Your Most Awkward Jiu-Jitsu Situation

The most awkward BJJ situation for me was when I was rolling with this guy and he, out of the blue just says to me, "Is my cup bothering you"?

Ummmm.....

rofl wtf? :eek:

Lol, right?

I was like, "Umm, no, it's fine"

But really, it hadn't crossed my mind at all, I was thinking about how I wanted to sweep the guy or whatever and he says that. Odd.

fuckin' weird thing to say. makes me think he might've been getting turned on by you lol

I once ended up in mount but facing the wrong way lol

This happens to me a lot against other whitebelts after half successful/failed omoplata or scissor sweeps

This happens to me a lot against other whitebelts after half successful/failed omoplata or scissor sweeps

I just swung one leg over so I would be facing one side and took side control instead. The only thing I would think to do from that position is maybe a leg lock but most of these white belts rolling with us don't know how to defend it yet.

fuckin' weird thing to say. makes me think he might've been getting turned on by you lol

I don't find it that unusual. Cups can be really annoying, particularly if the guy has your back and is driving his cup into your spine. Also during knee bars and arm bars, I don't normally care when people wear cups, but when I get caught in those positions it's pretty irritating.

I don't find it that unusual. Cups can be really annoying, particularly if the guy has your back and is driving his cup into your spine. Also during knee bars and arm bars, I don't normally care when people wear cups, but when I get caught in those positions it's pretty irritating.

I'm not gonna lie, knee bars are a little more annoying than some guys cup and if its that big maybe he needs to stop getting boners in class.

I just swung one leg over so I would be facing one side and took side control instead. The only thing I would think to do from that position is maybe a leg lock but most of these white belts rolling with us don't know how to defend it yet.

I generally try to slide back into North/South when I'm on top, but switch to side does seem like it'd be a better option now that you mention it. Note that I've only been training a couple months so lots of things still don't feel intuitive in the slightest for me.

A fat lady sat on my face and made me tap. It really stink! And she was a purple belt.

When I started BJJ, my instructor at the time was one of those guys who sweats profusely after just breathing deep.

The problem wasn't the amount of sweat though, it was that for some inexplicable reason, his sweat smelled like an old chessboard my mom and dad used to have when I was a kid. I remember playing tons of games with my dad on that old ass chessboard. It was wooden with velour lining on the inside where you kept the pieces, and the top was marble, so were the pieces themselves. The reason why I remember this chessboard in such detail I chalk up to the fact that smell is such a powerful memory trigger. And this guys sweat smelled JUST like it. The first classes I was overcome with such huge nostalgia it was difficult to focus on BJJ :/

How do you tell people that? "Hey dude you smell like a chessboard"? I don't want to be "that guy".

Lol, right?

I was like, "Umm, no, it's fine"

But really, it hadn't crossed my mind at all, I was thinking about how I wanted to sweep the guy or whatever and he says that. Odd.

Protip: That wasn't a cup. :icon_chee

I've met a judoka who thought that only when training the ground game, the person trying to pass the guard shouldn't stand. How the hell to pass a guard then? I'm sure a guy like Roger or Marcelo Garcia may know how to do that, but I don't.

In judo newaza we never stand up to pass the guard. I assumed that this was because if one person stood up in judo tournament competition that a ref would view that as "lack of progress" and restart both from the feet.

I mean, obviously if he's training BJJ he should adjust to the BJJ rules and training environment, but in the context of judo that's not bizarre behavior.

How do you tell people that? "Hey dude you smell like a chessboard"? I don't want to be "that guy".

i think you'd be the first 'that guy' to ever exist.

In judo newaza we never stand up to pass the guard. I assumed that this was because if one person stood up in judo tournament competition that a ref would view that as "lack of progress" and restart both from the feet.

I mean, obviously if he's training BJJ he should adjust to the BJJ rules and training environment, but in the context of judo that's not bizarre behavior.

i didnt know that. why is it viewed as a lack of progress? Some of the most common/effective passes/guard breaks now days are from standing.

LMAO. If someone told me that my sweat filled them with nostalgia because it reminded them of a specific chessboard, my "serial killer" radar would be going WILD.

When I started BJJ, my instructor at the time was one of those guys who sweats profusely after just breathing deep.

The problem wasn't the amount of sweat though, it was that for some inexplicable reason, his sweat smelled like an old chessboard my mom and dad used to have when I was a kid. I remember playing tons of games with my dad on that old ass chessboard. It was wooden with velour lining on the inside where you kept the pieces, and the top was marble, so were the pieces themselves. The reason why I remember this chessboard in such detail I chalk up to the fact that smell is such a powerful memory trigger. And this guys sweat smelled JUST like it. The first classes I was overcome with such huge nostalgia it was difficult to focus on BJJ :/

This is a funny post. Holy shit! I think the detail you went in to when describing the chess board and the accompanying nostalgic value is what got me laughing. :icon_chee

I was about to sprawl on a swiss ball as part of a drill, but it bumped off my lead leg at the last second and i tried to sprawl on nothing. See Jardine vs Bader for reference.

i didnt know that. why is it viewed as a lack of progress? Some of the most common/effective passes/guard breaks now days are from standing.

It's simply a rule. If you stand in Judo while in someone's guard, the ref will restart you both standing. Basically, standing from any groundwork position indicates you want to restart standing. Guys do it all the time when their opponents fail a throw...instead of attacking turtle, they'll just stand and walk away, mostly to save energy.

If someone has you in a guard armbar, if you can stand and pick him all the way up off the ground, then the ref will restart it. It's a throwing art with a groundwork component under current rules, and is reffed as such.

A guy I was rolling with stopped in mid-roll and asked me if his cup was bothering me.

:redface:

Back