Your go to for the Front Headlock

biscuitsbrah

Amateur Fighter
@Gold
Reaction score
When on top: Snap down and take the back I guess
When on bottom: Fight hands and stand up

Looking to see how some wrestlers play this position from both top and bottom

depends on what they are trying to do to defend i love a solid head and arm guillotine if they are trying to stand up if they are trying to tripod up to stand i like to cement mixer them to there back

i never used front headlock before it isnt a bigmove in jiu jitsu mostly cause people dont teach it much but its very solid in keeping someone down especially when trying to belly down or stand back up

theres 3 dif positions to attack the turtle front head lock is from the front to keeping them down so they dont stand back up from the sides i can wrist ride spiral ride ect from behind got the chop breakdowns leo viera back takes

I am not a wrestler.

I do love the front headlock though.

The first thing I will always go for is the arm across guillotine/Assassin. If I can, I will actually pull them up and finish it from the top. If I can't pull them up, I'll slide my shin across their belly and finish it from the back. Even if I get it from sitting into guard, I'll still try to hook sweep them to finish it on top.

Usually to resist me pulling their arm across they'll have to base out on their elbow like a bulldog. This leaves my foot enough space to slide in for the crucifix. I'll usually use my far side foot, as I want to armbar him right away.

If their arm is somewhere in the middle of arm across guillotine and crucifix range, I will go for the anaconda. I don't like to gator roll and prefer to dump them the other way so I have the angle to attack immediately. To be fair sometimes I'll just go for the anaconda as my first and last option because I just love this choke so much. It's also easier to get to than the arm across guillotine but you of course sacrifice ease of entry for ease of finishing. I would recommend the anaconda be your last option, however, as this is the sub that is most difficult to recover from if things go bad and requires more horsepower if everything isn't perfect. There are still some really cool things to do from a failed anaconda though (Yoshida style, bearhug crucifix or the more humble guillotine).

The guillotine is also a good option. I just don't like going for it as I prefer the positional control of having an arm and head over the finishing power of just having their neck. Furthermore, some guys are good about hopping over my legs as I sit back for the guillotine. This is a lot harder if not impossible if I go for an arm in choke instead.

The marce is also a great option - I just haven't figured out a good time to implement this and it's not as immediate a threat as the anaconda or arm across guillotine.

The arm in guillotine is another great option but I have never figured out how to do this properly.

There are so many offensive options from the front headlock that I feel it's a shame not to finish from here. If I'm having a hard time though, I'll try to knee tap into side control or snap to the back and hope I don't get sucker dragged in the process.

My favorite posish, to float my own boat a little bit, this is my first ever video

Plan on redoing it and breaking things down more. I scored a lot of points from this position

Been working on this stuff lately and Dresser dump

What I think I’ll do from the front headlock in BJJ: snatch up a ten finger or immediately go behind.

What ends up happening: I lay panting on top of the guy because I’m too unskilled to finish the choke or I initiate a go behind and he falls straight to his back.

What I think I’ll do from the front headlock in BJJ: snatch up a ten finger or immediately go behind.

What ends up happening: I lay panting on top of the guy because I’m too unskilled to finish the choke or I initiate a go behind and he falls straight to his back.
if he falls to his back you win you are now on top at least id liek to get a superior position but hell if he pulls guard thats great not i got him where i want him

If somebody headlocks me, I like to arm drag to escape.

From standing, I am not a big fan of snap downs, so I will release the headlock and get lower for a double/low single as they straighten their back after I let go.

On their knees, circle round to their back, or use some cradle.

The marce is also a great option - I just haven't figured out a good time to implement this and it's not as immediate a threat as the anaconda or arm across guillotine.

The arm in guillotine is another great option but I have never figured out how to do this properly.

Those are usually my go tos from the front headlock along with the seatbelt near side back attack with the knee driving through.

Those are usually my go tos from the front headlock along with the seatbelt near side back attack with the knee driving through.

For the back take my instructor does a thing where he uses his hand to cup the far side knee. He pulls up on the far side knee to help turn them over for the backtake.

I've never seen anyone else do this but it works really well.

For the back take my instructor does a thing where he uses his hand to cup the far side knee. He pulls up on the far side knee to help turn them over for the backtake.

I've never seen anyone else do this but it works really well.
? Having trouble imagining it

Ignore what Garry is saying, just using this video so you have a visual reference.

At 1:08 Garry has the seatbelt grip and inserts his knee to go for the back take. My instructor does the same thing, except just before he falls back for the back take, he lets go of the seat belt grip, puts his right hand on the inside of uke's right knee, and uses it to pry uke's right leg open to help pull uke out of turtle and into back control.

Hopefully that made more sense.

Ignore what Garry is saying, just using this video so you have a visual reference.

At 1:08 Garry has the seatbelt grip and inserts his knee to go for the back take. My instructor does the same thing, except just before he falls back for the back take, he lets go of the seat belt grip, puts his right hand on the inside of uke's right knee, and uses it to pry uke's right leg open to help pull uke out of turtle and into back control.

Oh ok so kinda prying out the leg like a spiral

I'm retarded. That's exactly what it is.

Another extremely common wrestling move that I know nothing about. I'd just never seen a bjj guy ever do this so I thought it was unique. My apologies.

I'm retarded. That's exactly what it is.

Another extremely common wrestling move that I know nothing about. I'd just never seen a bjj guy ever do this so I thought it was unique. My apologies.
Nothing to apologize for

For me it was snap down then whipover for side control. Side control is great for control and my favorite choke from sc is a rare one that not everybody knows.

For me it was snap down then whipover for side control. Side control is great for control and my favorite choke from sc is a rare one that not everybody knows.
I’ve found a good physical whipover works remarkably easy in bjj because they are so worried about the choke*

*stranglr ;)

Bottom: Sucker drag or clamp the body side arm, dump, then straight arm bar

Top: Japanese neck tie or dump them with the necktie grip and slide in a D'Arce.

Bottom: Sucker drag or clamp the body side arm, dump, then straight arm bar

Top: Japanese neck tie or dump them with the necktie grip and slide in a D'Arce.
I have a really hard time really keeping them from popping back up after the dump. I'm going to keep working on both of those. I know it's a little riskier but I like baseball sliding myself into the darce position more than trying to vice grip and dump them down into it. Just slide right into the lock. Against bigger guys especially wrestlers with good base I just have a tough time keeping them on their side on that crank down but I'll keep trying. Maybe I need to try to just crank them down and fall right into the Japanese and not even worry about going hand on biceps first.

I have a really hard time really keeping them from popping back up after the dump. I'm going to keep working on both of those. I know it's a little riskier but I like baseball sliding myself into the darce position more than trying to vice grip and dump them down into it. Just slide right into the lock. Against bigger guys especially wrestlers with good base I just have a tough time keeping them on their side on that crank down but I'll keep trying. Maybe I need to try to just crank them down and fall right into the Japanese and not even worry about going hand on biceps first.
You want them to pop back up after the dump. It makes getting a deep D'Arce way easier

You want them to pop back up after the dump. It makes getting a deep D'Arce way easier
Wonder if we like the same move? So if my right arm is threaded from behind the shoulder popping out the neck I like to vice grip and crank down and then when they pop back up slide all the way onto my right hip and walk them down to finish. Or you can even hop over and catch it on the far side. Is that what you do too? I thought you mean you try to hold them on their side and lock the darce from the top.

Basically I like to do this below but I like to at least try to dump them over first and then catch it as they pop up.

Back