Your thoughts on those modern reboots of classic slasher franchises?

G

Guestx

Consider this a companion thread to my "iconic slasher villain" thread.

I'm sure most of you remember the relatively recent reboots of the NOES, Friday the 13th and Halloween franchises. You also probably noticed that these were mostly one and done, with Friday the 13th and NOES never coming back to haunt us again, and Halloween only getting a single sequel.

For those who saw them, what did you think of these new versions of classic horror tales? And do you think they deserved to spawn a new series, as was undoubtedly the original intention?

A_Nightmare_on_Elm_Street_2010_poster.jpg

halloweenremake.jpg

friday-the-13th-2009-movie-poster003-7f.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was sick of Hollywood's lack of ideas and spinelessness two decades ago.

While I am also annoyed by all the remakes and reboots, I do think that some characters are simply too valuable to let fade away.

Take James Bond, for instance. They've been making James Bond movies for over 50 years and I don't see any reason to stop.

The only one I kind of liked was Rob Zombie's Halloween.

If you include Last House on the Left, the remake blew the original out of the water.

While I am also annoyed by all the remakes and reboots, I do think that some characters are simply too valuable to let fade away.

Take James Bond, for instance. They've been making James Bond movies for over 50 years and I don't see any reason to stop.
Don't make me examine it too closely or we'll get into my exceptions and pretty soon nothing I've said will hold.

Stop wasting money and everybody's time, IMO.

The remake/reboot as a concept is batting far less than .500 as it is.

they're mostly cheap cash grabs,the studios know they'll get fans of the originals to watch just out of curiosity. so they turn a minimum profit and don't bother with sequels cause they know the old fans won't bother,and they haven't bothered to try and improve on the originals,so they have no new fans.

On a related note John Landis's son Max is about to redo An American Werewolf in London.

As it is one of my all time favourite horrors and comedies, I am both dreading it and looking forward to it......Evil Dead re-make-esque.

I would be upset about them if the original movies were some sort of great movie like Psycho or Vertigo but they're not really high art themselves. When they make like 7 movies in the original series of films for Nightmare on Elm Street, Friday the 13th and Halloween they're aleady beyond the point of doing stuff just for crash grabs.

they're incredibly hollow attempts by the industry to make easy profit...they'e lazy, uninspired and devoid of creativity/inspiration.... they're just dogshit

Cabin in the Woods (2012) was one of the better horrors of the last 10 years. Watched it probably 5 times. I guess, ultimately, it was sort of a reboot of Evil Dead by a different name.

I always wanted a Evil Dead reboot with Jim Carey playing Ash. The reboot by that name that we got wasn't too bad but it didn't have the campy nature of the originals.

they're incredibly hollow attempts by the industry to make easy profit...they'e lazy, uninspired and devoid of creativity/inspiration.... they're just dogshit

I think the people who worked on them probably thought they were making something cool and they were probably fans of the original franchises.

Take Rob Zombie, for instance. His style of moviemaking does not appeal to me--at all--but I do think that he's passionate about what he does and I think he really wanted to make his Halloween reboot something awesome.

I also remember some things that Jackie Earle Haley said about the NOES reboot and he seemed legitimately excited about playing Freddy Kreuger and seemed to feel like they had made a good film.

I think the people who worked on them probably thought they were making something cool and they were probably fans of the original franchises.

Take Rob Zombie, for instance. His style of moviemaking does not appeal to me--at all--but I do think that he's passionate about what he does and I think he really wanted to make his Halloween reboot something awesome.

I also remember some things that Jackie Earle Haley said about the NOES reboot and he seemed legitimately excited about playing Freddy Kreuger and seemed to feel like they had made a good film.

Jackie Earl Haley was the BEST aspect of the NOES remake, but the movie was just so ...lackluster feeling to me. But you’re right the dirdctors and stuff may have the heart behind doing the originals justice, but redesigning these iconic characters for todays audiences, when “what made them great” was how they were written back in their heyday... like they were written for a completely different audience and their films reflect that.... todays film demands very cookie cutter plots/characters to get in audiences

Like people hate Rob Zombies house of 1000 corpses but I dunno I think that movie is good in a verrrry uniquely bizarre way

If it was released in the 80’s it’d be a cult classic probably

One thing I can say about Rob Zombie Halloween was that is was most definitely not "hollow attempts by the industry to make easy profit...they'e lazy, uninspired and devoid of creativity/inspiration"

I have talked about the movie a lot already but Rob really tries to go out of his way to make something new an interesting. Doesn't work out great but his desire was there

The same can be said about a lot of the original films.

I love horror movies. I love the old ones and I can enjoy the remakes for what they are most of the time.

Jackie Earl Haley was the BEST aspect of the NOES remake, but the movie was just so ...lackluster feeling to me.

Here's the real question:

What could they have done to reboot the franchise, and stay true to the spirit of the original, which WOULDN'T have felt lackluster? How could this be accomplished?

Personally, I thought the movie was okay. Not great, but okay. My biggest issue with it was making Freddy a pedophile, which I thought was just unnecessary.

Jackie Earl Haley was the BEST aspect of the NOES remake, but the movie was just so ...lackluster feeling to me. But you’re right the dirdctors and stuff may have the heart behind doing the originals justice, but redesigning these iconic characters for todays audiences, when “what made them great” was how they were written back in their heyday... like they were written for a completely different audience and their films reflect that.... todays film demands very cookie cutter plots/characters to get in audiences

Like people hate Rob Zombies house of 1000 corpses but I dunno I think that movie is good in a verrrry uniquely bizarre way

If it was released in the 80’s it’d be a cult classic probably

I think The Devil's Rejects was a very strange thing to WANT to make in the first place, but I thought he made it very well.

One thing I can say about Rob Zombie Halloween was that is was most definitely not "hollow attempts by the industry to make easy profit...they'e lazy, uninspired and devoid of creativity/inspiration"

I have talked about the movie a lot already but Rob really tries to go out of his way to make something new an interesting. Doesn't work out great but his desire was there

I have that one downloaded. I may say fuck it and go ahead and watch it tonight just so I know what it's all about.

Rob Zombie's Halloween was aight. I didn't care for the first half all that much but at least it was never Resurrection bad. Plus it's obvious that the studio got involved and was probably the sole reason why the second half became a rushed, conventional rehash of the original.

Also I'm a big fan of Malcolm McDowell so I gotta give Rob props for choosing him to play Dr. Loomis.

Back