Your UFC/MMA thoughts...

SG123

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
What's your most common?

Might be lame, like Googling the Diaz brothers to check out the latest news on them. Because despite being a pain in the ass to get in the ring, there's just something about watching them fight.

Might be something insignificant, like seeing McG respected/liked Nate/Nick, like when he was cracking up at Nate's answers on MSNBC.

Might be a real issue; like with the fan base, we arguably have the worst fans in all of sport. How people can show the level of disrespect and chat so much shit about the same guys getting in the ring to lay on the shows they love? Incredible to me. I dislike certain fighters, but part of the enjoyment is watching them step in the ring wanting them to lose. You wouldn't be as pumped for the fight if you liked both guys. Was never a fan of Rory Mac, after the second Lawler fight, how could you not love that guy? Don't love the ridiculous McG hype, but why wouldn't you enjoy the buzz he brings to the sport, the events he's on. The money he's made for the likes of Nate.

Could be something nice hypothetical. Like what the hell must it be like to be the baddest man to have ever walked the planet? So out of an estimated 107 billion people to have ever lived, no man to have ever walked this earth would have been favoured against a prime Fedor (insert your own fighter) in unarmed combat.

Or some deep shit. Like, to me, Big Nog represents a lot of what's brilliant about this sport. My favourite fighter of all time. Never met him, never seen him fight live from the arena, but such an inspirational dude.

Feel free to respond to what I've thrown up or what other people do and throw up your own.

P.S - If you're going to respond to something, make it the baddest man to walk the planet one, because Fedor doesn't even seem to realise it. Granted it might not be Fedor to you.

I disagree, IMO soccer has the worst fans in all of sports

I live in a 3rd world country where soccer is the number 1 sport by far, and I can tell you, you can't have a single exchange with a fan without being insulted to death

OTOH, there are some national FB groups when you can find at least some people who can be considered human beings

I disagree, IMO soccer has the worst fans in all of sports

I live in a 3rd world country where soccer is the number 1 sport by far, and I can tell you, you can't have a single exchange with a fan without being insulted to death

OTOH, there are some national FB groups when you can find at least some people who can be considered human beings

Reasonable call actually, would be up there with the worst, for sure.

You're a regular poster, what would be your most common UFC/MMA thoughts, triggers? What do you look out for on the site?

Fans that don't appreciate all aspects of a fight are the worst.

Get it, unless they're newbies. Coming into the sport, you're not going to understand what's going on apart from what obviously looks exciting. That's when Sherdog can be pretty cool, we have posters that can break down properly what's going on. Or talk about what they're seeing in the fight. Which an untrained eye wouldn't pick up.

I often wonder how good Cain Velasquez really is and really could be. Only 6 fights in 6 years. All the crazy potential matchups we missed out on.

BigMuff! You can't just pop your head in and point to sig. 22k posts, what do you reckon the top topics would be out of those 22k?
Aesthetic looking fighting is overrated. This applies to all sorts of things from heavier weights being viewed as less "skilled" than lighter weights, favoritism towards strikers over grapplers, and negative views of less obviously "athletic" fighters like Forrest, Sylvia and the greatest of greats (Tate).

I was at the recent UFC event and there were a bunch of obnoxious fans that were basically doing a running shit talking commentary for 2 hours. "Holly is a bum!", "Take that C@$#!" A bit of my soul died.

Aesthetic looking fighting is overrated. This applies to all sorts of things from heavier weights being viewed as less "skilled" than lighter weights, favoritism towards strikers over grapplers, and negative views of less obviously "athletic" fighters like Forrest, Sylvia and the greatest of greats (Tate).

Exactly! A lot of the time these forums are a shit show. But they're also a good place to start picking up knowledge of what isn't immediately aesthetic.

I think fighting was more a phase for THEM than the rest of us they aim to persuade.

Saying how lame MMA is while you're on sherdog daily seems like self-inflicted neurosis.

They like being upset at their chosen entertainment

I think fighting was more a phase for THEM than the rest of us they aim to persuade.

Saying how lame MMA is while you're on sherdog daily seems like self-inflicted neurosis.

They like being upset at their chosen entertainment

and with that feeds my need of shitting on them.

Makes sense. It's almost natural the way we our personalities are slotted in for a food chain.

and with that feeds my need of shitting on them.

Makes sense. It's almost natural the way we our personalities are slotted in for a food chain.
I wish they'd be cool with their own interests changing, but they tend to pick a boogeyman. Then comes the "Too many fights on, my friends have different plans than in 08, and someone is to blame!"

Meanwhile I'll watch a schizo carry on with himself if I think a good scrap may be brewing. Guess I'm easily contented, enthusiastic even.

I feel for ppl who find ways to hate everything

I wish they'd be cool with their own interests changing, but they tend to pick a boogeyman. Then comes the "Too many fights on, my friends have different plans than in 08, and someone is to blame!"

Meanwhile I'll watch a schizo carry on with himself if I think a good scrap may be brewing. Guess I'm easily contented, enthusiastic even.

I feel for ppl who find ways to hate everything

Those people are just lazy and don't understand the intricacies of fighting.

Too much to focus on in life and this sport so the majority will always just have their toes dipped delusionally demanding excitement.

The UFC should create its own submission grappling league and have matches on the contenders series. The divisions are 140, 185, 260 on the men's side and 120 and 140 on the women's. The bouts would only have UFC fighters and consist of 3 - 5 minute rounds in a cage. Strikes are allowed to the body on the ground. Judges score each round and declare a winner at the end of the match if no submissions took place.

I wish there was tournament to establish once and for all who is the baddest man on earth. It'd have top MMA MWs, LHWs, HWs, olympic wrestlers, high level kickboxers, BJJ guys, Sambo guys, the best Boxers, and even NFL, rugby, NHL, NBA players and strongmen with MMA training. The winner is the Baddest Man on the Planet, no ifs, ands, or buts.

I wish there was tournament to establish once and for all who is the baddest man on earth. It'd have top MMA MWs, LHWs, HWs, olympic wrestlers, high level kickboxers, BJJ guys, Sambo guys, the best Boxers, and even NFL, rugby, NHL, NBA players and strongmen with MMA training. The winner is the Baddest Man on the Planet, no ifs, ands, or buts.

MMA rules?
I have no doubt some UFC/Bellator guy would win
Unless some KBer with crazy TDD shows up, and even though I highly doubt it having guys with a strong wrestling like Cain, Jones or DC

MMA rules?
I have no doubt some UFC/Bellator guy would win
Unless some KBer with crazy TDD shows up, and even though I highly doubt it having guys with a strong wrestling like Cain, Jones or DC
UFC 1 rules, so it's as close to a NHB fight as possible. With no rounds or time limits I think submission guys would win.

Back