IT allows you to hit someone with the same force of a punch moving forward when your retreating. Muhammed Ali was a master of this punch.

Cobra strike....kinnda like a flying knee that u fake and u punch in mid air...its cool.

Also somone posted it on a thread i made a few months ago named "lets talk muay thai combos" if u can still find it. Somone was in a semenar with shogun. And he posted about a kick that he did vs rampage. Bascailly its a lead leg inside thigh kick...and u use the momentum to jump up and land a rear leg round house to the head in mid air...very cool

One kick i have been thinking about is when checking a kick, you switch over and sidekick him.
Not really a power move, but sometimes seems to stun the opponent since its a bit unorthodox.

Titan416 said:
I am ambidextrous so I have a lot of power in both my legs. However, the leg I am most comfortable striking with (low kicks) is the leg I lead with (I am a southpaw). I am lucky enough that I can do what they call a

Uh... let me see... Side Kick, Spinning Back Kick, Spinning Back Hook Kick, Hook Kick, Skipping Side kick, once and a while I'll try a 180 or 360

I suck at the spinning back fist though...

Back