Your thoughts on Kawajiri?

I thought Soriano was going to win. Pretty big FW himself who was the better striker. Kawajiri looked really impatient with his TD's and at times didn't set them up. At one point in the 1st round, he almost chased Soriano around with his arms extended looking for a TD. Overall, I think Kawajiri could use a few weeks training in the US.

Bottom line is that he got a finish over a tough opponent but exposed a few holes in his game.

He looked good against unknown competition. If Soriano turns out to be a killer then Kawa will look really good.

I'd love to see him fight Guida, or failing that, Cub since Kawajiri wanted him to begin with.

He looked okay. He is big as shit though for FW. I think he holds the title now for biggest FW in the UFC. His wrestling I thought was decent, but Soriano definitely had great wrestling himself which made Kawajiri look less stellar. I also liked his aggression/determination. Even after getting stuffed he kept going for it until he got it. His striking though left a lot to be desired. He also showed poor ability to mix striking with wrestling and was shooting very telegraphed TDs.

He's definitely past his prime IMO but he's a savvy veteran now with some juice left in him. I'd like to see him against somebody like Lentz or Guida to test his wrestling better.

give him mcgregor or stephens. maybe even lentz if they're pushing him.

He looked gassed after the 1st round. Been a fan of his for a long time so I can't ever root against the guy, but he wasn't really impressive, glad he won though. For me, I'd love to see him fight KZ or Siver. I think if he fought Cub it'd go much like it did for Siver, he would be outworked and would be finished in the 3rd.

The crusher didn't look as good as he used to. Of course, I've never seen him fight at the lower weight class, so I don't know how the cut have affected him over his last 6 fights. Some badly telegraphed takedowns and his striking wasn't as sharp as it used to be, but he walked through all those heavy strikes from his opponent to secure a nice submission.

Glad to see him on the winning end.

60296f3072ac11e38d5c0e4c394d6daa_8.jpg

I hope he does good. but i think he will lose two in a row and go back to Japan. I hope im wrong but the way he looked tonight on the feet I was not impressed. Wrestler with stand up he is fucked.

like josh thompson?

Soriano was very good.
Kawajiri was as good as most that have seen him fight know.

Kawajiri is one of those guys that can challenge Aldo for a title shot, and be a good win for Aldo's legacy. I would give him big fights right away instead of gradually moving him along.

Put him on the Gustafsson vs Manuwa card against Siver in March

He's beat Thomson, Calvanti, and Melendez. What does that mean? He's ready for Jose Aldo.

In my opinion, the biggest threat would be Chad Mendez and for this particular opponent, Aoki has more chance to win.

Too bad the UFC doesn't match winners with losers. I would've liked to see Kawa-Lentz. Maybe Dustin? As far as Kawajiri goes, I don't know. He's certainly a talented fighter and I'm glad he'll be fighting against solid competition more regularly now we'll just have to see.

Back