Your Thoughts On "Smart" Guns?

crowded

Red Belt
Reaction score
I saw this article and have mixed feelings about it. Mostly though I don't want more restrictions imposed and I can see how it won't be long before manufacturers are forced to adapt some type of similar technology.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-smart-gun-come-america-205914675.html

In California, German gun manufacturer Armatix GmbH has begun selling a gun which can only fire when the owner wears an accompanying wristwatch.
Basically, the Armatix iP1 is the country’s first smart gun.

The_First_Smart_Gun_Has-75aab785f79f875ba44603162bfb7193

No thanks. Actually hell no. I would not be interested whatsoever. I hope this gets zero traction anywhere.

I like it. You can never be too safe.

so what does the watch do in this scenario, because it doesnt look smart at all

I could see the bad guys making a jamming thingy.

Guns don't kill people. People who have time to find and then put on a stupid watch while someone is breaking into their home kill people.

No way I'm trusting my life to that. One more thing to go wrong.

Big glass of nope. What if you get in a fight with a guy and he pulls one of these out, you disarm him but now you can't shoot him?

No way I'm trusting my life to tech like that.

Too many questions about it. If the watch is on my right can I fire with only my left hand? What's the battery life on the system, is there back ups? Can it be jammed?

If the software in that thing is windows based, you'll be fucked when you need it!

Fuck no. That company is just encouraging California to pass even more stupid fucking laws and regulations.

I could see the bad guys making a jamming thingy.

Ha! Funny. Maybe the best thing to do is get police and other government agencies using these things first so we can get the kinks ironed out. I'm sure they wouldn't consider it a restriction or a safety concern.

If the software in that thing is windows based, you'll be fucked when you need it!

"Yeah, hold on guy in my house with a knife. I need to reboot my watch real quick."

Reminds me of Survivors when Jerry Reed shoots Robin Williams' gun and Mork asks him to let him go home and get another gun so they can continue to try to kill each other.

Reminds me of Survivors when Jerry Reed shoots Robin Williams' gun and Mork asks him to let him go home and get another gun so they can continue to try to kill each other.

I remember that movie. It had some funny parts in it.

Big glass of nope. What if you get in a fight with a guy and he pulls one of these out, you disarm him but now you can't shoot him?

Switch the situation around - you get disarmed by an attacker and he tries to shoot you . . . nope. I think this could be potentially useful, especially among law enforcement where being disarmed and attacked with your own gun is a serious risk.

Switch the situation around - you get disarmed by an attacker and he tries to shoot you . . . nope. I think this could be potentially useful, especially among law enforcement where being disarmed and attacked with your own gun is a serious risk.

True, but its just one more thing that could malfunction.

Tap, rack, check batteries, check RF signal, bang.

No thanks. Like everyone said, it's just one more thing that can go wrong. I'll stick to maintaining discipline, responsibility and training for retention/safety.

Tech like this, or the idea of personalized safety, has been around since the mid 1980's.

Back