Your first time....

Brampton_Boy

Douchey Mc Douche
@red
Reaction score
I am feeling a bit nostalgic, and decided to post a thread about my first time.

I remember how nervous I was, my heart was pounding, my hands were shaking... I was only 13, but I knew I was ready.

I flipped the dip switch, and SUCCESS! My Celeron 266 was overclocked to 300mhz. And so started my love affair with computers, and in specific, overclocking. These days things are really simple - between UEFI bioses and auto overclock buttons, kids don't know how easy they have it.

I remember using a pencil to unlock the multiplier on my old Duron CPUs, cracking the core on an 2500xp trying to install those old clip coolers. My favorite combo was an Abit BP6 and dual Celeron 366s.

These days I no longer have the time to troubleshoot and extensively stress test my computers. While I still overclocked my current CPU (4770k), it was more a half hearted attempt at a very conservative speed bump. Long gone are the days where I would prop a house fan in the side of the case to squeeze out every last mhz.

So what was your first overclocking experience? (or anything related to computer hardware as a hobby)`

P.S: I didn't have my "actual" first time until I was 19. I probably don't need to say that I wasn't the coolest kid in highschool :)

Haha I knew you were better than that. I've only built my current PC and done some part swaps, but I was shocked at how easy it was. I followed the newegg youtube tutorials, expecting something to go wrong the whole time, but everything worked just fine. I have a mild overclock on my CPU (I also have a 4770k) and GPU, but I don't notice much difference in performance and am considering putting them back to stock for lower temps.

2malhLE.jpg

About the same story here when I was 14/15 and desperate to suck out every late usable drop of functionality out of my 166mhz p1 I found out that the 133/166/200mhz models of the Aptiva all used the same 200mhz processor. I bravely over clocked it to 233mhz. Felt good man, felt good.

2malhLE.jpg

About the same story here when I was 14/15 and desperate to suck out every late usable drop of functionality out of my 166mhz p1 I found out that the 133/166/200mhz models of the Aptiva all used the same 200mhz processor. I bravely over clocked it to 233mhz. Felt good man, felt good.

2malhLE.jpg

funny-pictures-overclock.jpg

Back