Your opinion about taking a fight instead of waiting for the TS, after seeing what Brian & Yoel did?

Kung Fu bb

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Rockhold and Edgar had their fight for the title scheduled. They could've waited and rescheduled the fight when the champions got injured, but they decided to accept a fight against a dangerous opponent instead. Those decisions changed their careers dramatically. (Actually it´s Rockhold's second time that a short notice fight changes his career *Bisping was the 1st*)

How do you feel about that? Do you feel like there's too much at stake in this kind of situation and they should just wait for the title fight to be rescheduled?? Or do you think fighters should accept this kind of challenge and put it all on the line for the sake of the show?

cr27L77.gif

ConcernedDenseBlackrhino-max-1mb.gif

Thoughts?

It would seem that the risk outweighs the reward. But props to Edgar and Rockhold for stepping up and taking those fights anyway.

It worked for Woodley

I have more hespect for fighters fighting and not playing the politics game but I'm old school

<Fedor23>

It's a ballsy move and is deserving of respect. Let's not forget that cards could have just fallen through if it weren't for these guys stepping up. Not to mention Romero missed weight so hats off to Luke.

These guys don’t doubt themselves and they shouldn’t.

Sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t.

Sad for Frankie and Rockhold it didn’t work.

But idgaf bout them Romero and Ortega are my current fav fighters so I’m pumped for them to be getting the shots.

GSP talked about this on Areils show on Monday. Basically he said you have to manage career right. Sucks for fans and there is still Some real fighters like ones you mention and Tony and Khabib both #1s at one time or another and didnt have to face one another. Big risks.

These guys don’t doubt themselves and they shouldn’t.

Sometimes it works, other times it doesn’t.

Sad for Frankie and Rockhold it didn’t work.

But idgaf bout them Romero and Ortega are my current fav fighters so I’m pumped for them to be getting the shots.

<TheWire1>

They wouldn't have gotten paid...It's not that easy...They don't have fuck you Mayweather money.

Also Edgar and rockhold were in a huge fucking advantage...Huge...They had a proper training camp, sure it was for a different style but they actually trained.

So edgar and rockhold simplied sucked mroe than Ortega and Yoel....They never deserved to be champs IMO....and would've gotten dethrone ASAP by these guys if they became champ.

it earns them respect it does but the fans arent the ones that end up having to pick of the pieces after a defeat like that, although most of us act as if we also lost when stuff like that happens :(

Double edged sword, but Holloway's message to Edgar after the fight sums it up. Frankie himself said he hadn't fought since May, and Luke had had a long lay-off(ish) overall.

Its the fight game. You can parlay a last minute replacement into a TUF gig or you can poorly alter the trajectory of your career.

Some fighters have the reputation that they can take the hit (Frankie), others its going to hurt more (Luke)

Such is the world

It's always commendable but at the end of the day respect from fans doesn't pay the bills

It's always commendable but at the end of the day respect from fans doesn't pay the bills
it does if i buy their merchandise and the fighters get their royalties.

Yoel was up for the 185 shot til Bisping got “hurt”. Fought Whitaker for the interim and lost. He should have been lineal champ.

Didn’t work out too bad for him though

They wouldn't have gotten paid...It's not that easy...They don't have fuck you Mayweather money.

Also Edgar and rockhold were in a huge fucking advantage...Huge...They had a proper training camp, sure it was for a different style but they actually trained.

So edgar and rockhold simplied sucked mroe than Ortega and Yoel....They never deserved to be champs IMO....and would've gotten dethrone ASAP by these guys if they became champ.
Yeap that's the problem, they go through a full camp or close to it then don't get paid.

I mean respect for taking the fight but really they are thrown into a shit situation... Don't take the fight and they are out some serious money.

If they don't fight they don't get paid.

That's probably has something to do it.

Frankie just needs one win and he's next in line anyway.

Much respect to those fighters who take a huge risk and lay it all on the line to fight and potentially save a card.

However, it's risky and a dumb business move.

Back