Your thoughts on Andy Hug?

IHeartRizin

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I've always seen him as the greatest heavyweight of all time. Even though his record wasn't the most impressive...idk. I just feel like he was really coming into his prime when he got sick.

Also his death was the death of heavyweight kickboxing on that level for me. Yeah, great fighters have came along since then; the Hug, Hoost, Aerts, Le Banner, Bernardo, Filho era was just by far the best though.

Maybe I'm just a sucker for dead guys though. One thing is whenever I run out of things to say to a girl I always just link them this highlight. They love it everytime.

Last edited:
one of the best HW of all time,underheighted and underweighted but his insane ammount of talent made him one of the best and most talent fighters to ever step a kickboxing ring,one of the few guys who i actually like to watch trowing spinning stuff

one of the best HW of all time,underheighted and underweighted but his insane ammount of talent made him one of the best and most talent fighters to ever step a kickboxing ring,one of the few guys who i actually like to watch trowing spinning stuff

So glad I'm not alone in this lol. I honestly expected a bunch of people calling him overrated cause he's flashy...and point out a negative record against Aerts and Hoost.

So glad I'm not alone in this lol. I honestly expected a bunch of people calling him overrated cause he's flashy...and point out a negative record against Aerts and Hoost.

pretty sure everyone here likes him,never saw a kickboxing fan that dosent like the old guard of HW´s Aerts,Hoost,Hug,Bernardo,Filho,JLB and other legends

Guys like Leko and Branko are hated or loved for some reasons,especially Branko who wasnt the most liked from some fans because he was a asshole in his personal life

pretty sure everyone here likes him,never saw a kickboxing fan that dosent like the old guard of HW´s Aerts,Hoost,Hug,Bernardo,Filho,JLB and other legends

Guys like Leko and Branko are hated or loved for some reasons,especially Branko who wasnt the most liked from some fans because he was a asshole in his personal life

It's weird lol, I never include Filho cause the Hug fan in me hates him. He was great though and beat everyone but Le Banner.

I always imagined Greco, Musashi, and Stan the Man are pretty hated too from that era.

I've always wondered about Hoost also. I know he's widely considered the best ever...or the Sapp guy depending who you ask.

I love his style but anyone else who fought defensive a lot in K1 seem to get a ton of shit for it. I think Bonjasky is the most exciting to watch ever. He gets a ton of hate for hanging on the ropes though.

Last edited:
Also just wanted to add that I feel this is by far the best and most educated sub-forum on Sherdog. Great to talk about fights here.

Wish MMA only and boxing fans as a whole were as cool as kickboxing fans.

Kickboxing is like the only combat sport where threads like this don't usually become a pissing contest.

Also just wanted to add that I feel this is by far the best and most educated sub-forum on Sherdog. Great to talk about fights here.

Kickboxing is like the only combat sport where threads like this don't usually become a pissing contest.
not always the case. chinese and moroccan kickboxing fans can be pretty bad...

not always the case. chinese and moroccan kickboxing fans can be pretty bad...

I guess those are the fans who pretend Badr wasn't already losing when he got himself DQ'd vs Bonjasky?

I guess those are the fans who pretend Badr wasn't already losing when he got himself DQ'd vs Bonjasky?
People from any country can be biased. Those 2 groups are the ones i've seen insulting others on social media with racial slurs the most.

People from any country can be biased. Those 2 groups are the ones i've seen insulting others on social media with racial slurs the most.

Oh wow lol. As an innocent American fan who never really cared to talk about kickboxing online much before, I had no idea. Will be on the look out for those motherfuckers.

I think everyone will agree that Hug was an awesome Kickboxer and he is universally liked, but you'll be hard pressed to find people that think he is the GOAT. Other guys have better accomplishments.

Oh wow lol. As an innocent American fan who never really cared to talk about kickboxing online much before, I had no idea. Will be on the look out for those motherfuckers.
The other times you get lots of racial slurs is when Zambo or an Armenian fights a Turk. Its often delivered in broken English and can be pretty hilarious.

It's weird lol, I never include Filho cause the Hug fan in me hates him. He was great though and beat everyone but Le Banner.

I always imagined Greco, Musashi, and Stan the Man are pretty hated too from that era.

I've always wondered about Hoost also. I know he's widely considered the best ever...or the Sapp guy depending who you ask.

I love his style but anyone else who fought defensive a lot in K1 seem to get a ton of shit for it. I think Bonjasky is the most exciting to watch ever. He gets a ton of hate for hanging on the ropes though.

Love Greco. Used to hate STM, but grew to love him. Still can't truly get into Musashi.

Love Greco. Used to hate STM, but grew to love him. Still can't truly get into Musashi.

Haha I just can't get passed them being Aus...like my ex from the most serious relationship I ever had. Other than that, I never had a problem with Greco. I used to like Stan just cause he was so cocky and fun to watch.

Musashi though...I haven't liked him ever since I bought K1 Revenge for the PS1. His picture was on the paper behind the CD. They pushed that guy on fans way too hard. They tried every match making, judging, and ref tactic possible to get him a GP win.

Andy was one of the best from the toughest and most competitive era of K-1. He was an undersized heavyweight and got a late start in kickboxing, but made a very big impact in a short amount of time against the best of the best. I always thought he had the most exciting style of his time and he was humble and well liked. He died well before his time and I think he had several good years left in him when he passed. RIP

Andy Hug is probably among the beloved fighters in K-1 history. He was undersized and competing in an unfamiliar ruleset, but got through multiple devastating defeats to eventually become champion. They had a massive news broadcast in Japan when he passed away. I still get teary eyed when I see this clip of Aerts sobbying

We are a few, but happy few.

AncientCarefulAnaconda.gif

Haha I just can't get passed them being Aus...like my ex from the most serious relationship I ever had. Other than that, I never had a problem with Greco. I used to like Stan just cause he was so cocky and fun to watch.

Musashi though...I haven't liked him ever since I bought K1 Revenge for the PS1. His picture was on the paper behind the CD. They pushed that guy on fans way too hard. They tried every match making, judging, and ref tactic possible to get him a GP win.

Hilarious. The same reason I can't dig him.

Hug was awesome, and most people would probably agree.

He was also an advisor on Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie, which was probably why the fight scenes in that anime were so good.

Hilarious. The same reason I can't dig him.

Haha nice! I love the Japanese people but always thought it was funny how they could never get a champ in K-1 no matter how hard they tried :D

Hug was awesome, and most people would probably agree.

He was also an advisor on Street Fighter 2: The Animated Movie, which was probably why the fight scenes in that anime were so good.

Bro that's awesome. I actually really enjoyed that movie lol...then again I'm a JCVD nutthugger, who considers that black & white video on YT of him winning a point Karate tournament as a kid reason enough to call him a real fighter :p

Hug was what made me start watching K-1 to begin with.

I can only imagine how great a prime Hug would have been in K-1 (if he had made the transition from knockdown to kickboxing earlier) - even though he was undersized/smaller than everyone else he had great instinct/heart and it was what won him fights.

It's weird though how Filho gets looked over from that era - despite the non-existent boxing he legit beat top guys and imho should have won the WGP in 2000 (still think he did enough to beat Hunt before the extensions).

The Hug vs Filho rivalry was very real - at least on Hug's side because Filho KO'd him in the 1991 world openweight tournament and he felt robbed because it was just after the round ended. Then Filho got him again - just had his number I suppose. But thankfully - that fight was what broke the camels back & prompted the switch to Seidokaikan & then K-1 for Hug.

If Hug had won a openweight world tournament I'm not sure he would have crossed over to kickboxing - so Hug fans should thank Filho for that lol.

Back