Your opinion on Belfort's legacy?

djason1988

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Just curious to what fellow Sherdoggers think.

Belfort was an exciting and explosive fighter at his peaks, but he was also a poster boy for steroid abuse. Pissed hot multiple times, and then his obvious misuse of TRT that pretty much got it banned from the sport single-handedly.

I don't think he was ever particularly skilled, at least not compared to other greats/legends. His abilities were nearly 100% physical, and it's hard to look past his roided record because of it.

He was a hot and cold fighter who could finish anyone on any given night at his peak.

A front runner who didn’t have much heart once he started losing a fight.

Legend... ufc tournament winner and lhw champion. Dude had quick hands and slick Jitz

My all time favorite and a legend in my eyes

ouqn4rpssg901.gif

xv_c__20belfort_info.jpg

108123104.0.jpg

AYzHFX8.gif

C6zs-thVsAA8Ptq-613x462.jpg

^Belfort's career in a nutshell.

Last edited:
He was a wrecking ball back in the early days, and had a resurgence with the TRT era.

I kind of put him in the juicehead Jones category - Very dominant, but with a * next to his name.

- a 19 year old entering open weight tournaments fighting grown men that seriously outweighed him

- good boxing and "representative" of Carlson Gracie Jiu Jitsu in his early days

- fought so many greats and legends over two decades in 3 different weight classes

- one of the most dangerous fighters of all time

- not only has great hands but also has brutal KOs from knees and head kicks as well

- almost always ranked (sometimes very high) over two decades

- extremely entertaining fights. Great highlight reel

Highlight King baby.

If you watch a Belfort fight, you know he's either going to do something amazing or else go out on that shield.

This man took flying front kicks from Anderson AND Machida.

He either KO'ed or was KO'ed 25 times in his professional career.

He's had 1 fight go to decision since 2007.

Was he a cheat? Yes.

But to me? he will always be one of the most entertaining fighters that ever stepped into that octagon.

At the end of the day, that's all you can ask for.

Fuck legacies. He had great fights and a lot of them.

At his best he was a scary dude.

Turned Rumble Johnson into a panic wrestler.

Put some big names to sleep.

Remained a top fighter for basically 20 years straight.

Legend.

TRT-tor single-handedly spurred the push for increased drug testing in the UFC with the three headkick KOs in a row. He was a gamebreaker, and even before then was an absolute force.

I'll always respect anyone who puts that amount of time in the sport, but one cannot overlook the certain...shall we say, "inconsistencies", over the course of Belfort's career. Regardless, he always put on great fights, and always fought big names.

A world class champion in his own right. When he was on, he was like fire made flesh, and few could withstand him.

Just curious to what fellow Sherdoggers think.

Belfort was an exciting and explosive fighter at his peaks, but he was also a poster boy for steroid abuse. Pissed hot multiple times, and then his obvious misuse of TRT that pretty much got it banned from the sport single-handedly.

I don't think he was ever particularly skilled, at least not compared to other greats/legends. His abilities were nearly 100% physical, and it's hard to look past his roided record because of it.

A legend and a hall of famer with an asterisk next to his name.

he is probably my first favorite fighter.

An old school, fun fighter who definitely competed with an unfair advantage.

Exciting fighter. Incredible longevity, lots of kos. Elite in multiple divisions in multiple eras but never the top guy at any point in his career.

Legacy marred by obvious steroid usage.

Back